HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2006, 08:10 PM
Joined Jul 2005
97 Posts
Soho, what controller were you using with the 2826? I see its only pulling 30a, it looks like the Jeti 40, or the 40 opto would be a good choice. Its great the Axi motors and Jeti controllers are both on sale at HL.
TheGiftedOne is offline Find More Posts by TheGiftedOne
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2006, 07:32 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftedOne
Soho, what controller were you using with the 2826? I see its only pulling 30a, it looks like the Jeti 40, or the 40 opto would be a good choice. Its great the Axi motors and Jeti controllers are both on sale at HL.
I used a phoenix 80 as that is what I had around. I would use a jeti70 as the current will definitely jump to >50 amps, and I don't know how well a Jeti 40 would hold up....

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old May 01, 2006, 04:45 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I figured I'd add to this thread that the brake on the JETI was also strong enough to knock the pinion loose on the motor! Found that out after re-assembling everything and getting ready to test out the setup with a new 10 cell GP2200 pack.. Fortunately, the GB is easy to open, and re-attaching the pinion is a simple procedure..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 04, 2006, 07:26 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,765 Posts
I'm getting closer on my Siren. Before joining the wing thirds I stripped off the covering and bashed in flaps on the center wing section. I sanded a slight angle in the flap LE so it's hinged at the bottom with lots of downward deflection and just a little upward deflection (to allow reflex to be adjusted in). I then epoxied the wings sections together and epoxied on a strip of fiberglass at the wing joints. I recovered the wing in Monokote using pretty much the same scheme. The top looks like original and I just added a white striped section on the wing bottom.

All the servos are Hitech HS-81s (5 total). Just so not to overdue the BEC on my Phoenix 45 speed control I've added a UBEC to power the Rx. All that's needed is to install the elevator servo and linkage. It should be maiden ready in another week (slow builder).
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2006, 09:57 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Nicely done. Didn't get to fly my Siren at SEFF (yet) - PHX80 crapped out but suitable representatives from Castle are here and should take care of me tomorrow..
..a
Old May 07, 2006, 03:48 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,765 Posts
I went to balance my Siren today...whoaaaa...a little more tail heavy than I thought it'd be (course I did use a HS-81 in the tail for the elevator). Anyhow, with two 3 cell TP21000PL in the nose as far forward as I can get them my c/g is probably 1/2" behind the recommended c/g. I know there was talk that the suggested c/g was pretty conservative. Where are others placing their c/g at? I'm wondering if a 10 cell NiCad pack might work better for a little more nose weight (though I really don't want to go back to NiCads). I appreciate inputs.

To keep my batteries from rubbing the back of the motor I was thinking of building a tray with an upright in front to act as a battery stopper. Maybe I could make the whole tray a slide in/out thing to hold the batteries vs sliding the batteries in and out of the tray.

I hope to have this figured out and flight ready next weekend.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2006, 04:37 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,765 Posts
I haven't made my battery tray yet, but I did hook my Siren up to the Watt-meter. Wow, with a 3-cell 4000mah battery I'm pulling 538 watts, at ~49 amps, holding 10+ volts. This is with an Axi 2826-10, Cam 14x9.5 prop on a Castle 45 ESC. I think I'm gunna like this setup. Now for the battery tray.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2006, 06:50 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,765 Posts
I've got my radio all set up and the Siren is ready for it's maiden flight tomorrow. With the addition of flaps I've got it set up for aileron/flap reflex for speed runs and crow (or is it butterfly...whichever is ailerons up and flaps down) for the short field landings.

Does anyone have any inputs on how much reflex the Siren wants for speed runs and is there any camber needed for launch/slow speed flights? I can't wait to see how well this thing flies.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2006, 02:09 AM
Joined Jul 2005
94 Posts
I have a question about c/g on the Siren. I completed setting up my Siren the other day.I ended setting up the c/g to far back (close to 83mm). When I maidened her it wanted to keep nosing down. I thought if the c/g was back,that she should want to pitch up not down? Is this correct,or have I got some other problem with my setup.
Power system AXI 2826/10 13 X 7 , thunder power 2100 3s 2P CC45.
The little time I flew her my heart beat must of been around 180+. I also kept getting what felt like lock out using a BERG6,not sure if from glitches or that the BEC on CC45 was being overdriven,even though I didn't use morre than 1/2 power.
ggouveia is offline Find More Posts by ggouveia
Old Jun 09, 2006, 04:48 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Hope your antenna isn't inside the fuselage - the carbon would mask the radio signal..
..a
Old Jun 09, 2006, 08:20 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,765 Posts
You're partially right on wrong on the C/G. As many posted, the given C/G is pretty conservative and nose heavy. Moving the C/G back will help reduce the nose heaviness, but to far back you'll enter the tail heavy region. The saying is, "A nose heavy airplane may fly poorly, a tail heavy airplane may fly only once." My C/G is ~71mm from the LE. It does need a little up elevator trim at this setting. I'm going to try a single 3S 3200mah battery which is lighter than the two 3S 2100mah batteries in parallel I'm using now.

I can't comment much on your Berg Rx. Is it single or dual conversion? If single, I'd recommend you change it out and stick with a dual conversion type. Single conversions are much more prone to glitching. As Andy said, make sure your antenna is not inside the fuse. The instruction even mention about running it outside the fuse.

Mine is powered with a Axi 2826-10 with 14x9.5 Cam folder and CC45 ESC (oh yeah, I'm also using a UBEC, not the ESC's BEC. I'm doing this because I bashed in flaps and I figured 5 servos (ailerons x2, flaps x2, and elevator) would be to much for the BEC to handle safetly. My setup pulls ~50 +/- amps WOT. This is only used for 15-20 seconds and I'm well at cruising altitude.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 09, 2006, 09:43 PM
Joined Jul 2005
94 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.
The aerial does exist the back as per the manual.I have it going to the tail (leading edge of elevaltor then back to exit hole,sort of a V), could this be the problem,if it needs to trail,that's a lot of aerial trailing behind just waiting to get caught on something. The RX is single channel. I might try switching it over to my Spektrum DX6,but local club hasn't approved use of DX6 yet.
Vantasstic what sort of flight batteries do you use? I worried about adding more weight to the plane,and there's not much room left to put a flight pack in.
Old Jun 09, 2006, 10:00 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
Vantassic - You need to read about the Bergs. They are single conversion all right with out of sight range. (Many JR receivers are single as well). Single and dual conversion are mostly unrelated to range these days. All I fly is Bergs with no range issues even with shortened antennas.
I have a 28/20/10 in a Simprop Liftoff (~2M hotliner) 12X8 folder, on 3S 3650. At ~42oz it is almost gone in a few seconds. I've never seen anything climb so fast.
Unless the siren is a lot heavier, I think you'll be real happy.
GG - Where is your receiver? Pics?
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jun 10, 2006, 02:00 AM
Joined Jul 2005
94 Posts
Feathermerchant receiver is right in front of rear bulk head.It sits just below
the opening of the wing saddle,near the rear vent hole. I got the Berg because I read all the great reviews about it,but I seem to be getting hits as its going into hold mode and 2 seconds is a long time with a plane that has a wrong c/g.
Old Jun 10, 2006, 03:36 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,341 Posts
In my Liftoff I was able to stick some velcro to the fuse behind the wing saddle. Then I could connect th ewires to the receiver and stick it to the velcro. It's about as far back as the esc throttle wire will reach.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant