HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:10 AM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
Flew mine again yesterday with the CG moved back to 3" (76.2mm) and Airbrake tweaked. Good news is the airbrake now works much better with no elevator compensation to maybe about 1/16 of down elevator. Bad news is that it won't fly level @ this CG. The elevator is now close to neutral, but it hunts terribly. It was pretty windy yesterday so I need to verify this on a calm day, but it felt pretty unstable. Did a 45 deg dive test and it did seem to tuck a bit so that would indicate tailheavy, but again, need a better day to verify. Penetration was also not as good as the other day.

The power-system still worked very nicely and still thinking I need more prop. Motor, ESC, and batteries were cold after 25 minutes of flying.

Messed around with aileron differential too and will go back to previous setting of 30%instead of the 50% I tried yesterday. 30% gives very nice axial rolls @ speed.

Still very happy, now just getting picky. My 6 year old loves the sound of the whistle as I flew it in front of us. For the money, it is quite a nice airplane.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Iceman67 is online now Find More Posts by Iceman67
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2010, 06:39 PM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
Hello Group.

Here are some pictures of my Siren. Very happy with it now as I have moved the CG back to 74 mm and it has really calmed down. Spoilerons are working very nicely and penetration is back. RTF weight is 51 ounces.

Will probably be getting some bigger props as I feel there is more speed and climb left in the system. Current set-up is great. The Hacker is really running great. The Electrifly 4.3:1 planetary is very quiet and smooth. The APC 13 x 10 folder has really shined. I wish they made a 14 x 10.

Will look elsewhere for bigger props, but will continue to fly as is for the rest of the season.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:12 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
RFM makes a 14x14.5, which is what I run on mine. Different power system, though..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:07 PM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
Well, I have had my first Failure. I blew out a gear in (1) HS-81 in the wing. Was able to land with (1) aileron and thank goodness the failed servo went back to near zero. Landed safely without incident.

Word to the wise that has been mentioned on this thread. USE METAL GEAR SERVOS!!!

I have HS-82's on order.

I am maxed out on power for this gearbox. Plan to strip the monocote, glass the wing joints, glass the very flimsy ailerons, and recover with Ultracote. After that, will consider higher power.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie, Indiana
Old Dec 07, 2010, 06:37 AM
Joined Feb 2009
183 Posts
Hi, i'm from Argentina and i'm building my Siren. I have some issues to fit the TGY AerodriveXp 25 SK Series 35-42 1000Kv / 605w in the nose... The problem I have are the wires that fit very tight; I can even put the screw in the firewall, also think the rotation of the motor may cut the wires...

Some one off you used this motor? Any tip to mount it?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7125

Thanks.-
pabmadi is online now Find More Posts by pabmadi
Old Dec 07, 2010, 07:42 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Make a hole in the nose where the wires can exit, then run them back inside the fuselage behind the motor.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 07, 2010, 08:33 AM
Joined Feb 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Make a hole in the nose where the wires can exit, then run them back inside the fuselage behind the motor.
..a
Or change the motor for one of this:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9449
Old Dec 27, 2010, 01:46 AM
Sonora, Califonia
Joined Jan 2002
445 Posts
Hi All,
This is my setup, (compiled from this thread). It works really well for learning to fly a Hotliner.
If you want more power, go to another plane that can handle it, (A HOTLINER),why trash this plane.
I really like this plane.
Motor: Turnigy C3548-1100 outrunner, wires fit fine inside fuse, no glue or heatshrink.
ESC: Turnigy Plush-60
Prop: Aeronaut Cam-C 13x8
Spinner: BB MODEL DKT4040 Turbospinner
Batt: Zippy Flightmax 3000 3S1P 20C
Reciever: Spektrum AR6255, antennas through fuse. per inst., so far NO signal losses detected in 20 flights.
Aileron Servos: HS-81
Elev Servo: HS-65MG
TX: DX7 w/spoilerons programmed.
AUW: 40oz.
51 amp., 520w. Static.
Climbs straight up. 3-5 seconds is my comfort height.
10 min. of warmliner flying uses 900ma
10 min. of beginner hotliner flying uses 1500ma
Nothing gets hot.
25 min. of thermal hunting used 1200ma
Only thing added was a GWS aluminum outrunner motor mount epoxied to the front ply mount.
Filed screw heads for spinner back to clear.
Opened wing saddle .25in, to fit batt. in.
It could use more weight to retain energy/speed, but Iím not there yet. Iíll add the second 3000,(8oz.), to the CG when I feel comfortable.
It covers lots of airspace just hunting for thermals w/o power.
It thermals well in medium lift, just crank it over to 30 degrees and try to keep it in the lift.
Did I say I really like this plane???
Good flying,
John
MISTERSCOTT is offline Find More Posts by MISTERSCOTT
Old Dec 27, 2010, 06:05 AM
Joined Feb 2009
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERSCOTT View Post
Hi All,
This is my setup, (compiled from this thread). It works really well for learning to fly a Hotliner.
If you want more power, go to another plane that can handle it, (A HOTLINER),why trash this plane.
Motor: Turnigy C3548-1100 outrunner, wires fit fine inside fuse, no glue or
How can you fit a 35-48 with out put the wires outisde off the fuse? I have Turnigy 35-42 and my wires get very tight inside; I'm planning to put outside...

