SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2005, 09:31 AM
Foam Flyer
Stockbridge, Georgia, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,931 Posts
Gallery
Multiplex Royal EVO Part IV

As directed per the moderator, a continuance of the very lengthy, detailed and valuable discussions concerning all things relating to the MPX EVO transmitter. We are now at part 4!

The Original part 1 is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154635

Part 2 is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268471

Part 3 is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=321734

Multiplex FAQ is here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300553

Keep in mind that many quick answers concerning the MPX EVO radio can be found through the "MPX EVO FAQ" manuscript (see the sticky post at the top of the RADIOS forum), which is a collection of topics and postings that were extracted from RCGroups.com and condensed into a single point of location.

Fly Multiplex!

( NOTE I cut and pasted all this info from the other threads and the above text is from user Joedy)
Depdog is offline Find More Posts by Depdog
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2005, 12:18 PM
Holger Rusch
Germany, Karlsruhe
Joined Apr 2003
415 Posts
Suggestion:

Wouldnt it be the best to post individual problems about the EVO in seperate threads as all other TXs are handled in this group? Information in one thread isnt helpfull because you couldnt find anything if you are searching for it.

And why dont we use the "Hitec/MPX" forum part and post there?

The actual handling with one megathread is bad.
Prof. Dr. YoMan is offline Find More Posts by Prof. Dr. YoMan
Old Apr 07, 2005, 02:22 PM
Fiberglass dont bounce???
Zion, Il.
Joined Sep 2002
2,408 Posts
Prof. Dr. Yoman, I saw your post about the Evo "ears" and wires, Does this mean that the Evos with ears are the newer ones? I ask because I remember reading (back in this thread somewhere) that the older Evos had a problem with a resister (I think it was a resister) when you plug them into a flight simm. I also remember reading that with the newer Evos this problem was fixxed. I wonder if the Evo has ears is it the newer one with the fixxed resister? I would like to know so I dont have to keep unplugging my synth unit every time I plug the Evo into a simm. Thanks, ...R...
RandyK1 is offline Find More Posts by RandyK1
Old Apr 07, 2005, 05:18 PM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Prof. Dr. YoMan -

With all due respect - bad suggestion. Fragmenting things too much dilutes the information exchange. If you know how to use the ezone's search function you can find most anything. There's also almost always someone using the thread who'll direct you to anything which the search function can not find.

It works and if it ain't broke, don't mess around with it.

ronw
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Apr 08, 2005, 01:53 AM
Holger Rusch
Germany, Karlsruhe
Joined Apr 2003
415 Posts
Randy: They know about the "Synthie-Module dead" problem, but according to Mr. Schneider MPX never changed anything on the design or production of the EVO or the Synthie-Module to change that.

Ron: The board give the opportunity to use different threads on different topics. Why not use it?
Why posting a message about the EVO programming in the same thread as a problem with hardware and in the same thread as EVO extension questions and ...?

I dont see all Futaba questions in one thread.

And why are there groups and threads anyways? Why dont we all post into ONE thread. Its still searchable.

Sorry i dont get it.
Old Apr 08, 2005, 06:02 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Prof. Dr. YoMan -

Threads have a way of disappearing into the depths of a forum and then when they're not on the first or second page, whatever is there gets the post that should have been somewhere else.

One of the reasons this thread has been so successful is that there's no need to look all over the place for fragmented info, jumping from thread to thread or having to browse through multiple threads on one subject.

The best example is that there already is a thread on programming the EVO that Joedy started as the EVO tutorial thread. It was seldom used after the tutorial itself became a reality and is now locked and hasn't been reopened.

There already is another thread entitled "Royal EVO Programming Help." which was started in response to one particular question but did not result in the resolution of that question on that thread. Had that question been asked on this thread (it might have been, I don't particularly remember) it would most likely have been resolved in short order.

So, there is your separate thread for programming that has enjoyed five posts and then disappeared. I suppose you could start threads that broke down the discussion of the EVO into its logical parts and see what happens. The history is here to see - this one thread is the survivor and the place to go to ask an EVO question. K.I.S.S.
Old Apr 08, 2005, 06:31 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
I endeavored to produce the EVO FAQ as a way of addressing the burden of searching this forum and answering the common questions that seem to appear on a regular basis.

I agree with Ron. While the burden of a massive thread (this is the fourth one, yet) places the readers in a position of using search features, it does allow it to stay at the top of the forum due to its frequent activity which makes it somewhat easier for new EVO pilots to join in. The irony, I realize, is that new EVO pilots (and especially, new RCGroups members) tend to not utilize the search feature and ask the same questions that the EVO FAQ was written to address.

Another notion to keep in mind is that while I've observed astounding patience and unwaivering devotion of fellow RCGroup members assisting new MPX pilots (something that I do not regularly see on the other radio brand threads), it is not unreasonable to presume that a day will come when a capable MPX pilot will be reluctant to answer a question that they have answered several times before? The benefit of having a large thread helps in the quest of searching the forums for answers that have already been posted.

Another thing to consider is that this thread isn't just a programming "query/answer" format as it is as a medium for general discussions regarding the EVO.

Personally, I like having one location for the EVO thread.

-joedy
Joedy is offline Find More Posts by Joedy
Last edited by Joedy; Apr 08, 2005 at 06:38 AM.
Old Apr 08, 2005, 07:45 AM
Holger Rusch
Germany, Karlsruhe
Joined Apr 2003
415 Posts
Well, as i cant change the way ppl use the forum, it tend to stay the way it is with one megathread.

But nobody can find anything in the EVO thread without using the forum search as all 4 threads got more than 100 pages i guess. Questions and answers are also doubled (or more) in the threads as they would be if there where several threads. And information will be found with the forum help either if they are in one thread, or if they are in different ones.

IMHO a clear subject for every question would help more. And maybe one sticky post which leads to all essential ongoing threads with the EVO as topic. Still simple, got to find, but categorized and "reviewed". Yes that means work for one person, but even better that getting all the same all along.

Now i will get quite on this topic and keep on reading and answering.
Old Apr 08, 2005, 10:54 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
One more comment from me: I've been reading this thread since it's inception and have found very little repetition. One of the means of searching Mr. Rusch (how nice to know the name behind the handle) has not mentioned and perhaps not been exposed to is by directly asking the question in the thread - it's amazing how quickly and generously all questions are answered or directed even if they've been asked before.

I think the example was set by Joedy and Harry C early on and picked up by others as the thread progressed.
Old Apr 08, 2005, 10:54 AM
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jan 2001
1,696 Posts
Can someone tell me the differences between software versions 1.28b and 1.40? I think I'm going to reset my Evo 9 to the factory defaults and start all over learning to program the thing since I don't seem to be getting anywhere with it and I would like to know if there is any reason for me to update to the latest version of the software. I know 1.40 has official support for shift select but that isn't an issue for me. As a long time Airtronics flyer, all my receivers are positive shift. Anyway, is there anything else in 1.40 that would be worth the upgrade?
georgeg is offline Find More Posts by georgeg
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2005, 11:20 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
Can someone tell me the differences between software versions 1.28b and 1.40?
Look here:

http://www.multiplex-rc.de/cms/vorsc...fo_sw_9_12.pdf (different languages, scroll!)
WimH is offline Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Apr 08, 2005, 11:34 AM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. YoMan
But nobody can find anything in the EVO thread without using the forum search as all 4 threads got more than 100 pages i guess. Questions and answers are also doubled (or more) in the threads as they would be if there where several threads...

Don't forget that you can set your results as either "Threads" or "Posts"!

This means if your keywords contain, "EVO, widget, 'P' and install" you can filter out the thread to give only posts that contain these words.

The results links displayed will take you directly to that specific post that fits your search criteria and not to the start of the entire thread topic!

This feature is down near the bottom left of the search screen and is easily overlooked.

-joedy
Old Apr 08, 2005, 12:05 PM
Joined Jan 2001
1,696 Posts
Joedy,
Getting back to the tutorial section 12.9, Automatic Crow (Butterfly) Deployment, you give suggested settings for the FlpCrv+ mixer but you don't assign the mixer to anything so how do you set the values? Shouldn't FlpCrv+ be assigned to the flaps?

BTW, if you have any thought of revising this section of the tutorial, I think AilCROW+ is a better suggested name for the first of the two mixers in this section than CrwFlp+ which you used.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2005, 02:58 PM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeg
Joedy,
...you don't assign the mixer to anything so how do you set the values? Shouldn't FlpCrv+ be assigned to the flaps?

BTW, if you have any thought of revising this section of the tutorial, I think AilCROW+ is a better suggested name for the first of the two mixers in this section than CrwFlp+ which you used.
You change the values in the MIXER menu, but you must assign the mixer before it shows up on the MIXER menu list. Yes, the FlpCrv+ should be assigned to the flaps if the flap servos should move when one of the control inputs into the mixer is activated.

No, I'm not inclined to do any more revisions to the EVO Tutorial (I've done a TON of them already,) but your suggestion to change the mixer name illustrates perfectly one of the most powerful and able features of the EVO - customization!

Of course, you could even name the mixer "UGLYMAMA" if you were so inclined, but the point is, the sky is the limit and to pick out a mixer naming schematic that appeals to you and fits your style.

Welcome to Multiplexland, George. How do you like the EVO so far?

-joedy
Old Apr 08, 2005, 03:32 PM
Joined Jan 2001
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedy

Welcome to Multiplexland, George. How do you like the EVO so far?

-joedy
If I ever figure it out, I think I'll love it. I've had it since last fall but have yet to successfuly program a model in it. As far as possible, I want the control placement to match my existing Airtronics transmitters (an ATRC'd Module and a Stylus) so I'm not doing something one way on one tx and totally different on another. I haven't built anything new since I got the Evo, tho I do have an unlimited sailplane I'd like to get into the air as a backup to my main competition bird. I'll keep plugging away at it and keep asking dumb questions and eventually, I'll get it, I hope!

BTW, at an out of town glider contest last weekend, I actually saw 3 Evo 12 transmitters in the impound.
RCG Plus Member