HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2005, 03:28 PM
Nor Cal
Joined Mar 2005
35 Posts
MK1 & MK2 HOR Kyosho differences?

A friend is giving me an old Kyosho MK1 bike, I plan to use it to learn to drive real R/C bikes and the price is right! My question is, how competitive would one of these be against a new MK2 HOR??? What upgrades can I do and still keep it racing in the stock class or would I have to race in the modified class if I do any upgrades? My goal is to go to the Nationals in LA and not make a complete ass of myself.

TIA
CycloneRacer is offline Find More Posts by CycloneRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2005, 04:29 PM
antioch ca.
Joined Jul 2004
43 Posts
Dan ask Ian hes the hor god he can tell you anything about the hors you want to know. I'm going to try and run my bikes next weekend. May be you can come out and run the tt and get some practice> I'm try to get my nitro painted and fired up and run it lmk if you like to meet up.

talk to ya later
mike
On one again is offline Find More Posts by On one again
Old Apr 06, 2005, 04:50 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by On one again
hes the hor god
Hi guys, this is god. I'm taking time out of my prayer anwsering job to answer you. . .

hehe in all seriousness, the Mk1 is faster than the Mk2 HOR heads up.

BUT!!!

since the Mk1 is discontinued (no spare parts can be bought on online stores anymore), it's tough to stay competitive for a whole weekend. The risk of parts breaking with any bike is high in racing conditions, so unless you have a spare Mk1 bike handy you're S.O.L. if you break a part on the first day.

Ian
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Apr 06, 2005, 05:24 PM
Nor Cal
Joined Mar 2005
35 Posts
Thanks, God!!!

I guess I should start cornering the market on ebay for MK1 parts!!!

Mike, Are you coming to Fremont for the boat race on Saturday??? Sunday morning were screwing with the Drag boat before Brian leaves for home. How about the afternoon? Delta or do you have a better spot?
Last edited by CycloneRacer; Apr 06, 2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2005, 07:36 PM
Nor Cal
Joined Mar 2005
35 Posts
OK, HOR God, can you identify this and tell me what I have??? It doesn't look like any of the pics of a MK1 I saw when I did a search. It has FA Series stamped into the plastic just behind the fairing.

Is it a toy or is it worth fixing up?

It has 8 AA bateries, there is also a charging jack on the side, but I havn't started taking it apart yet. It also has a belt drive, no chain.
Old Apr 06, 2005, 08:31 PM
Nor Cal
Joined Mar 2005
35 Posts
Never mind, I found Ian's post link

Do you think it would worth converting over to Nihm cells? I have about 30 brand new GP1100's here and plenty of speed controls & radio gear. Would it still be legal for 1/8 scale stock if I don't change to a BL and keep a 280 in it?

Damn, riding these bikes is like learning to fly again!!! I spend more time walking over to right it then I do driving it!!! I already broke the Ricky bikes crash bars and scratched my neighbors Mercedes, I felt like a kid again looking to see if any other neighbor saw me do it, then hid it in the house!!!

Hey Mike, is that offer still good to ride your TT?!? I think I already broke all my toys!

I think I'm hooked!
Old Apr 06, 2005, 09:25 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,655 Posts
Hey Cyclone... your bike is the Graupner bike... not Kyosho....

Here's the post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...44&postcount=1
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Apr 06, 2005, 09:55 PM
Nor Cal
Joined Mar 2005
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akura2
Hey Cyclone... your bike is the Graupner bike... not Kyosho....

Here's the post

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...44&postcount=1
Hi Akura, Thanks for that link! That's the same bike, but mine is clearly labeled Kyosho, Graupner is fairly well known for branding other products under their own name, maybe that was the case on this one? Do you know when that article was written?

It could also be possible that either Graupner or Kyosho bought the manufacturing from the other.
Old Apr 06, 2005, 10:19 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
I think it might actually be a Kyosho 1/6 RTR. Someone else on the forum had one a while back. It does look similar to a Graupner, but there are some differences, looking at the pics and my bikes here. It depends on the size too, but in the pics it also looks a bit small to be a Graupner.
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Apr 06, 2005, 10:39 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,316 Posts
Steve's right, the bike you have is from Kyosho. I have one of these sitting around in the box for nostalgic purposes.

It's slightly longer than the Mk1, 1/7th scale, and is called "FA" because it comes factory assembled. You can easily put in your own ESC, batteries, servo and receiver inside. The tough part is converting it into chain drive, you'll have to steal a HOR gearbox, gears, sprocket, and chain to convert from belt. It's a must though.

Also consider a solid silicone insert for the front tire and foam insert for the rear. I think there's already a metal flywheel in the front wheel, take it out.

Oh and find a way to secure the rider, he's designed a bit differently and falls off somtimes.

Ian
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Apr 07, 2005, 05:19 AM
www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/
Athens, Greece
Joined Oct 2003
3,284 Posts
I also have some pics of this bike, on my site at:

http://www.steliosh.net/rcmoto/fa_series.htm
steliosh is offline Find More Posts by steliosh
Old Apr 07, 2005, 09:06 AM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,655 Posts
I stand/sit corrected...... I dodn't know Kyosho ever made a belt-drive bike...... well you learn something new every day
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2