HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by marshallcowboy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 11:27 AM
Dana, Indiana
Joined Jan 2007
557 Posts
Not a long post! It's always great to hear of a new fliers successes and you get the feel of their excitement when they can give a detailed account of a great day at the field.
Congtrats, good luck and happy flying!
whitewolf is offline Find More Posts by whitewolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 01:32 PM
USA, NY, Troy
Joined Jul 2010
57 Posts
Hello,
I'm somewhat of a newbie to this great addictive hobby! I started learning how to fly rc planes at a local club last summer with a great bunch of guys! My instructor has over 40 years of experience with flying model planes. He has told me that I have yet to ask him a stupid question. The man has the patience of a saint. I guess my point is, don't be afraid to ask anything because there will always be someone at the field that is willing to help.
My first plane is a Sig Kadet Senior which is now under a long extensive repair. Oh she will fly again!
I just received my second plane a Hobbistar 60 MK III. Does anyone have any tips or hints I should know about with the Hobbistar 60?
EBurkart3rd is offline Find More Posts by EBurkart3rd
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:36 PM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
I don't personally, but...

"Does anyone have any tips or hints I should know about with the Hobbistar 60?"

Recommend you use the search function, as there are a lot of folks on other threads with experience with that particular one.

Regards,

Crash
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:35 PM
USA, NY, Troy
Joined Jul 2010
57 Posts
Couldn't find anything recent. So I started one. Thanks Crash.
EBurkart3rd is offline Find More Posts by EBurkart3rd
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:54 AM
Pro Bro # 2398
BoonVegas, Indiana
Joined Dec 2005
672 Posts
a friend of mine bought this plane 3 years ago plus a Great Planes Master caddy with all the accessories, he flew it one time with a trainer guy at the local field itscomes with the old Fm radio though. he wants to sell but wont go lower than 200 bucks. its in almost new condition. is this a good buy for 200 clams ?
GassPasser is offline Find More Posts by GassPasser
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:55 AM
SUPERB RC CRASH MASTER
Houston, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2004
987 Posts
Evaluate everything with a fine -tooth comb. Nit-pick & tell him your concerns.

Pull out an envelope marked $160.00" and ask him if he'll take it.

If you want to meet him half-way, that's your own personal decision.

Just make sure the items are in GREAT condition, as you've previously described.
rc crashburn is offline Find More Posts by rc crashburn
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:55 AM
Rc Helicoptero aficionado
Joined Mar 2011
29 Posts
it's hard to see,you'd better do a test before flying
henriquedeton is offline Find More Posts by henriquedeton
Old Mar 26, 2011, 09:58 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
I've taught 3 guys with the H-9 p-51 mustang PTS.
It's a great trainer.
it's easier to land due to no nose gear,
being a low wing doing cross wind take offs are a breeze because the wind doesn't get under the wing like on a high wing plane.
One guy I trained is still flying his 4 years later
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:59 PM
as the name says!
Barbados
Joined Sep 2012
409 Posts
does anyone have any tips on buying a tower trainer 40 mkii?
AirplaneFreak100 is offline Find More Posts by AirplaneFreak100
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:13 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,055 Posts
The TT 40 is a great plane, I actually have one in the garage. It is a good first plane, but you won't get board of flying it either.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:28 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
New to Nitro Planes

Hello, I'm a newbie to nitro planes and i just bought an old kit from a local guy in my area and i have a few questions. The kit i have is a Thunder Tiger Olympic 20L which isn't made anymore. Does anyone know how to attach the wings to the fuselage. It has two small dowel rods that go through the fuselage so do i use rubber bands to attach the wings, the instructions don't say how to attach the wings which i thought was weird. Also it says to use a .25 size engine, I was looking at getting a a O.S. 25LA ABN or a Thunder Tiger GP .28 ABN. I'm not sure which engine would be better, I want something that is reliable and easy to tune. Don't care about having a ton of speed. I was also looking at a Thunder Tiger PRO .36 but I'm not sure if it will fit, I also don't want to have to worry about ripping the wings off with having too much power.
Any help would be great.
mudboggin3 is offline Find More Posts by mudboggin3
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,055 Posts
The rubber bands will go front to back straight then front to back cross. If you do it on one side do it on the other you should have a total of 8 rubber bands when you are done. I would go with the TT GP .28. Os makes good engines, but the LA line just isn't the best that os makes, because they lack in power. TT makes great running engines that last a long time. Another thing you can do if you think you will be having alot of questions is post a new thread, because this thread isn't looked at as much anymore. Just remember that you can ask any questions you want, most of us on the forum have learned the hard way and want to make your experience a great one.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply kylerdinger. So this plane does use rubber bands. This is my first balsa plane so i use to foamies where you just glue everything. Do i just make sure the wing is even on the fuselage and rubber band it like you said? I was reading reviews on the O.S. 25 LA and most reviews were bad as far as power like you said. Do you think the Thunder Tiger PRO .36 would be too much for this plane. I'm asking because it is only a few dollars more and also has ball bearings for the crankshaft which the Thunder Tiger GP .28 doesn't. I'm taking you advice and starting a new thread. Thanks
mudboggin3 is offline Find More Posts by mudboggin3
Old May 10, 2013, 09:12 AM
Twistaholic AMA 134406
USA, TX, Teague
Joined Jul 2007
5,524 Posts
Boggin....where you at in your progress?

(keepin it fresh)
Dad_Roman is online now Find More Posts by Dad_Roman
Old May 16, 2013, 08:07 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
spend the money and get the OS 25 fx. That engine runs super fine and holds it's value should you ever sell it.
That would be the perfect combo and if you wanted to put it in a war bird there are a few 25 combat warbirds out there.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50