SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 01, 2002, 10:37 PM
Stow, MA
Joined Mar 2002
1,027 Posts
Got my Zero! Need some advice on Rx and battery pack

I picked up a GWS Zero at our local shop today and can't wait to get it flying! But, I'm a bit confused about flight packs after talking to both the shop manager and one of the few guys at our club that flies electrics. Based on the Zero manual and previous posts here, I had planned to buy:

GWS R6N Rx
Hitec HS-55 servos (3x)
GWS-400 ESC
720 mAh 7.2-8.4 V NiMh packs
charger (not sure what model)

Here's my questions:

1. NiCd or NiMh? The "electric expert" at our club recommended using only NiCds with 7 or more cells... said the NiMh don't provide current fast enough for the Zero motor. But, I've seen a bunch of posts here recommending NiMh to keep the weight and landing speed down.

2. Where do you guys get 720 mAh NiMh packs? The closest I've found are 600 mAh 8.4 or 9.6 V AAA packs at www.balsapr.com. Will these packs give me decent flight times and power or should I find the 720 mAh NiMh?

3. GWS micro receiver, or a Hitec 555? Again, the "electric expert" at our club recommended the Hitec 555. His reason was that the Zero goes 30-35 mph, and you could get out of the 1000 foot range fairly quickly. What Rx are you guys using for the Zero?

Thanks for your help. I'm making the jump from glow power and I've got a lot to learn.

Carl
cfossa is offline Find More Posts by cfossa
to remove ads between posts