Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:52 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
try using a very thin wire that has enough rigidity to poke through the obstruction...
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:56 PM
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
It is probably resin buildup
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:58 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmare View Post
It is probably resin buildup
It feels like a thick aluminum collar.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:03 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Sorry guys, after finding my micro flashlight, I can see that it is a thick ring of glue. It is so hard it feel like a steel ring. There s no way around it, I will have to figure out how to break it which would probably break the fuse or swap it for a new one.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:10 AM
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
That sounds about right.I just took off my servo cover,and had a looksee inside,and is wide open..
Johnny ,Did you buy it new?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:15 AM
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
It almost looks like you can get the correct angle on it for breaking it out..A thin blade 6" screw driver will get it by going through the 1 1/2 servo hole,and several taps with a small hammer.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:21 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Can't imagine how that would be in there. There would be no way for that to be from the mold, as it would have settled to one side.

Mine, as with every other molded fuselage I've worked with, was wide open. Just dropped the extension down through the hole.

Faced with this obstacle, however, I'd just use a long piece of the thickest music wire I had, and knock it out from the front - drop the wire down until it is resting on the obstruction, and tap the back of it until it pops free.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 24, 2010, 05:41 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Can't imagine how that would be in there. There would be no way for that to be from the mold, as it would have settled to one side.

Mine, as with every other molded fuselage I've worked with, was wide open. Just dropped the extension down through the hole.

Faced with this obstacle, however, I'd just use a long piece of the thickest music wire I had, and knock it out from the front - drop the wire down until it is resting on the obstruction, and tap the back of it until it pops free.
..a
I brought it to my LHS, they agreed there was nothing I could do but exchange it. The gob of Glue was as hard as a rock and literally the size of a pecan half.

I couldn't even get a tiny screw through it. I talked to Tower Hobbies today and they are shipping me another fuse, (next day ship).

It's a buumer though, I have been working on this plane to take it with me to TEFF tomorrow. Oh well.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 06:00 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I brought it to my LHS, they agreed there was nothing I could do but exchange it. The gob of Glue was as hard as a rock and literally the size of a pecan half.

I couldn't even get a tiny screw through it. I talked to Tower Hobbies today and they are shipping me another fuse, (next day ship).

It's a buumer though, I have been working on this plane to take it with me to TEFF tomorrow. Oh well.

You want to sell that extra fuse
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:09 PM
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
You can still use that fuse..Just pass the servo extension out and around the obstruction via a 1/8 or 3/16 hole in the fuse.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:35 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
You can still use that fuse..Just pass the servo extension out and around the obstruction via a 1/8 or 3/16 hole in the fuse.
Tower offered to exchange it. Yes, I have to send them this one.

I knew I should have built my Sunracer first. :0
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:40 PM
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
One other thing about the Siren is the Firewall..Replace it..
Old Mar 24, 2010, 07:54 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I have made a make-shift drill by squaring off the tip of a length of 1/8" music wire. I used it to make holes in the ribs in a built-up wing for servo wires.

Then there are the drill bits mounted on long fiberglass shafts for running wires thru studs in existing construction. I have one of those now too..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:23 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
One other thing about the Siren is the Firewall..Replace it..
Really?

I don't think I knew what I was getting into with this plane. I didn't want something I would have to reconstruct.

Why do you guys buy the Siren when you seem so knowledgable about hotliners?

For another $150 you could get into something a lot better with no mods.

My excuse is, it was a Christmas present.

I really wanted a Wilco-Tiger-F5B Hawk.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:53 PM
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
For an inexpensive entry level warmliner,it is not a bad investment (Debatable by some)
The firewall is probably ok.All I am saying is after you have all the time and money(Plus all the stress involved with fishing servo extensions through)you'll want to eliminate any possibility of failure.
As for my Siren,this was my first warminer.I had a few Tiger's,3 or 4 Bandits,quite a few Cermark sailplanes...
Dont give up,it'll be worth it...