HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old May 01, 2010, 01:50 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmare View Post
Seems allot of guys are on a tight budget,so you try to find a cheap alternative to power.After 2 or 3 attempts at finding the right motor combo,you are probably into it alot more than if you were to just buy a tried and true setup..
Here is a motor alot of guys have tried with good results..I RUN THIS MOTOR WITH THE 4.4:1..http://cgi.ebay.com/Multiplex-BL-480...item3cac6840a1
I wish you had posted this earlier.
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2010, 03:49 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmare View Post
Keep checking the rc groups FS/W section..A Multiplex 480 4g w/gb sold for 30.00
What kind of numbers are you getting with yours? Prop, battery, watts, amps?

BTW, I am using chinese stuff I have laying around that I have used previously in Strykers, scratchbuilds, mach racers.... So it's not a waste of money.

When I get a "Real Hotliner" I will get a real power setup. But for now I am interested in cheap with cheap.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2010, 04:59 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
flightmare's Avatar
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Johnny,
It has been a while since I had my Siren hooked up to my Eagle tree,but It seems like it was around 35 0r 45 amps,and a few hundred watts..It may be a little more,but with LMR it has never been a problem..
What I wrote in my previous was incorrect..Most guys ran the the 480 4g w.the 4.4:1,and not the 3g 3.3:1.
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Reply With Quote
Old May 02, 2010, 10:38 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
4S trials on Turnigy 36-56-06

Wow!!! Finally the performance I wanted to see. It was great! I know you guys think small props are ridiculous for these applications but they are exactly what I am looking for for my flying style.

APC 8x4 gas prop
Turnigy 36-56-06 1800kv
Turnigy 80 amp ESC
4S Rhino 2150mah 30C

Amps: 75
Watts: 1050

On launch the Siren jumped out of my hand like a dart. The vertical was great. I would cruise at just under half throttle with WOT bursts of about 4-5 seconds. Fast runs mixed with no motor soaring. It was a lot of fun. I flew for about 7 minutes and after landing the motor was warm but not too hot. This is over double the watts that the motor is rated for, so only time will tell how long it lasts. If I spare the WOT runs, I might get some time out of this motor.

This is a great find for me. This opens the door to a handful of quality inrunners ran direct with an 8" prop.

The Mega 16/25/3 1700kv looks like a possibility for this type of performance.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2010, 09:08 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Guys,

I have my Siren built. Now I'm having issues with the servos. I'm using a dx7. With the carbon fiber rated reciever. Here is what happens: Elevator is great. the aileron on the starboard side is acting like a zombie trying to eat some kids brain. It just jumps all around and such.

Is there a special setting I need to set on the DX7?
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
Last edited by Red5; May 03, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 05:40 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2009
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Guys,

I have my Siren built. Now I'm having issues with the servos. I'm using a dx7. With the carbon fiber rated reciever. Here is what happens: Elevator is great. the aileron on the starboard side is acting like a zombie trying to eat some kids brain. It just jumps all around and such.

Is there a special setting I need to set on the DX7?
You need to disable zombie-mode on the aux1 channel
Bad scientist is offline Find More Posts by Bad scientist
Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 10:33 AM
Registered User
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad scientist View Post
You need to disable zombie-mode on the aux1 channel
Can't seemto locate that function. I have it nailed down to this one servo acting up. it even acts up when it is the only one plugged in. I sure hope I didn't mess up the extentions inside the wing. This would require me to rip out the servo and re-feed all of that stuff through.
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 10:36 AM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Can't seemto locate that function. I have it nailed down to this one servo acting up. it even acts up when it is the only one plugged in. I sure hope I didn't mess up the extentions inside the wing. This would require me to rip out the servo and re-feed all of that stuff through.
Sounds like the servo is bad. Try another servo to see if it fixes your problem.

I am going to try and get the Siren on video this weekend with my 4S, 8x4apc setup.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 02:16 PM
RIP Ric
Andy W's Avatar
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Actually, try another rx. If it still does it, you know its the wiring or servo.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2010, 08:54 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Actually, try another rx. If it still does it, you know its the wiring or servo.
..a
It was the servo.. Changed it an it was fine.
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2010, 03:16 PM
Registered User
rcmorrow's Avatar
Stamford, CT
Joined Jan 2005
407 Posts
Hello all, new to this thread here, so please be patient

I have read through most if not all of the various replies regarding the Siren. I am just about to put one together that I have had sitting on a shelf for a bit now (at least 2 years !)

Looking at setting it up with a Hacker B40-10L w/4.4:1 planetary gear and using a CC ICE 75 speed control, running on Hyperion 3s 2600mAh battery pack. I am planning on using the Hacker as I bought it several years ago and had it in stock here in my shop, seems like it should work for the task.

I used a couple various electric calculators and found that I should be in the 300-600 watt range depending on the prop used (from 13x7 to 14x9 or so).

I fly various sailplanes, large scale sailplanes for now (4m + spans) and plan on just putting the Siren together for fun between tows and flights with my scale ships and also for after I put the sailplanes away and still want to get some flights in.

I am not looking to have it be much more than a warmliner as it was designed......might be a bit more than a warmliner with the Hacker I have though, pending on the prop setup I use.

Other than the low mAh of my battery pack, any thoughts or suggestions regarding the set up. (I have seen the many motor/prop/battery/speed control setups though the thread, but only a mention of the B40 from Andy briefly).

Thanks for the thoughts and help.

Robert
rcmorrow is offline Find More Posts by rcmorrow
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2010, 04:11 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmorrow View Post
Hello all, new to this thread here, so please be patient

I have read through most if not all of the various replies regarding the Siren. I am just about to put one together that I have had sitting on a shelf for a bit now (at least 2 years !)

Looking at setting it up with a Hacker B40-10L w/4.4:1 planetary gear and using a CC ICE 75 speed control, running on Hyperion 3s 2600mAh battery pack. I am planning on using the Hacker as I bought it several years ago and had it in stock here in my shop, seems like it should work for the task.

I used a couple various electric calculators and found that I should be in the 300-600 watt range depending on the prop used (from 13x7 to 14x9 or so).

I fly various sailplanes, large scale sailplanes for now (4m + spans) and plan on just putting the Siren together for fun between tows and flights with my scale ships and also for after I put the sailplanes away and still want to get some flights in.

I am not looking to have it be much more than a warmliner as it was designed......might be a bit more than a warmliner with the Hacker I have though, pending on the prop setup I use.

Other than the low mAh of my battery pack, any thoughts or suggestions regarding the set up. (I have seen the many motor/prop/battery/speed control setups though the thread, but only a mention of the B40 from Andy briefly).

Thanks for the thoughts and help.

Robert
I believe that is the setup used in Real Flight Simulator.

I would shoot for at least 800 watts. I'm at 1050 watts and after four flights there is no way this would be enough power to compromise this airframe.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2010, 06:22 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
flightmare's Avatar
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmorrow View Post
Hello all, new to this thread here, so please be patient

I have read through most if not all of the various replies regarding the Siren. I am just about to put one together that I have had sitting on a shelf for a bit now (at least 2 years !)

Looking at setting it up with a Hacker B40-10L w/4.4:1 planetary gear and using a CC ICE 75 speed control, running on Hyperion 3s 2600mAh battery pack. I am planning on using the Hacker as I bought it several years ago and had it in stock here in my shop, seems like it should work for the task.

I used a couple various electric calculators and found that I should be in the 300-600 watt range depending on the prop used (from 13x7 to 14x9 or so).

I fly various sailplanes, large scale sailplanes for now (4m + spans) and plan on just putting the Siren together for fun between tows and flights with my scale ships and also for after I put the sailplanes away and still want to get some flights in.

I am not looking to have it be much more than a warmliner as it was designed......might be a bit more than a warmliner with the Hacker I have though, pending on the prop setup I use.

Other than the low mAh of my battery pack, any thoughts or suggestions regarding the set up. (I have seen the many motor/prop/battery/speed control setups though the thread, but only a mention of the B40 from Andy briefly).

Thanks for the thoughts and help.

Robert
That is a nice setup for the Siren...Minimum 13/7 for a 2m sailplane..
Andy compared the Hacker B40 to the Kontronic 480..
You will be happy with that setup ..
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2010, 08:44 PM
RIP Ric
Andy W's Avatar
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
That is a great motor for the Siren. Glad to see someone else finally putting a decent inrunner into this thing! I think I have that same motor in my collection somewhere, was thinking of using it in my High Aspect (3.1m sailplane)..

For props, I suggest the 12.5x10 to start, and the 13x11 if you can find it. I *think* you might even be OK with a 15x15 when you're ready to step up, but not with that battery and ESC - step up to a CC125 and a battery capable of 100A bursts..

Keep us informed!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Reply With Quote
Old May 06, 2010, 08:57 PM
Registered User
rcmorrow's Avatar
Stamford, CT
Joined Jan 2005
407 Posts
Thank you all for the replies on my thoughts and questions.

I do have several other CC speed constrols, including a 110HV and also an ICE 100. There is also the CC125 as you mentioned.

I pesronally have been very pleased with the HV and ICE speed controls as they have the heatsink on them and tend to run at reasonable temps with some air flowing over them (as will be the case with the Siren with the ducting and the spinner I will be using has front ventilation). I have heard rumors about an ICE 125 becoming available in the near future....it would be the perfect answer here as the ICE 160HV is a huge monster (using it in one of my electric Super Cubs I use for aerotowing).

I also have to look at the possibility of the 35c 3s 3300mAh packs (or very similar rating). I was trying to stay with the smaller 35c 3s 2600mAh pack to keep the overall weight down on the plane. Hoping to get it to stay up for a while if I can find some thermals, plus I have always found keeping the weight down can help considerably with many of the flight charateristics.

Thank you again and looking forward to sharing how it goes as I get it together over the next few days here.......also trying to get set for the JR Aerotow coming up in a month and make sure the fleet is ready for travel.

Robert
rcmorrow is offline Find More Posts by rcmorrow
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Great Planes Wright Flyer ARF Review Michael Heer Parkflyers 22 Feb 15, 2010 02:42 PM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner ARF Steve H. Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 13, 2006 03:28 AM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner Sailplane glide Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 6 Oct 08, 2005 01:20 AM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner EP ARF 79" (NIB) trw43 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Oct 03, 2005 07:20 PM
Great planes siren?? Hotliner or warmliner? argarre Electric Sailplanes 3 Sep 01, 2004 08:16 PM