HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:56 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
Personally I am running 72 MHz with a Futaba Tx and a Hitec Electron 6 Rx. With the antenna running outside, on top of the boom all the way down, I have had no issues with glitching what-so-ever.

I took the tray out and I LOVE it! It makes for so much more room! I will very easily be able to fit 6s-3000mah 40C batteries in, which is where I plan to go with it. Last night I was able to fit in 6s-2500mah 30C batteries, and they are even wider then the 3000. With the tray out I would bet I could easily fit a 3s-6600mah battery by joining 3-2200 batteries in parellel. But this is WAY over the top, as I fly for about 10 minutes now and use less then 50% capacity

Kid
Sounds like you are going t opush that airframe to the breaking point :O

Did you just use a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to get the tray out?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:24 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
6s 2000mAh would be fine, you could run 50A bursts on a lower kV outrunner..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:30 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Sounds like you are going t opush that airframe to the breaking point :O

Did you just use a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to get the tray out?
I ground a fair amount of the glue holding the tray in away to start with. From that, I used the hammer and screw-driver. This worked perfectly on the tray as well as the motor mount.

Andy, you are correct. Infact, HC has some 1800mah 6s 40C batteries available (and on sale even!) that would fit perfectly and be great for 1000W or a little more. I would not recommend anyone abuse the Siren like I will, but then again, I don't expect anyone to baby their Siren like I do. My power is used strictly for fast climbs, no other abuse.

Also, I have a new wing planform up my sleeve. Something that will be a little slicker as well as much stronger. But that will have to wait until summer, as classes have resumed now

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Mar 19, 2010, 02:21 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Holy #$%@, I have found the meaning of tedious and frustrating trying to thread 24" servo extensions through the wing of the Siren. I got them about half way and now they won't go an further or come back out.

HELP!!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:01 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Holy #$%@, I have found the meaning of tedious and frustrating trying to thread 24" servo extensions through the wing of the Siren. I got them about half way and now they won't go an further or come back out.

HELP!!
You're going to have to get them out some way. Probably your best bet is just pull it pretty hard and see if you can yank it out.

The way I put them in is actually one of the first tricks I learned in my building history. What I did is tie a couple small nuts or washers to the end of a string. They have to be small, so as to fit through the openings easily, but you want a fair amount of weight. Then, hold the center section vertically and feed the washer in. Using gravity and easy tugs on the string to jostle it around, you can easily shake the washers all the way through. That is when the fun resumes. Tie the end of the extension to the end of the string, and then proceed on pulling it back out the way it came using the string and feeding it in from the starting side.

This worked for me, it was difficult still, but it worked eventually.

Good Luck
Kid
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:59 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Johnny,
Take the plastic connectors off,tie the string to the 3 wires,then use tape to make the wires aerodynamic with the string passing out the end of the taped up wires..pull them through ,no prob..
I added a pic.It still has the connector on,but you can see how skinny you can get them..
I also threaded the extension before I glued wings together..
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Last edited by flightmare; Mar 19, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:51 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmare View Post
Johnny,
Take the plastic connectors off,tie the string to the 3 wires,then use tape to make the wires aerodynamic with the string passing out the end of the taped up wires..pull them through ,no prob..
I added a pic.It still has the connector on,but you can see how skinny you can get them..
I also threaded the extension before I glued wings together..
Wow!!! That was a beast. Thanks guys, fortunately I got it right before I read these. I ended up leaving the connectors on but making little arrow heads ou of electrical tape, that helped, still a pain.

I hope I like flying this bird, because as I build it up, it doesn't seem that it was really thought out by the maker. Lots of .... Why? Really?

First and foremaost, this wing needs to be one piece.

Good ideas for next time I try to weave an extension through a hole that is way to small
Old Mar 20, 2010, 02:42 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Almost there

Got my wing all setup, HS-65's dialed in. I put a 13x7 aeronaut folder on the Turnigy 480L 1370kv motor and pulled 47amps WOT, 490 watts. I think my Turnigy 60 amp esc will be fine.

I am going to start out with a 3S 2200mah, 30C. I have a 4S 2200mah that barely fits in the battery tray but makes it really tight.

I have a 11x6 folder for my 4S.

All I have to do is setup the horizontal stab/elevator servo and get her balanced.

Any prep, or advice for epoxying the elevator servo???
Old Mar 20, 2010, 01:47 PM
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Sounds like you have a handle on most of the electronics..The only problem with mounting the Elevator servo is the Carbon fiber fuse..I mounted two small wooden blocks inside the fuse where the servo mounts.I attached the wooden blocks with small wood screws..
Check the first page of this review where Andy had similar problems.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 08:29 PM
PA
Joined Jul 2003
103 Posts
I'm putting a new firewall in. Should there be any down thrust in it? I can see the front of the fuse is cut at an angle but I'm not sure if that's right.
nate 1001 is offline Find More Posts by nate 1001
Old Mar 22, 2010, 09:48 PM
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate 1001 View Post
I'm putting a new firewall in. Should there be any down thrust in it? I can see the front of the fuse is cut at an angle but I'm not sure if that's right.
Yes,you need to set it down,and to the right..
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:39 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
I set mine so that the spinner lined up as close as I could get it to the front of the fuse. This resulted in a good angle for down-thrust, but I wish I had put a little more right thrust in. When I bang this mount out in favor of the P32 gearbox, i'll set the new one in with a little more right thrust involved.

Kid
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:16 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Further glue tests, had me going with the screws through the fuse into the woodblocks on the elevator servo. So.... the only test ahead was to get a servo extension through the (twisted collar in the tail through the fuse)?????

No luck after many tries with many different trinkets.

So here I am, ready to go to TEFF and the only thing keeping me from bringing the Siren is the fact I cannot get a servo extension through a tiny tiny hole in the tail.

What gives???
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:21 AM
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Tiny Hole?
I thought it was wide open...
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:46 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightmare View Post
Tiny Hole?
I thought it was wide open...
There is a twisted collar around what feels like a tiny tiny hole. Something has got to be wrong. I am almost to the point of chucking this thing. I am so mad.

So much time and money. I should have gone with a nice one.

I can't even get a tiny screw on a string through it.