Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:15 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Yuze gize using the heat shrink/epoxy setup for installing the servos? Not having the right size heat shrink is one reason I ask, if it's the way to go I'll have to send for some
I use painters tape and goop in my sailplanes but I'm not sure that would take the stress. Open to other ideas too.
I am using the heatshrink/Gorilla Glue method... My friend uses packing tape v.s. heatshrink. Pretty much all the same I think.
I get my heatshrink from an electrical contractor supply shop. They have loads of cool products and tons of heatshrink sizes too! Check your area...
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btpalc View Post
Dwight i do not know Jimm or Dan by Name but I have probably seen them in the Park. BTW I have been in Vista View at the begining when they started back when the entrance was still free. Than I mooved to Markham when I started with gas power. I still have Electrics but I fly them in Markham, missing Vista View
The entrance to Vista (and Markham) is still free Monday through Friday.

I believe I paid $140 for the Siren, they had to order it though.
I am getting my servos (Hitec Mini Mites HS65) for about $8<$10 ea...
I get my props/hub/Spinner from Espiritmodel.com (40mm Aeronaut w/ White Turbo Spinner)
and, as everyone knows, I use the MVVS motors lol

My interest has been peaked with the Gearbox setup KR is using, the video he posted was rather compelling... I'm frustrated that the 28/56 3???Kv motor is discontinued... any suggestions KR on a Hot setup replacement other than the 28/45 series that will work with the gearbox?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Dwight, you let me know when we can meet at Waricks an Ill be there, Ijust need the Siren and the Gear drive from GP everything els I have. No not true I need the spiner and props
I have a pretty quite Friday from what I can tell at this point, Sat and Sun seem quiet also.. I'm going to the Bahamas for the week starting Monday, so if you are ready to make a move we can hook up Friday<Sunday if you like? Send me a PM (personal message) with your number and I'll call you to set it up ok?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:49 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 6 View Post
The entrance to Vista (and Markham) is still free Monday through Friday.

I believe I paid $140 for the Siren, they had to order it though.
I am getting my servos (Hitec Mini Mites HS65) for about $8<$10 ea...
I get my props/hub/Spinner from Espiritmodel.com (40mm Aeronaut w/ White Turbo Spinner)
and, as everyone knows, I use the MVVS motors lol

My interest has been peaked with the Gearbox setup KR is using, the video he posted was rather compelling... I'm frustrated that the 28/56 3???Kv motor is discontinued... any suggestions KR on a Hot setup replacement other than the 28/45 series that will work with the gearbox?
Crap!

Sorry about that - I was just putting together a video from my flying this morning with that motor. All my fault leading you on. I didn't know the 28-56-3200 was discontinued. (Now that I think of it, they must have just recently discontinued it because I was testing that motor in another project at work.)

Why don't you like the 28-45-3600?

I tell you it's not much of a step down from the 56-3200. If you read my posts I say just the same.

You're still in the 800W neighborhood. You'll want to go with the 13 x 8 prop.

If, for whatever reason, you're dead set against the 28-45-3600 the closest thing I can think of would be a similar HET motor (2W-20 if memory serves). Somebody else was inquiring about that just the other day.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, FL, Hallandale Beach
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Yes KR, that was me I have one, I just need the GP Geardrive for it and ofcours the Siren that goes with it Demon Im sending you a PM right now with my Phone#. this weekend we can meet @ Waricks no problem , is good to go there with someone that knows what to get so I don;t buy the stoff I dont need.

Bernie
btpalc is offline Find More Posts by btpalc
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
hey got an offer for a used one. wing is cut in half for shipping is that bad?
can that be fixed with no problems?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Crap!

Sorry about that - I was just putting together a video from my flying this morning with that motor. All my fault leading you on. I didn't know the 28-56-3200 was discontinued. (Now that I think of it, they must have just recently discontinued it because I was testing that motor in another project at work.)

Why don't you like the 28-45-3600?

I tell you it's not much of a step down from the 56-3200. If you read my posts I say just the same.

You're still in the 800W neighborhood. You'll want to go with the 13 x 8 prop.

If, for whatever reason, you're dead set against the 28-45-3600 the closest thing I can think of would be a similar HET motor (2W-20 if memory serves). Somebody else was inquiring about that just the other day.

Tim
KR-
Not set against it per se... 800W should be fine I suppose (snicker)
I have a Jeti 70A ESC... that should be ok? or should I go bigger?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Yes KR, that was me I have one, I just need the GP Geardrive for it and ofcours the Siren that goes with it Demon Im sending you a PM right now with my Phone#. this weekend we can meet @ Waricks no problem , is good to go there with someone that knows what to get so I don;t buy the stoff I dont need.

Bernie
B-
Cool... this weekend it is... I'll call you on Thursday and we'll set it up...
As far as the "Cut" wing goes... shouldn't be a problem. I had a Siren wing "Fold" on me during some, as we say, "High Wattage testing" and after they folded in mid-air she Auto-rotated back to earth from about 600ft with the two wing sections, attached only by servo wires, beat and punctured the main wing to death... I repaired it and flew it just fine... So, I think the cut wing will be fine.. I can help if you need me too, not a problem at all.
-D
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:44 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,478 Posts
Just got hold of an AeroNaut 13x6.5 and ran it on the test bench - so now I have a bit more data to compare and share with you guys.

______<------3 Cell ------><-----4 Cell ------>
_______Amps___Watts____Kg____Amps___Watts____Kg
12x6____24_____265____1.4_____37_____557____2.4
13x6.5__28_____311____1.6_____46_____682____2.7
14x9____44_____448____1.9_____66_____910____2.8

LiPo's were NanoTech 3S 2200mAh 45-90C and 4S - 2200mAh 45-90C.

Going by the max motor specs of 45A and 840W, I think we have a winner running the 13x6.5 prop.

On 4S, it gave me 46A for 682W and 2.7kg of static thrust.

There's a bit left to go there as far as Watts are concerened, but the Amps are about as far as I want to push them.

I didn't realise that the Sirens are spec'd to around 500W, so the 682W is still acceptable IMHO. Note to self - no heavy elevator pulls (but she should climb and flat-pass nicely )

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Last edited by BJ64; Aug 02, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:25 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,478 Posts
Quote:
B-
... I had a Siren wing "Fold" on me during some, as we say, "High Wattage testing" ...
Exactly what do you consider "High Wattage"?

Hopefully somewhere in the order of 1kW, and not down in the 600's - I had the wings cut on my pre-loved Siren for transport reasons and joined them back together again with some 7mm x1mm wall thickness CF tube and a fair bit of WBPU.

Hoping now my that wings don't fall off too...

BJ
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:53 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,706 Posts
Quote:
KR-
Not set against it per se... 800W should be fine I suppose (snicker)
I have a Jeti 70A ESC... that should be ok? or should I go bigger?
We're talking about the 28-45-3600 Ammo on 4s with the 13 x 8 prop (and that's a 2700mAh 65C battery - anything less may "choke down" the current and Watts a little if the battery cannot deliver);

If you go back and look at my data posted in my blog and in my posts you'll see the most it pulls at full-throttle is about 70A. But in the air the most it pulls at full-throttle is about 50A - 60A, so I think a 70A ESC would be just fine.

I don't launch at full-throttle any more, so the ESC or motor never sees that 70A "static" draw anyway.

Tim
Last edited by KRProton; Aug 02, 2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:59 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
I decided to go with a new out of the Box and put my own wing together with Demon's Help and experience.Like that Im sure is going to be strong and hold for a long time
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
....I don't launch at full-throttle any more...

Tim
I'm not surprised, Tim.

Even with my rather modest set-up at the moment, I can hardly hold on to it with anything over half throttle...

BJ
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:30 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,706 Posts
Quote:
B-
Cool... this weekend it is... I'll call you on Thursday and we'll set it up...
As far as the "Cut" wing goes... shouldn't be a problem. I had a Siren wing "Fold" on me during some, as we say, "High Wattage testing" and after they folded in mid-air she Auto-rotated back to earth from about 600ft with the two wing sections, attached only by servo wires, beat and punctured the main wing to death... I repaired it and flew it just fine... So, I think the cut wing will be fine.. I can help if you need me too, not a problem at all.
-D
Hey Demon.

About your wing failure, looks lit failed on both ends of the center panel where the outer panels join. Must have been the joiners then, right?

Did you use the stock joiner ply laminations that came with your Siren, or something different. And if different, what then?

Me, I made stronger joiners for mine...
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:15 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Hey Demon is Dean still fying @ Vista? How about Bob??