HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2010, 04:34 PM
Casstown, Ohio
Joined Sep 2010
45 Posts
Will you be replacing with another hotliner, if so what flavor?
Tailwind1 is offline Find More Posts by Tailwind1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2010, 04:37 PM
Casstown, Ohio
Joined Sep 2010
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Well my Siren bit the dust today. I have had 7 or 8 excellent flight on it since GP replaced my fuse and I put the new firewall on.

After flying for about 8 mins, I lost receiver signal at high altitude. I never regained control. As it stalled it went into a downward spiral in which both wing joiners snapped off before it hit the ground. I had killed the throttle at high altitude and was surprised that the force of the spiral ripped the wings off.

The plane is toast. Took out my 36mm ARC motor and 4S Rhino with it too.

It was fun while it lasted but I don't think that airframe and I are good for eachother.

BTW, I clocked it straight and level at 108mph last weekend.
Will you be replacing with another hotliner, if so what flavor?
Tailwind1 is offline Find More Posts by Tailwind1
Old Oct 09, 2010, 10:06 AM
born again slope junkie
warrnambool vic australia
Joined Sep 2009
772 Posts
maybe silly question but how far back are you guys moving the CofG ,, to get to book point have to add over 350 grams of lead ???

dave
dingb is offline Find More Posts by dingb
Old Oct 09, 2010, 11:27 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Im at something like 72mm from the root LE. You could probably move it further back and the plane would still fly well, but I have not tried this

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Oct 09, 2010, 12:43 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,813 Posts
Does the wings breakdown in to 2 pieces?
I ask b/c I'm afraid I wont be able to transport the plane.
I have a small trunk.

I have a Radian and the wings break down into 2 pieces and
it fits in my car just fine/....perfect fit into my trunk of car.

also....
what power set up (motor, battery, prop) can I use
for very long duration flights.....
floating, and steady level flights- 1/3-1/2 throttle, conservative throttle
for atleast 30minutes + ?
is it possible?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Oct 09, 2010, 02:59 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1 View Post
Does the wings breakdown in to 2 pieces?
I ask b/c I'm afraid I wont be able to transport the plane.
I have a small trunk.

I have a Radian and the wings break down into 2 pieces and
it fits in my car just fine/....perfect fit into my trunk of car.

also....
what power set up (motor, battery, prop) can I use
for very long duration flights.....
floating, and steady level flights- 1/3-1/2 throttle, conservative throttle
for atleast 30minutes + ?
is it possible?
The Siren is a 1 piece wing,which makes it a pain to transport.
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Old Oct 09, 2010, 09:39 PM
born again slope junkie
Joined Sep 2009
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
Im at something like 72mm from the root LE. You could probably move it further back and the plane would still fly well, but I have not tried this

Kid
thanks for that will move it back some more ,, not flown as of yet in process of final tidy up and didn't like the idea of so much balast in the nose,, not read all the thread but can see you have had some probs gettin this to perform ,, will get it maidened and post some photo's
dave
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:39 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingb View Post
maybe silly question but how far back are you guys moving the CofG ,, to get to book point have to add over 350 grams of lead ???

dave

The CG has been discussed in this thread *many* times..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 10, 2010, 04:21 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingb View Post
thanks for that will move it back some more ,, not flown as of yet in process of final tidy up and didn't like the idea of so much balast in the nose,, not read all the thread but can see you have had some probs gettin this to perform ,, will get it maidened and post some photo's
dave
Problems getting it to perform? My Siren has flown wonderful since day one. I had a short issue with a faulty servo connection, but that was purely user error. It has since been solved and the plane is beyond rock solid. It is probably the biggest head-turner out at our club field, with the possible exception of my F5D model.

Great Planes Siren Hotliner 2200W (4 min 11 sec)

It hauls balls!

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:37 PM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,507 Posts
Flew my siren for the first time today. It flys ok but is nowhere near as fast as my blizzard was. The cg needs a little adjusting and I will have it dialed in. I may end up going to dual batteries to get the cg right. I hate adding lead to any plane.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Oct 16, 2010, 08:40 AM
born again slope junkie
Joined Sep 2009
772 Posts
maiden mine today from local slope , flew great ( big breeze, 25knts gusting) 1 click of down trim was all that was needed,, opened throttle to see!! only to have it torque roll 3 parts up climb ,, not worried yet due conditions, will try from flat in less breeze next time .. all good at this point,,, sorry no vid

dave
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:59 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Guys,

Thinking about a Siren. This would be my first pass into the warmliner/hotliner world except for my Sky Runner.

I would like to use a Great Planes Rimfire 35-30-1250 Out-Runner Brushless that I have on the shelf. Based on some postings from Eric who was running a larger Rimfire 35-48 I presume it will fit. I expect to prop it for about 350 watts. Not looking for all out climb, but at about 140 watts/pound that should be more than adequate for my needs.

Should I have any concerns for fit? Will I need to run the wires outside the fuse?

Motor Diameter: 1.38" (35mm)
Motor Length: 1.18" (30mm)
Shaft Diameter: .16" (4mm)
Shaft Length: .65" (16.5mm)
Lead Length: 3" (76mm)
Connectors: Bullet type, .14" (3.5mm) diameter
Max. Constant Current: 30A
Max. Surge Current: 35A
Max. Constant Watts: 333W
Max. Burst Watts: 390W
No Load Current: 1.2A
Input Voltage: 7.4 - 11.1V (2 - 3S LiPo)
RPM/V (kV Rating): 1250
Weight: 2.5oz (71g)
Suggested Propeller Size: 10x4.5 - 10x7 electric
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Oct 28, 2010, 09:14 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Looks like Eric's was the same diameter, perhaps he can say if the wires were able to run inside the fuse..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:11 PM
Muncie, Indiana
Joined Jan 2009
333 Posts
Just maidened my new Siren today. Got it for my Birthday in June, but it has sat in the box way too long. Got it out Friday night and flew it this morning. Balanced @ 72mm and thought it was nose heavy. I will move it back next time to maybe 75mm. Needs over 1/6" up elevator to maintain level.

I have it set up with airbrakes/spoilerons. Not really got them set up right yet, but still learning. I haven't seemed to get the elevator compensation set right yet. Got a good 5/8" up on the spoilers and it certainly slows down, but I really have to work the elevator as it seems to be very pitch/speed sensitive with the spoilers up.

Power is supplied by a Hacker B40 7 turn F5D motor through an Electrifly 4.3:1 in-line gearbox on a 2S 3600 30C Turnigy Li-poly. (Motor was new in 2000 for F5D World Champs) Prop is an APC folder 13 x 10. ESC is a Castle Phoenix 80. I need to fly it with a Phoenix ICE as it seems under propped. Static it pulls 92 amps @ 8,100 rpm. Seems to really unload in the air so I may need more prop. Short blips of straight and level were quite fast. I did 20 or so 5-7 sec climbs and only used 1800 mah's. Batteries and power-system were barely warm after 15 minutes of flying. Lift was horrible, but at that altitude, took a while to come down.

Using JR 6103 with Corona 6ch synthesized rx and (3) Hitec HS-81 servos. I am using a 5cell 1100mah NimH for rx pack and not running BEC.

Overall performance is really good. It tracks very well. Once the cg is right, it will float better and be better for thermaling. Suffers from adverse yaw when slow, but nothing terrible. No shortage of power even on 2cells. It is unlimited vertical. Haven't weighed it, but I will when I get a scale. Flew completely on low rate and never had any feeling of control loss. Not sure why you would need the recomended high rate controls.

I'll get a video of it as soon as I can get someone to go out with me. Not as impressive as Kid's 2200watts, but my 700 watts is plenty. The 13 x 10 gives great speed and impressive climb.

Archie Adamisin
Muncie Indiana
Iceman67 is offline Find More Posts by Iceman67
Last edited by Iceman67; Nov 01, 2010 at 08:59 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 08:41 AM
born again slope junkie
Joined Sep 2009
772 Posts
got mine flying ok with CofG at 75mm , happy with it now ,, motor mount came adrift on second flight , also found the high rates way to much (mainly elevator) full control movement would stall the tail and cause the whole aircraft to cartwheel ( looked good for onlookers) will also try and get someone to do some vid
dave