HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:06 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
I didn't find the Siren build any more intense then that of my Escape F5D. Even putting in the motor mount or elevator servo was much easier simply because the Siren has a lot more space to mess around with!

I love my Siren, and am quite satisfied with the investment Santa made in my summer

Kid
Thekid3418 is online now Find More Posts by Thekid3418
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2010, 04:47 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Mine was easy enough. The firewall held up a while but the harsh brake on the Jeti ESC I used first broke it. The Castle ESC's I use primarily all have a better brake (can be ramped up, instead of hitting full 'on' immediately)..

I like mine because it's a good "warm-up" ship, or when you want to do more than just poke holes in the sky..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:57 AM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
It's a buumer though, I have been working on this plane to take it with me to TEFF tomorrow. Oh well.
Are you renting a trailer to take all these planes to TEFF? I'm taking 2...maybe 3.
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:39 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I *bought* my trailer (several years ago) just for the purpose of taking my models to SEFF! Told the wife it was to move yard equipment as well (I was maintaining two homes, so it was true)

It's been one of the best purchases I've made. I use it all the time - picking up more stuff than can fit in the bed of my truck, runs to the dump, loaned it to friends or used myself when moving house, picking up (motorized) toys, etc.
..a
Old Mar 28, 2010, 05:23 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,787 Posts
Unfortunately the Siren didn't make it to TEFF but my 4S Funjet did, in fact it blew up in mid-air during a clocked speed demo. It was a highlight!!!

I don't plan on using a brake on the Siren, in fact I plan to take it easy all around for a while. When I start getting crazy with it, I will be ready for an upgrade anyways....Absolute...Bullet...Bandit...

Flightmare, I was planning on drilling holes and going around the problem but I was running out of time and I knew Tower would swap it out for me.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 28, 2010, 06:17 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately the Siren didn't make it to TEFF but my 4S Funjet did, in fact it blew up in mid-air during a clocked speed demo. It was a highlight!!!

I don't plan on using a brake on the Siren, in fact I plan to take it easy all around for a while. When I start getting crazy with it, I will be ready for an upgrade anyways....Absolute...Bullet...Bandit...

Flightmare, I was planning on drilling holes and going around the problem but I was running out of time and I knew Tower would swap it out for me.
Hey Johnny,
Would've like to see that Funjet on that speed demo.
Definitely better to swap it out for one with no problem..
As for no brake,just set it for soft,or your folding prop wont fold...It will continue to "Windmill"...
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:53 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
Yes, I was surprised how slow the blades need to rotate to force themselves out some. There is a video somewhere of a guy with his "Thermik XXXL" I believe and his prop rotates at something less then 100 RPM it seems and it doesn't fold all the way. Very enlightening. Brake is definately neccesary, in some fashion.

Right now, I have a Hard Brake with a .2 second ramp through my ICE 100. It works well. I am slightly concerned about the pinion coming loose, but it appears to be holding up well.

Kid
Old Mar 28, 2010, 07:59 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
Yes, I was surprised how slow the blades need to rotate to force themselves out some. There is a video somewhere of a guy with his "Thermik XXXL" I believe and his prop rotates at something less then 100 RPM it seems and it doesn't fold all the way. Very enlightening. Brake is definately neccesary, in some fashion.

Right now, I have a Hard Brake with a .2 second ramp through my ICE 100. It works well. I am slightly concerned about the pinion coming loose, but it appears to be holding up well.

Kid
Thanks guys, I will set a soft brake.

Just got the new fuse in and ........ there is nothing in the fuse stopping me from sending a servo extension through. Yay!!!
Old Mar 31, 2010, 09:52 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,787 Posts
Looks like it is going to be a challenge balancing this bird on 4S. My Turnigy 60 amp ESC is so big, I can't get it in front of the battery tray where I want it. I can get my 3s 2200 all the way to the front of the tray but with the 4S 2200 I might need to add some nose weight.
Old Apr 01, 2010, 05:06 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Remove the tray.
..a
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:40 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,787 Posts
Soon

My Siren needs to be balanced and then it's ready to go. After a few failed attempts at Epoxy and Goop, I went with JB Weld. I believe this stuff made for a good hold.

I have been flying my little VIP Pylon this week pining over trying the Siren. Like flying this little bullet is going to help me with a 2M Siren

I have never flown a Hotliner before so I am a little nervous, especially considering the time I put into it. (more than needed)

I have flown the hell out of 2M Hotliners on REal Flight but that's a Sim and this is real life. Well it's inevitable maiden should happen this weekend weather permitting.

Any last real life pointers??
Old Apr 05, 2010, 10:50 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
wear a helmet, tell others to wear protection. keep the kids and pets away.

oh a don't fly over the cars!!
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Apr 06, 2010, 06:17 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Watch my video to see how the Siren floats power-off on the first test glide.
It's a pussy-cat..
..a
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:55 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
My Siren needs to be balanced and then it's ready to go. After a few failed attempts at Epoxy and Goop, I went with JB Weld. I believe this stuff made for a good hold.

I have been flying my little VIP Pylon this week pining over trying the Siren. Like flying this little bullet is going to help me with a 2M Siren

I have never flown a Hotliner before so I am a little nervous, especially considering the time I put into it. (more than needed)

I have flown the hell out of 2M Hotliners on REal Flight but that's a Sim and this is real life. Well it's inevitable maiden should happen this weekend weather permitting.

Maybe get some help on the launch.Have someone you can trust with a nice level toss..
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:05 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,585 Posts
I had my first bad encounter with my Siren this weekend. I took it to the park to try our some new power systems. I started with the new set of RFM 14.5x14 blades that I recieved a couple weeks back. These worked well, but to my untrained eye didn't offer much of an advantage over the Aeronaut 14x12 blades. The initial acceleration was slightly less, while the top speed was slightly higher. Both props drew nearly identical amps according to my ICE 100 Lite. This flight went off without a hitch, and I was very pleased

After this flight I switched back to my Aeronaut 13x11 blades with 4s-2500mah 30C batteries (very very tired old cells!). This netted me a prop rpm of about 9900 according to the ICE once again, it also was around 105A and 1450W. I told my dad to hold on tight and we went for the launch. My first impression was "this is AWESOME!". Absolutely fast climb as well as a very high top end speed. The first climb went off without a hitch, but when I came back around to climb for the second time, this is when things went wrong. At the top of the climb I shut off the motor and there was a strange "popping" noise. Just after the noise, I saw something falling away from the nose of the plane, but I wasn't sure what.

My initial reaction was that I had either
1) Thrown a blade
2) loosened the pinion in my GB

I guessed (2) because the prop was free-wheeling on the way down. After a stressful landing attempt I managed to set the plane down with just a small tick in the leading edge of one of the blades. Upon further investigation, the spinner cone AND prop-nut had come off, meaning the collet prop adapter could slide right off! I am very fortunate to not have lost the yoke/blade assembly that day.

Now, to diagnose what happened. What I believe happened is because of the aggressive brake (in hind-sight it was on "Hard/.1 Delay/fast ramp"), the prop nut spun itself off, taking the spinner-cone with it. This seems very unlikely, but it is the only explaination that my pea-brain could come up with. Because of this I have changed the brake settings to "Hard/.2 Delay/Medium ramp". Hopefully this results in no more issues. We searched for some time for the spinner cone, and alas could not find it again. This is not too critical though, as I already have an RFM 38/6 Spinner waiting to be used with my NEU P32 and RFM 14.5x14 once the GB arrives

All the best,
Kid