Can you put some photos??

Thanks.-
Old Dec 28, 2010, 01:09 AM
Sonora, Califonia
Joined Jan 2002
445 Posts
Hi,
I tried to take a photo last night and was unable get a shot inside the fuse.
The wires just clear the motor at the front, by about a mm or two, but follow the fuse away from the can as the fuse gets wider. I can just see them through and below the left air vent.
I have the wires feeding out the motor case at about 4 o'clock viewd from the front, and feed the ESC which is under the battery tray. This seamed to be the clearest path away from the motor.
If you hold the fuse to a light, it will shine through the carbon weave,then you can see inside through the wing saddle to see whats going on.
Good flying,
John
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:23 PM
Retired Aero Engineer
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Oct 2010
112 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

Motor: Turnigy C3548-1100 outrunner, wires fit fine inside fuse, no glue or heatshrink. ......

Good flying,
John
John,

Where did you buy the Turnigy C3548-1100 motor?

I can find no references to that model online.
ronhowell is offline Find More Posts by ronhowell
Old Jan 02, 2011, 08:40 PM
Canada, ON, Kincardine
Joined Feb 2009
517 Posts
Turnigy is the house brand for hobbyking.com stuff.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...910&aff=102873
Helno is offline Find More Posts by Helno
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:02 AM
Sonora, Califonia
Joined Jan 2002
445 Posts
Hi,
Thanks Helno for posting the link, I was out of town.
Ron,
You should be able to find every thing else there at Hobby King.
That motor really fits well with the wires inside the fuse, since the motor is angled down toward the front, leaving room below its rear. Since the wires come out of the motor 90 degrees from the can they are forced against the fuse wall and stay there with the ESC trapped under the battery tray not able to move around.
Good flying,
John
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:14 PM
Retired Aero Engineer
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Oct 2010
112 Posts
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks Helno for posting the link, I was out of town.
Ron,
You should be able to find every thing else there at Hobby King.
That motor really fits well with the wires inside the fuse, since the motor is angled down toward the front, leaving room below its rear. Since the wires come out of the motor 90 degrees from the can they are forced against the fuse wall and stay there with the ESC trapped under the battery tray not able to move around.
Good flying,
John
Thanks for the pix of your setup John. Looks like the package I have on shipment from HK will work OK in my Siren, though the motor I ordered is a Turnigy 35-42A 1450 brushless. (About how long do their shipments take to California?)

The problem I am having in the Magellan E I received from ICARE is the power package doesn't compute. By that I mean the MEGA motor/prop package I sprang for leaves essentially zero motor spindle length for the folding prop collet to grab onto, when the motor is installed behind the bulkhead, which is 5.2 mm thick., and allowance is made for retaining bolt head and overall spinner clearance. The effective motor shaft length is only 10 mm.

I've e-mailed Etienne Dorig for a solution to this. The obvious ones are a longer motor shaft or prop spindle collet. He needs to address this in the package he sells.
ronhowell is offline Find More Posts by ronhowell
Last edited by ronhowell; Jan 03, 2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: To include motor type.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 03:47 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
3.2mm shaft with 10mm of overhang is more then enough meat for our use
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6