HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:35 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,804 Posts
Oooooo

If I was an AXI, my face would be stinging from that slap! Ha ha ha

Great Review BTW Andy - Thanks! Would your recommendation by the Kontronic Motor then? Or ??? thanks!
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:48 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Kontronik's are nice motors - pricey but no more than other quality motors like Hacker, Aveox, Neu, etc. You can get "sport" power with outrunners, but for high power you're generally better off with a geared inrunner.
There are a great many motors that fit the bill, but I suggest staying below the full "05" sized motors (i.e. B40 vs B50 in Hacker, Fun 480 vs 500 or 600 with Kontronik), and choosing a wind that allows you to spin a good sized prop (12-15" or so) at reasonable power levels (10 cells seems to be the sweet spot for this model, and no more than 60-70A to prevent ripping the wing off!)
..a
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 27, 2006, 10:54 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,804 Posts
I was leaning towards an AXI Outrunner only because it is what I am familiar with. I have a half dozen electric planes and they all have outrunners. I was also planning to go lipo on the siren, again because it is what I am familiar with. But the Siren is my first attempt at a warmliner type plane, so I am stepping into unfamiliar territory. And I will definitely defer to others who know way more than I do about these types of planes and their associated power systems.
Having said that, would I be better to steer away from lipos as well? It seems their weight savings and accompanying performance gains would be an advantage? IS the main reason to use Nimh batteries their relative inexpensiveness?
And if you are willing to recommend specifics, which inrunner brand and type do you favor?

thanks again andy. I appreciate your knowledge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:00 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,804 Posts
Andy, uh, me again ... rereading his thread, do you know if all of the Jeti ESC's have such a harsh brake I.E. you cannot ramp it to a stop? I was going to maybe go Jeti but I have only ever had one Jeti ESC and it was an older one. I normally use CC's but was seeking to start trying other ESC's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:13 AM
Madrid
Joined Feb 2006
48 Posts
Brakes of Jetis

I own two Jeti Advance regulators (40A and 18A), and both have different brake modes available.
JuanPu is offline Find More Posts by JuanPu
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:30 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,804 Posts
Juan, what are the brake modes? Reading on Hobby Lobby, they don't give too much information ... can you provide more detail, either from your experience or from the Jeti documentation? You ended up going with the AXI 2820/10, did you not? Have you flown it yet? If yes, what are your observations and opinion on its performance?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:37 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
I'm still monitoring it, but can't comment on AXI's. I prefer high performance motors in my high performance models!

..a

You and I disagree on this, but the axi is about the perfect motor for this plane. As its an inexpensive 500 watts. Its performance is more than adequate. That said, the Kontronik was better than my 2820/10 setups in the bandit. I am would say the 2826/10 would be very close to being the equal of the kontronik (granted this was on older 1700 aup cells).

At any rate, I am going to bring my AXI siren to SEFF so we can compare notes and come to some agreement (even if its to agree to disagree)
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Mar 27, 2006, 11:45 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,804 Posts
Hey soho ... you have your siren in the air currently, on the 2820/10, right? What kind of climbouts do you get? Are we talking vertical or 45 degree or?? If you are 500 watts, that sounds like vertical to me, as the plane isn't over 5 pounds is it? What prop/spinner are you running?

thanks to all for the info ... I just printed out the "other"siren thread, parts I and II. It'll take me a while to wade through all of that and I am sure my questions are answered in there. Thanks to all for your patience in answering them again here!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:04 PM
Madrid
Joined Feb 2006
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
Juan, what are the brake modes? Reading on Hobby Lobby, they don't give too much information ... can you provide more detail, either from your experience or from the Jeti documentation? You ended up going with the AXI 2820/10, did you not? Have you flown it yet? If yes, what are your observations and opinion on its performance?
Look at http://aircraft-world.com/prod_datasheets/jeti_adv.htm

I have not used yet the 2820/10. I have used the Jeti's with a 2808/20 and a 2208/34. In soft mode the controller makes the motor "whine" so you can cut yourself.

After buying the Ion from Tower, I was able to contact Josef Palacek, the maker of Ion/Hoot, and I also have now an Ion Pro, so I still don't know what destination will the Siren have.

Any opinion on using it motorless for slope or towing?

Regards.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:41 PM
Madrid
Joined Feb 2006
48 Posts
By the way, time ago I was *able* to convert a GP ElectryFly 30A brushed controller from hard brake to soft brake by trying mistakenly to connect the batteries to the output cables.

I heard a "pop" and, voilą, I got soft brake. In fact no brake at all. It seems the transistor in charge of shorting the motor brushes was blown.

I still use it with a Slinger.

Any valiant?
Old Mar 27, 2006, 03:07 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I used a 2826/10 in the first siren. I have sold both. I bought a second one to mess around with. It will have a 2826/8 not sure about the power or the prop, but I will be running tests later this week I hope to maiden the new setup on Wednesday.

Jay
Old Mar 27, 2006, 07:21 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
.. if outrunners could handle 60-80A, I'd be a little more inclined to use them.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 27, 2006, 09:45 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
.. if outrunners could handle 60-80A, I'd be a little more inclined to use them.
..a
for hotliner purpose the 2826/8 should be fine at 60 amps... what I want to see is the 2826/6 which should be fine at 70-75 amps. The thing about the axi motors is that they are severly underrated. (yes I know you these are not the most efficient ranges to operate them in, but they pull fine at these amps...)

Also its about watts... So if you aren't getting enough amps add some volts
Old Apr 18, 2006, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2005
97 Posts
Let me get this straight. An AXI 2826/10 motor is comparable to the Fun 480-33? Would this be suitable for the Electrifly 8cell pack? What kind of amps are being pulled with this setup, and what prop was used? Sorry for all the questions, don't know much about this stuff.
TheGiftedOne is offline Find More Posts by TheGiftedOne
Old Apr 18, 2006, 07:21 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGiftedOne
Let me get this straight. An AXI 2826/10 motor is comparable to the Fun 480-33? Would this be suitable for the Electrifly 8cell pack? What kind of amps are being pulled with this setup, and what prop was used? Sorry for all the questions, don't know much about this stuff.
Its been a while since I have seen the fun 480-33, but the 2826/8 is REALLY close in performance. Might even be better when you Consider the 480-33 is set to run at 40 amps (yet will run at 70 no problem)....