HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 20, 2010, 10:53 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
I have never installed a firewall in a hotliner before. Is there anything else you use other than this industrial epoxy?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1529&langId=-1

Do you make a ring for the firewall to sit flush against or do you just epoxy it and set it?

Any pointers or how to for a job like this? I want to make sure this thing never comes out unless I want it to.

Thanks guys

BTW, this won't be for a Siren it will be for a Flash II
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2010, 05:26 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
You don't need expensive marine epoxy, just a reputable brand and make sure you have a small fillet on both sides..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 21, 2010, 07:01 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Johnny,
What I do is just tack weld the firewall in with Ca,not much,maybe 3 or 4 small little dabs..
Just enough to hold alignment.When satisfied with it,I run my fillets.
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Old May 21, 2010, 07:33 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmare View Post
Johnny,
What I do is just tack weld the firewall in with Ca,not much,maybe 3 or 4 small little dabs..
Just enough to hold alignment.When satisfied with it,I run my fillets.
Everyone seems to be saying the same thing. Sounds like a plan. I am going to make a fiberglass/epoxy paste. Since I will be running small props, I think I am going to install as straight as possible.
Old May 24, 2010, 08:51 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
Well, I have had a chance to test the props more in depth. They were

Aeronaut 14x12
RFM 14.5x14 (slim)

Current draws are nearly identical, with the RFM drawing perhaps a little less (this is hard to say, as I flew part of the flight, and then landed and switched props. So the recorded values the RFM drew less, but this was on less then fresh batteries). The initial thrust is slightly higher with the Aeronaut, so acceleration is a little faster initially. But, after this the RFM takes over. It is much quieter (I can't emphasis this enough! It appears to be almost silent compared to the Aeronaut. Sound is generally a good indication of efficiency, so this bodes well for the RFM blades), as well as offering much higher exit speeds at the top of the climb. Lastly, it folds nicer to the fuse, though this is hardly noticeable performance-wise while gliding. Lastly, the RFMs I suspect will be more robust, but this is just a gut feeling as they have both held up perfectly so far at ~8500 RPM.

Just thought it would interest some people, although it appears most don't run as large of props on their Sirens. The RFM is better to me, BUT at almost 2.5X as expensive as the Aeronaut, its up to your discretiom whether the performance is worth it!

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Last edited by Thekid3418; May 24, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old May 25, 2010, 05:12 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The RFM is almost certainly drawing more current in flight. It would be more stalled if you're measuring on the ground..
..a
Old May 25, 2010, 09:50 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
The RFM is almost certainly drawing more current in flight. It would be more stalled if you're measuring on the ground..
..a
All measuring was done in the air, using my ICE controller.

The voltage was only slightly different from one flight to the next (about .4V), but the current dropped 10A from the 14x12 to the 14.5x14. I would say that looking at the logs it appeared that the 14x12 did unload slightly towards the top of the climb, but not much.

Kid
Old May 25, 2010, 10:45 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I stand corrected - wider blades on the aeronaut optimized for thrust vs. speed, makes sense..
..a
Old May 26, 2010, 10:51 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2007
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
but this is just a gut feeling as they have both held up perfectly so far at ~8500 RPM
but be careful, the specs says maximum 9000 RPM, so with the RFM cfk you will have more security stock. The result of a broken prop is often much more expensive than only the costs of a cfk prop.....

rgds
Wolf
fwolf15 is offline Find More Posts by fwolf15
Old May 27, 2010, 11:10 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwolf15 View Post
but be careful, the specs says maximum 9000 RPM, so with the RFM cfk you will have more security stock. The result of a broken prop is often much more expensive than only the costs of a cfk prop.....

rgds
Wolf
Yes, this is something I believe I included in my write-up. That for the peace of mind the RFM prop is a better choice.

Also, I can appreciate the limits of a folding prop, as I have had a couple cheap ones rip apart, one of them taking the motor shaft with it :O so I will never come close to pushing a folding prop again (live and learn!). If/when I ever go 6s, I will only be running the RFM prop, as in the case I will be up around 9500-10000RPM, which is well beyond how far I would like to take the Aeronaut prop. Lastly, if the prop does infact fail, I acknowledge that I am pushing things to the limit, and if it fails it will be only my responsibility!

Kid
Old May 27, 2010, 04:04 PM
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
843 Posts
without having to read all 68 pages , already read the first 10 , hows the Siren flying ? is it fast ? how fast ? can you show some pics of the battery set up and RX placement ? I am in need of more speed and my 36% Sbach is fast but I need more
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old May 28, 2010, 05:52 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
No, it's not super fast. It's a beginner hotliner, some call it a warmliner - more like an acrobatic sailplane.
There's video posted in the review and in posts just a couple of pages back that shows how it flies..
..a
Old May 29, 2010, 08:33 PM
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined May 2007
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
No, it's not super fast. It's a beginner hotliner, some call it a warmliner - more like an acrobatic sailplane.
There's video posted in the review and in posts just a couple of pages back that shows how it flies..
..a
thanks that was the answer I was looking for
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old May 30, 2010, 11:57 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc View Post
thanks that was the answer I was looking for
For ludicrous speed, I decided to go with the Flash 2 Carbon. It's supposed to have one of the toughest wings in it's class.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 09:25 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
Heres the video we have all been waiting for. I finally have my Siren dialed and the aileron problem is gone. It really is flying GREAT right now. I told myself that if I can get 5 perfect flights out of it on 5s, i'll move up to 6s.

So I have 3 down, 2 to go. Then it'll be time for another video

Great Planes Siren 1500W (5 min 51 sec)

Kid