HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2010, 11:26 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
Here it is

Great Planes Siren Hotliner 2200W (4 min 11 sec)

Again, the video doesn't fully show how fast it is in person. But it does about 120mph straight and level, and not much less then that straight up (probably 110 or so I would guess).

Nothing gets overly hot with this setup, mostly because 3 second motor runs are all you need. I tried one 5 second run and was uncomfortable with how high I was. A friend had his Radian with him, and so we did a climb and glide contest. He got 10 seconds of motor run, and I got 2.5. I beat him, even with him catching a pretty goof thermal! With 2.5 seconds of motor run I was able to glide for 3 minutes. Not a bad trade!

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2010, 12:08 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,782 Posts
Well my Siren bit the dust today. I have had 7 or 8 excellent flight on it since GP replaced my fuse and I put the new firewall on.

After flying for about 8 mins, I lost receiver signal at high altitude. I never regained control. As it stalled it went into a downward spiral in which both wing joiners snapped off before it hit the ground. I had killed the throttle at high altitude and was surprised that the force of the spiral ripped the wings off.

The plane is toast. Took out my 36mm ARC motor and 4S Rhino with it too.

It was fun while it lasted but I don't think that airframe and I are good for eachother.

BTW, I clocked it straight and level at 108mph last weekend.
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:25 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
Here it is

http://vimeo.com/13381482

Again, the video doesn't fully show how fast it is in person. But it does about 120mph straight and level, and not much less then that straight up (probably 110 or so I would guess).

Nothing gets overly hot with this setup, mostly because 3 second motor runs are all you need. I tried one 5 second run and was uncomfortable with how high I was. A friend had his Radian with him, and so we did a climb and glide contest. He got 10 seconds of motor run, and I got 2.5. I beat him, even with him catching a pretty goof thermal! With 2.5 seconds of motor run I was able to glide for 3 minutes. Not a bad trade!

Kid
Ya Kid,
You have captured the essence of hotlining..Big motor ,big prop..LMR motor run,Scream to the heavens,and free fall back to earth...Do it again..
Looks fun
Nice..
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:40 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Well my Siren bit the dust today. I have had 7 or 8 excellent flight on it since GP replaced my fuse and I put the new firewall on.

After flying for about 8 mins, I lost receiver signal at high altitude. I never regained control. As it stalled it went into a downward spiral in which both wing joiners snapped off before it hit the ground. I had killed the throttle at high altitude and was surprised that the force of the spiral ripped the wings off.

The plane is toast. Took out my 36mm ARC motor and 4S Rhino with it too.

It was fun while it lasted but I don't think that airframe and I are good for eachother.

BTW, I clocked it straight and level at 108mph last weekend.
Bummer...where were you flying? VP?
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:42 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Bummer...where were you flying? VP?
Yep. AR500. Funny, I have heard many stories of people losing signal with these receivers and I have never had an issue until yesterday.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 03:48 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Yep. AR500. Funny, I have heard many stories of people losing signal with these receivers and I have never had an issue until yesterday.

Where did it come down?

No problems with any of mine while in the air. Taken the T-28 up real high to. HAd a brown out in the Slick the other morning. Flew 2 batts, on the second one, landed, rolled out, then nothing for a couple seconds, then all ok. When it taxied back to me the Rx light was blinking. IE brown out.

Checked all the connections, re bound the rx, have about 6 flights since, 3 this morning.

Going to VP later? Winds look light, I think I'm going to SPARKS in the morning, so I might wait until then to fly.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Jul 16, 2010, 04:13 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
Where did it come down?

No problems with any of mine while in the air. Taken the T-28 up real high to. HAd a brown out in the Slick the other morning. Flew 2 batts, on the second one, landed, rolled out, then nothing for a couple seconds, then all ok. When it taxied back to me the Rx light was blinking. IE brown out.

Checked all the connections, re bound the rx, have about 6 flights since, 3 this morning.

Going to VP later? Winds look light, I think I'm going to SPARKS in the morning, so I might wait until then to fly.
Landed in the median of louetta, lost signal over the bank.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 05:39 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Huh. Posted a reply yesterday but don't see it.

Nice video, looks good Kid. Johnny, sorry to hear about yours..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:58 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Huh. Posted a reply yesterday but don't see it.

Nice video, looks good Kid. Johnny, sorry to hear about yours..
..a
I was really having a great time with the Siren. I wanted to replace it with something a little stronger, and have a warmliner for everyday flying when I can't fly my Flash II.

I decided to go with the Reichard Sprinter. It's a smaller, stronger wing and has a bigger fuse. It should be a good fit.

Hey Rob, I sold my P-51 and Typhoon to free up the funds for the replacement. The mustang has been fun, but it's the first plane I really started to get bored with.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 06:55 PM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Here's mine in all it's FPV glory
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Jul 22, 2010, 03:22 PM
I love woodie's too
Winterville, NC
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
Loving all the info here. I just picked one up so it's nice to see they are still in the air

Mine won't see a motor though... Building her as a sloper. Some reinforcing of the fuse and wings will be done before her maiden.
Carbon_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Carbon_Flyer
Old Jul 22, 2010, 04:11 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthWorkx View Post
Here's mine in all it's FPV glory
How about a look at that FPV first hand Stealth..
A link to youtube is good..
Nice lookin bird too..
Don
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Old Jul 23, 2010, 01:56 AM
What was that...
UK
Joined Nov 2009
2,110 Posts
Sure,
http://vimeo.com/13281978
i've only done 4 flights with her so far but I love it.
StealthWorkx is offline Find More Posts by StealthWorkx
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:44 AM
I love woodie's too
Winterville, NC
Joined Jul 2010
15 Posts
Had a problem with a wingtip being warped out of the box
The battery tray was installed very crooked but it was easily removed.

GP is replacing my wingtips for free so I am good with it....all in all I am happy with the plane. Can't wait to get it in the air.
Carbon_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Carbon_Flyer
Old Jul 28, 2010, 08:14 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,233 Posts
Does this model have the option for rudder also?
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor