HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:55 AM
RIP Ric
Andy W's Avatar
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Oh, yours is the one with ridiculous power! You should be able to just point it at the sky and let go.

In all seriousness - if you give it a hard, straight throw at the horizon, the model should not have lost any speed or altitude in the second it takes to get your fingers on the right stick. With a 2m span, I wouldn't expect it to torque much, and as you're at flying speed anyway, it shouldn't be hard to correct.

If you can, try your first launch over long grass..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:04 AM
Registered User
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Question- Did your kit come with the servo extensions for the wngs? Mine did NOT. And i wanted to know if it was supposed to be included. Is this something I can go to my local hobby shop and replace?
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:48 AM
RIP Ric
Andy W's Avatar
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
No, not included. I cover this (what you have to provide) in the review.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:48 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
No, not included. I cover this (what you have to provide) in the review.
..a
Did your scrren name change? I'm geussing you are the same as Andrew Willets. If so.. THANKS- Great write up.

I can't seem to find the part of "what you have to provide". Specifically what all do I need? I'm heading to the hobby store shortly.

Thanks
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 12:56 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
Did your scrren name change? I'm geussing you are the same as Andrew Willets. If so.. THANKS- Great write up.

I can't seem to find the part of "what you have to provide". Specifically what all do I need? I'm heading to the hobby store shortly.

Thanks
2 12" servo extensions
1 18"-24" servo extension
servo y-harness 3" to 6"
velcro
Epoxy or Goop
optional 1/8" ply for mounting receiver

Prop, servos, motor, esc, receiver
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:24 PM
RIP Ric
Andy W's Avatar
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
For the wing: "After installing 24" long aileron extensions through the wing using the provided string, .."
For the tail: "The instructions recommend a 24" servo extension, but as can be seen, a 12" extension is more than sufficient. "

What's included is shown in the two pics:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=913657
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=913658
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:32 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
For the wing: "After installing 24" long aileron extensions through the wing using the provided string, .."
For the tail: "The instructions recommend a 24" servo extension, but as can be seen, a 12" extension is more than sufficient. "

What's included is shown in the two pics:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=913657
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=913658
..a
So I need to go and buy 2 24" extentions and one 12" and the Y thing And i need to do this BEFORE I put the wing together?
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:39 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
So I need to go and buy 2 24" extentions and one 12" and the Y thing And i need to do this BEFORE I put the wing together?
Yes. Sorry, that is 2 24" and one 18". I guess you could go with a 12 inch but an 18" will give you a little more slack. Alos depends on where you mount the receiver.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:41 PM
RIP Ric
Andy W's Avatar
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Can't think of a reason you couldn't put the wing together first, just make sure you run a string through to the aileron mount location so you can pull the extension through later.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 10:45 PM
The Kid
Thekid3418's Avatar
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,586 Posts
Well, she is ready to go! Managed to get in the shop today and throw it all together, which was very straight forward. The P32 basically falls together. I had to cut the motor shaft ~8.5mm shorter, then it fit like a glove. Although, for now it is just for show. The pinion gear needs to be tightened, but the machine shop on campus did not have a small enough hex driver.

11 Days and counting until i'll get to install this bad-boy

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 01:58 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Let's see some Siren hotliner video.
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:43 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
I have a video for you

I maidened my Siren today, what a flop. I was shocked to say the least.

Setup Turnigy 480L 1370kv
Turnigy 60 amp ESC
Graupner 13x7 prop
3S 2200 30C

Amps: 44
Watts: 502w

It didn't have enough power to penetrate the wind at times. It was a short flight, few second bursts of full throttle. I am pretty sure it was tail heavy but I couldn't know for sure because the wind was banging it around so much I never really got a chance to trim it. The best way to describe it was, "it flew exactly like a parkzone radian". It never moved past 30-40mph, and it was a handful from the get-go. It was extremely uncomfortable so I landed it after about two minutes if that. The landing was not pretty because of the extreme low speed but it landed without a scratch, miraculously. When I picked up the fuse, the front was almost too hot to handle. So I touched the motor like a champ and it was like touching the stove, actually burnt my finger. It also smelled of fried kitty the way it smells when you burn an ESC.

In two minutes I drained 60% of the battery and I think I brought it down just before it would have smoked.

When I bench tested it later, it fired right up, so I guess the motor was ok, not that it matters. This motor would not work on any 3S setup with any prop.

Not really sure where to go from here other than getting rid of the battery tray all together and putting in the biggest battery I can get in there. Motor? Not sure.

I will get the video later tonight and post it. Warning: It's ugly!!!
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:48 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
I hope I didn't just screw up.... But I bought some very high grade equipment:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4046A
E-flight power 46 motor Rated for up to 900 watts. But I just got it and it won't fit the holes, even with the adapter. Can i make this work?



Also bought a matching E-flight 60-amp ESC.

And then the battery- This was bad measuring on my part. It's a THUNDER POWER 5000mAh 4-cell Pro Power 30C. Once agian-Too big. I think if I cleared out the woodinside the fuse it would fit.

Can I make this stuff work or do I need to sell it and start over?
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 09:57 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5 View Post
I hope I didn't just screw up.... But I bought some very high grade equipment:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4046A
E-flight power 46 motor Rated for up to 900 watts. But I just got it and it won't fit the holes, even with the adapter. Can i make this work?



Also bought a matching E-flight 60-amp ESC.

And then the battery- This was bad measuring on my part. It's a THUNDER POWER 5000mAh 4-cell Pro Power 30C. Once agian-Too big. I think if I cleared out the woodinside the fuse it would fit.

Can I make this stuff work or do I need to sell it and start over?
Sounds good for a different hotliner. I can't imagine any 4S 5000 even coming close to fitting in that fuse. I have never owned a thunder power though. Whatever you do, don't go with my setup, see above.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:18 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Prospect
Joined May 2004
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Sounds good for a different hotliner. I can't imagine any 4S 5000 even coming close to fitting in that fuse. I have never owned a thunder power though. Whatever you do, don't go with my setup, see above.
Oddly enough I almost went with your exact setup. Thought it would rock n roll... Post teh video and let's see what happened.

Can anyone think of a way to mount this motor on my plane? Or should I just go a different route?
Red5 is offline Find More Posts by Red5
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Great Planes Wright Flyer ARF Review Michael Heer Parkflyers 22 Feb 15, 2010 02:42 PM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner ARF Steve H. Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 13, 2006 03:28 AM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner Sailplane glide Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 6 Oct 08, 2005 01:20 AM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner EP ARF 79" (NIB) trw43 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Oct 03, 2005 07:20 PM
Great planes siren?? Hotliner or warmliner? argarre Electric Sailplanes 3 Sep 01, 2004 08:16 PM