HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2007, 05:57 PM
Marx and Lennon
NW Atlanta
Joined Jan 2007
122 Posts
All-moving stab on "Siren" ?

Andy,

Just found the thread, via Tower's link to your review of the "Siren" plane. The comments are true, it's a great review, thanks!

I was surprised to see that the "Siren" has an elevator on the stab instead of the all-moving stab that is common. Has anybody modified their "Siren" to have an all-moving stab, or is that what they call "an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem?"

It's great to read all the comments on this site and I thank you all for providing such helpful information.
Cheers,

S_Dave
S_Dave is offline Find More Posts by S_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2007, 05:34 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
All-moving stab is actually not common at all with this kind of model - I can't say I've ever seen one, only on sailplanes.

You only need a very small amount of elevator movement, and there's nothing wrong with the incidence - so yes, you're looking to fix something that's not broken!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 20, 2007, 07:30 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
All-moving stab is actually not common at all with this kind of model - I can't say I've ever seen one, only on sailplanes.

You only need a very small amount of elevator movement, and there's nothing wrong with the incidence - so yes, you're looking to fix something that's not broken!
..a
Two planes with an all moving stab in this category (and there will be more) RW2b/c? and the Top Models Nike. I am really at a loss why more people don't do the full flying stab, it is just better.

I would agree that you are looking to fix nothing. After hacking my siren, I would build it stock, and enjoy it for what it is. By the way NVQ3, the guy who bought my first stock built siren is selling it. He hasn't even flown it. Built with 3 hs81 servos.

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jan 20, 2007, 07:59 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Siren ESC......

Would a Phoenix 45 be enough for a 3 cell powered Axi 2828-10 with a 12-13 in folder? What kinda of amps would I expect to see?

** Just saw Vantastics power setup that is quite similier to what I asked. Seems it might be do-able.

Spar
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:14 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,687 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with phoenix 45, so I don't know how much you can push it. Phoenix 80s can do 125 amps on 3s no problem. If you extrapolate that then you are looking at about 60 amps. Will you be pulling 60 amps on your setup, I doubt it but I haven't tested it.
Old Jan 20, 2007, 10:24 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,376 Posts
For a CC45 and 2826-10 I'd recommend you start with a ~13.7 prop. That should keep your WOT static near the 45 amp mark. Of course you're actually only at full throttle for 15-20 seconds at a time during your altitude climbs.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:01 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
motocalc says 35 amps max with a 12 x 8 prop as a baseline
HTH

Steve
pinolefm1 is offline Find More Posts by pinolefm1
Old Jan 20, 2007, 11:44 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Thanks for the info all. It should help when I make my power system purchase.

Am I wrong in believing the Siren would make a great "windy day" plane? I am under the impression this warmliner would do great for those days.

Spar
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:51 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow1717
Thanks for the info all. It should help when I make my power system purchase.

Am I wrong in believing the Siren would make a great "windy day" plane? I am under the impression this warmliner would do great for those days.

Spar
this plane flew SURPRISINGLY well in the wind. I actually liked this plane better in the wind.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 07:33 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I would go with a Phoenix 80.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 21, 2007, 01:34 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,376 Posts
I modified my Siren with flaps on the middle wing panel. WIth 2826-10, 14x9.5 prop, on 3-cell, 3200mAh, 20C battery, and UBEC it flew fine on a CC45...since that's all I had at the time. I was pushing the ESC, but figured it was only for <20 seconds at a time at WOT. My Siren was lost due to a glitch/shoot-down though. I put the same power system in my Bandit, but stepped up to a CC60 for a little more head room.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:02 AM
Charlotte
Joined Jan 2006
119 Posts
I have a Siren running an AXI 2826/8. I had been using a Aeronaught 13X8 folder with a Jeti 70A ESC on an 8cell Electrifly pack. I just changed batteries to a 10cell, 2000mah pack. The AXI literature reccomends a 12X8 prop for the 10cell pack. Will I be risking damage running the 13X8 prop? I seems to run fine on the ground with short throttle bursts, but I did not want to risk longer runs. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
flyboyrvk is offline Find More Posts by flyboyrvk
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:49 PM
Marx and Lennon
NW Atlanta
Joined Jan 2007
122 Posts
Responding to the "Siren" song...Removeable wings?

Guys,

My "Siren" just arrived here at work--eeeehhhhhAAAHH! I love it's lightness. I love the attractive look of CF. I love that they already have the motor mount, battery tray, etc. in place. You all were correct--it's great!

I've got an Axi 2820/10, 3S 2100 mAh Thunder Powers, and a Jeti 40 Advance that I can use. It's tempting to glue the wing panels in place and get it into the wind. But, it sure would be good to have the wing panels where you could take them apart for transport... Has anybody put a "Siren" together with removeable wings?

Thanks for the comments on the full-flying stab previously, and for all the good technical info.
Cheers and good flying,

S_Dave
S_Dave is offline Find More Posts by S_Dave
Old Jan 26, 2007, 02:35 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,376 Posts
Jay tried the removable panels on a Siren. He held the outer panels on with tape. I think he broke the ply joiners in a belly flop landing (not realizing they broke) then lost a wing panel (with crash of course) right after that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2007, 02:41 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,687 Posts
I would build the plane stock. That means you have a one piece wing. Everything being glued together effects where the stress points are. And with that stress riser in the in the joining block, I would just leave it stock.

j