HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:33 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2007
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnofliwr View Post
I searched this and the other Siren thread and didn't find a difinitive answer to this question...

Is the Siren's fuse wide enough to take a 2x2 stick (2 sticks of 2 end-to-end) of 2300mAh A123-M1?

There were a couple of posts where the question was asked, but the answer was a throw-away, and the original asker never came back with a go/no-go. All of my larger planes use A123s and I only have a few 200-1200 mAh LiPos. I'd like to know if I need to re-invest in some larger LiPos before I commit to the Siren.

BTW, in case it helps, a 2x2 A123-M1 pack measures 5.25"x2.1"x1.05".

Thanks.

definitely NO!

I have removed the battery tray and there was not enough space for it.
the maximum was 3 cells soldered inline...

rgds
Wolf
fwolf15 is offline Find More Posts by fwolf15
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:30 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,510 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I have an Astro 050 with the planetary box that I was thinking of using - so I'll run the numbers with a 3 cell. At least with the elevator servo in the tail there should be plenty of room for the pack.

Thanks again.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Feb 15, 2010, 11:21 AM
EMFSO, CRS, MAAC
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Oct 1999
363 Posts
Roger:

I was also going to use A123s but a 2x2 pack will not fit in the fuse, even without the tray.

A 3 in line stick will fit but won't be heavy enuf to get the CG in the right spot. I didn't try a custom 3+1 pack.

Because I am using a 100g motor I need about 300-400g of batterys in front of the cg to make it all work.

There is room in the fuse but it is long and narrow. So my 3s2p lipos fit from the back of the motor to near the cg line. Space behind the cg line is used for the rx only. The ESC is buried under the lipos.

Using a heavier motor will get you closer. However, the 3 A123 cells can only draw about 250 - 300 watts so it will be pretty gutless.
Peter Mar is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mar
Old Feb 19, 2010, 09:21 PM
California
Joined Aug 2009
11 Posts
Hi can i ask you ....!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwolf15 View Post
definitely NO!

I have removed the battery tray and there was not enough space for it.
the maximum was 3 cells soldered inline...

rgds
Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
I used this motor http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...mpeller_1370kv a 60 amp plush speed control , and a 2450 30c 4 cell ,turbo type spinner , all from same place , a 11x6 graupner folding prop from aircraft world , about 750 watts , works very good....i used hs 65 servos in the wing , hs81mg in the tail , set it up with spoilerons (both ailerons go up to act as air brakes)weighs about 45 oz rtf , mine slows down fine for landing .......and i use a radio on 72 mghtz and have no issues with lost of control.....run the antenna out through the air exit hole full length...you can see where i had to trim a little of the lip in the wing saddle to get the battery in...

Well I have the same configuration you have same motor and same esc the only difference is the battery, my is 1850 4cell rhino but the weight is not enough so I add it a second battery to compensate the weight… I think my siren is about almost 3lbs I don’t know if is ok is so hard to get the cg …so my question is 3 lbs or a bit more ok …? Or is to heavy…..? Tahnks ...

Erick.
ertins is offline Find More Posts by ertins
Old Mar 09, 2010, 07:02 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
The last couple of days I have gotten to do the maiden plus a couple extra flights with my Siren, and I am very pleased.

My setup is as follows

Medusa 28-56-2800 geared 4.28:1 (with heatsink)
3s2p 4400mah 30C lipo
CC ICE 100 Lite
40mm spinner

I have an HS-81 on each aileron, and an HS-56HB on the elevator. This has worked well, and I would suppose speeds flat and level are at 80mph or maybe a little more. Initially I started with a 13x11 which was good for about 74A. For the third flight today I switched to a 14x12, which GREATLY improved the climb rate. I would imagine I can get to 350ft in 5 seconds, which although not full fledged "hot-liner" fast, is pretty dang fast. With this prop my current as recorded was ~100A, and the ESC's peak temperature was 110F. The motor was not more then ambient (~50F today) upon landing, and is taking the abuse like a champ.

I started with a CG of 68mm. Today I flew with it back a little more, perhaps 70mm and it seemed to hold energy better, as well as not feel as lumbering. The ailerons have a lot of deflection by my books, but it definately doesn't roll as fast as I would like, about 230 degrees/sec. But I will settle for this as I don't want to push the model too hard. I appear to have glued in a little left thrust, as it tends to "lean" in the climbs. This is something I will address if/when I put a new motor mount in

It will do laps, albeit very slowly, but its fun to mess around with. Launches are a DREAM, or so I have heard, as my spotter has launched it each time so far. All in all I am very satisfied with it. I think with the way I fly it, it can take more power, as I just want silly fast climbs and then cruise around. Next up I would like to try 4s with a 13x11, which should put me near 1400 watts. I imagine I will be very happy with that for this model

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:05 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
I'm trying to figure out how you guys are reinforcing the wing with cf.

I read on HC site that a guy glued a thin sheet of this under the wing across the center piece and glue joints.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9781

Would this be a good idea or could someone point me to some pics of the reinforcements that would help this wing, even if they are pics of another similar wing.

Thanks
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:40 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
Yesterday I had the oppurtunity again to fly the Siren in slightly windier conditions. The ICE 100 Lite recorded a maximum reading of 110.2A and 1202W! Awesome! Its an absolute blast to fly as it is. Maximum controller temperature was 110.5F. This is in pretty cool temps (about 50F outside), so in the summer I would guess the controller will get closer to 145F, but thats resonable still.

Johnny, in regards to beefing up the wing joints, I did very little. I made the joiners out of higher quality 5-ply plywood. In between them I laminated some uni-carbon, but this is mostly just for "show". The whole deal was then glued together with epoxy. After the epoxy, I have used some uni-directional strapping tape and also some regular packing tape stretched across the joint spanning out about 1 ft on either side top and bottom. This was placed to hopefully give some amount of shock protection if the wing joint ever failed. I don't know if it would save the wing, but it just might. Beyond this the wing is completely stock, and it has help up very happily. But I will admit I baby it a lot. I have done some big loops, always out of a glide. I never yank on it when I have large amounts of speed either. This, I believe, is the appropriate way to treat the Siren

Kid
Old Mar 12, 2010, 06:53 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I read on HC site that a guy glued a thin sheet of this under the wing across the center piece and glue joints.
This would make no difference to the strength of the wing.

The weak point is where the tip panels are attached. The center panel can handle much more stress than those joints, so there is no point trying to reinforce it.

Just fly within those limitations and enjoy, or get a different airframe.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:13 AM
California
Joined Aug 2009
11 Posts
Hi Name is Erick I am new to this rc groups ...i was wondering if any body can help I have a siren I have a turnigy motor 1370 with 2350 Mha 4 cell and 11/6 aero prop but I have not try this I am a little afraid to fly this way I have to add a lot a weight to get the cg right … so I have a friend who sold me his motor and esc and is the one they suggest at the manual is Kontronik fun 480-33 gear 5,2:1 but I don’t know which prop is good and my friend never used this because he crash the first time he try so no data from his part and I definitely want to go a little faster then normal can any body help which motor I can go with or best to fly ..if the kontronik is good … which prop I can used …? Thank you.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 02:04 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
depending on what esc,and battery you are running will depend on your prop size..I ran 3s with that motor,and a 100 amp esc,and ran a 13/7 prop..
Run your numbers through Pcalc,or one of those programs,and see what you come up with..This review has good info..
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Last edited by flightmare; Mar 14, 2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 04:27 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ertins View Post
Hi Name is Erick I am new to this rc groups ...i was wondering if any body can help I have a siren I have a turnigy motor 1370 with 2350 Mha 4 cell and 11/6 aero prop but I have not try this I am a little afraid to fly this way I have to add a lot a weight to get the cg right … so I have a friend who sold me his motor and esc and is the one they suggest at the manual is Kontronik fun 480-33 gear 5,2:1 but I don’t know which prop is good and my friend never used this because he crash the first time he try so no data from his part and I definitely want to go a little faster then normal can any body help which motor I can go with or best to fly ..if the kontronik is good … which prop I can used …? Thank you.
I have the same motor, prop, and lipo. I just started building it. Give it a shot, I heard you need to move the cg back to 80mm.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:58 AM
California
Joined Aug 2009
11 Posts
Hi, I have 60A turnigy I will try the 60A with the small prop I hope it works …. …Thank you all,!!! I will Give it a shot will see what happens I hope it all go good ….thanks

Question ??? The kontronik motor is not something I can used with 4 cell and a good prop to get a same results like the turnigy….? Thanks.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:51 AM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
Heres a screen shot from my test run of a 13x11 prop on 4s-2500 30C batteries. The batteries are quite old, so they had to be pre-heated slightly...
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:50 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Setting up my new siren this week. My Turnigy 4S 2200 just fits in the front-most part of the battery tray so for now I will leave the tray. I will need to put my 60amp esc in front of the tray with a battery lead extension of about 4". I am planning on using an AR500 in the little spot right in front of the wing bolt. The Antenna will extend about 6" out of the air hole so this should be NO PROBLEM?????

This is the only thing that worries me, but if it will work it will save me $80.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:17 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,583 Posts
Personally I am running 72 MHz with a Futaba Tx and a Hitec Electron 6 Rx. With the antenna running outside, on top of the boom all the way down, I have had no issues with glitching what-so-ever.

I took the tray out and I LOVE it! It makes for so much more room! I will very easily be able to fit 6s-3000mah 40C batteries in, which is where I plan to go with it. Last night I was able to fit in 6s-2500mah 30C batteries, and they are even wider then the 3000. With the tray out I would bet I could easily fit a 3s-6600mah battery by joining 3-2200 batteries in parellel. But this is WAY over the top, as I fly for about 10 minutes now and use less then 50% capacity

Kid