HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:56 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,850 Posts
Wow, Decisions!!! Part of me is scared to buy a bird this big, I might end up foing with a 40" wing pylon. I'm not sure. The siren is mine if I want it but the wingspan is starting to freak me out. I guess I'm afraid of stalls especially when turning against the wind on a final approach. I am not wanting to do spoilerons, if I get the Siren it's going to be aileron only.

When you guys take the Siren out, do you break down the wing? Is it fast ans easy?
johnnyrocco123 is online now Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:51 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
Wow, Decisions!!! Part of me is scared to buy a bird this big, I might end up foing with a 40" wing pylon. I'm not sure. The siren is mine if I want it but the wingspan is starting to freak me out. I guess I'm afraid of stalls especially when turning against the wind on a final approach. I am not wanting to do spoilerons, if I get the Siren it's going to be aileron only.

When you guys take the Siren out, do you break down the wing? Is it fast ans easy?
The wing is one piece,and unable to break down.Or are you referring to removing wing from fuse?
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
Old Aug 02, 2009, 06:04 PM
Joined Oct 2008
3 Posts
I need some help. I just purchased AXI 2826/08 and the planatary gear drive is 4:1. So the motor spins four times and the output shaft of the planatary rotates one time. For some reason i would have thought it would have been the other way one turn of motor to four turns to prop. Please advise is this correct??

If someone can recomend a prop that would be nice. I am running a 3cell 2200mha lipo.
javie4 is offline Find More Posts by javie4
Last edited by javie4; Aug 02, 2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2009, 06:57 PM
deepest darkest suffolk UK
Joined May 2007
469 Posts
I just looked up the specs on that motor and at 1130 I don’t think you will need the gearbox it says you can run a 13x8” prop without one.
Reduction gearboxes are used to slow down a high revving motor and create more torque so you can use even bigger props.
I figure a 13” prop will be more than adequate for the siren.

http://www.electricwingman.com/model...xi-2826/8.aspx

MJ
MJ-MERLIN is offline Find More Posts by MJ-MERLIN
Old Aug 02, 2009, 09:31 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by javie4
I need some help. I just purchased AXI 2826/08 and the planatary gear drive is 4:1. So the motor spins four times and the output shaft of the planatary rotates one time. For some reason i would have thought it would have been the other way one turn of motor to four turns to prop. Please advise is this correct??

If someone can recomend a prop that would be nice. I am running a 3cell 2200mha lipo.
There's really no reason to put a gearbox on that motor. It is a higher kv outrunner, but should turn a ~11x6 or 12x6 comfortably. And, yes, the gearboxes are designed to reduce the output RPM when compared to the motor RPM. Mostly it allows smaller, high kv motors (usually inrunners) turn a large diameter prop it couldn't possibly handle in direct drive.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2009, 09:41 PM
Brimfield, MA
Joined Jul 2002
195 Posts
Quote:

I'm running an AXI 2826-10 in my Siren. Direct drive (no gearbox) and using 3S1P 2200 LiPo. Presently running a 13-8 folding prop.

Performance is OK but the climbs are not spectacular. I'm sure adding a second pack in parallel (3S2P) would make a difference. The 13-8 is pulling the limit of one of these packs. Going to parallel would allow a change to a 14" prop as well.

I'm not a real 'skilled' hotliner pilot so this works for me. The ship is fun to fly, thermals well with only the single pack. As others have said energy retention is not great but you can still have a good time.

Be prepared to really 'squeeze' that big AXI into the nose. It will fit so don't despair. Look back through this thread and you'll find some posts that should help you out. Here's a link to my solution to wedging the motor inside: AXI link

Hope this helps,

Jim, KK1W
Jim-KK1W is online now Find More Posts by Jim-KK1W
Old Aug 03, 2009, 08:21 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
I'd love to see pictures of how you mounted the gearbox on the AXI outrunner.

As to the ratio, it is correct. You want to reduce motor RPM (but as posted above, not usually required with an outrunner, but geared outrunners do exist..)
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 03, 2009, 09:44 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-KK1W
I'm running an AXI 2826-10 in my Siren. Direct drive (no gearbox) and using 3S1P 2200 LiPo. Presently running a 13-8 folding prop...
Performance is OK but the climbs are not spectacular.
When I had my Siren I ran an AXI2820-10...forget what size prop though. After my Siren broke (shot down on landing approach) I got a FVK Bandit. I put an AXI 2826-10 with 13x9.5 prop on 3S 3200mAh. WOW!!! I was pulling ~50A and 500+ watts. Climb out...well...lets say straight up and accelerating. Loved the plane...but I was scared to fly it because of the speed (for my age). I sure miss it, but my MPX Blizzard now serves as a nice in-between from the Siren and the Bandit.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:23 AM
Joined Aug 2008
18 Posts
Hi,

do you have any video record from Sirena? I like to see how is going with 500W! (how is the sound from Siren with motor off) I want to buy these plane. But i am not sure because the wing?
What is good Reichard Sprinter or Siren (or which glider can take more power then 500W...... W ??
easystar is offline Find More Posts by easystar
Old Aug 13, 2009, 07:19 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
There are several videos posted in the review at the start of this thread..
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Aug 13, 2009, 11:55 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2007
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easystar
Hi,

do you have any video record from Sirena? I like to see how is going with 500W! (how is the sound from Siren with motor off) I want to buy these plane. But i am not sure because the wing?
What is good Reichard Sprinter or Siren (or which glider can take more power then 500W...... W ??
In my siren I've used a geared kontronik fun 480 in combination with a 4S battery. This setup was about 900-1000 W. So it is no problem, but I like more a foam/abachi wing construction. I think that the wing is the critical part of the siren.
Sometimes I had a bad feeling while flying harder maneuvers. If you really want to use >800 W, a Lift off from simprop should be the better choice.

rgds
Wolfgang
fwolf15 is online now Find More Posts by fwolf15
Old Oct 12, 2009, 10:28 PM
PA
Joined Jul 2003
103 Posts
How about a 2826 with the gearbox on it and a 6 cell lipo. That should be able to swing a pretty big prop and get over 1000 watts for quite a bit of climb
nate 1001 is offline Find More Posts by nate 1001
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:01 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2007
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate 1001
How about a 2826 with the gearbox on it and a 6 cell lipo. That should be able to swing a pretty big prop and get over 1000 watts for quite a bit of climb
It depends of the size of the Lipo, 2 x 3S in a row? or as one 6S pack? there is not plenty of space for the battery.

Wolfgang
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:05 AM
PA
Joined Jul 2003
103 Posts
I was thinking two in a row because 2 3s 2100 fits
nate 1001 is offline Find More Posts by nate 1001
Old Oct 13, 2009, 08:23 AM
Germany
Joined Jan 2007
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate 1001
Which propsize and what kind of gearbox? (4:1 or ?)