HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2005, 03:54 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,082 Posts
siren

How do you know the cg is wrong in the manual? Whats it suppose to be?
But thats what I thought just move the cg back until it flys without any up.
Thanks for the help..
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2005, 03:59 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I flew the plane and had the same experience that you did. Bottom line it flies better with the cg behind the one stated in the manual.

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:01 PM
powder springs georgia
Joined Nov 2003
2,082 Posts
siren cg

Thanks jay sounds right to me..
sanman55 is offline Find More Posts by sanman55
Old Dec 27, 2005, 07:57 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I received the following email from a person who's return email address was not valid (no MX record for that site). Perhaps they'll see this.

Quote:
At 19:39 12/26/2005, you wrote:
Aloha Andrew,

Great review on the Siren!!

I just bought a Siren myself and I also bought the same kontronik setup that you used in your review. I was hoping that you could tell me what prop setup you used (manufacter) I don\'t know where to buy the parts for the setup that you had in your Siren.

Thanks for any insight that you have.
My reply:
I'm using an RFM 12.5x13 F5B carbon blade set, which I bought from Germany. You can get RFM blades in a lot of places, but the Graupner 12.5x10 and the Aeronaut 13x11 would also work - those are a lot more common.

Be aware that this prop, on 10 cells, pushes the motor HARD and will not work with the JAZZ 40 ESC recommended. I switched to a 70A controller for this setup. It's also more power than recommended by Great Planes. You could run the same prop on 8 cells, however, and all should be fine - you only run the motor for a few seconds at a time.

The spinner is not easy to find in the US. espritmodel.com carries a nice lineup of folding prop spinners/yokes, however.

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Dec 27, 2005, 09:41 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Andy,

I had the same motor setup and ran the graupner 14x9.5 prop in a nike and bandit. I am sure its not as fast, but the amps stay around 50 or so which should be fine with the 40 amp controller for 10 secs or less...

Jay
Old Dec 27, 2005, 07:54 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,503 Posts
The Siren sounds like a great plane (no pun intended) for the price. I had a Filip 400 which I didn't really like very much. I fly an Omega 1.5E for my glider fun, and use a Sunracer (pylon racer) for my 'baby hotliner' fun (and what I blast I have with it). Anyway...I fly my electrics from a smaller school park and want something that I can slow down easily for landing. With the Siren's built-up wings it looks like the center wing section can be modified for flaps. I thought 'crow' would be nice for slowing down for landings, and would allow mixing to act as aileron extensions for aerobatics. Has anyone tried this yet?

Jay, I saw you made mention of doing something similar on 'the other' bulletin board. Have you done it? Any inputs appreciated.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:24 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Flap is enough, crow is not really needed for landing. Not a trivial task to install them, though. Jay posted details about how he added flaps on these forums.

If I was going to seriously modify my Siren, I'd rather add a good sized spoiler. I'd prefer flaps, but a spoiler is a lot easier to add..
..a
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:24 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,503 Posts
Thanks. I searched Soho's post, but didn't come across anything about a flap modification.

Soho, thanks for the return e-mail you sent. Did you post some flap conversion stuff on the site already? Do you have a link to it?

Thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:33 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Link to the flaps thread...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=siren+flaps

I am going to my parent's house who have lots of space and air so I am hoping I can finish bagging the wings this weekend. I also have REAL mylars now, so it should come out pretty good I hope.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 07:21 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,503 Posts
Thank you Jay. I'll read through what you've done. I'm most interested in the Siren and hoping to see/buy one at the AMA convention in January.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:38 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
You know, the siren flies about as well as the Mini graphite, except the wing isn't as stiff... For $150 or $135+ free shipping its VERY hard to beat this setup.

Jay
Old Jan 19, 2006, 03:09 PM
Happily Addicted
Cumming, GA
Joined Jun 2005
33 Posts
In case anyone’s interested, I came up with another alternative to installing the Siren’s tail servo:

I cut a metal piece from a Buzz Fuse container (auto fuses, see pic) that’s slightly larger than the servo. Any larger and it will not fit through the opening in the fuselage. I wrapped electrical tape around the servo and the piece of metal several times making sure it was nice and tight. Then I used two very small wood screws to secure the servo. The screws enter from the outside of the fuselage; go through the piece of metal and into the tips of spare servo arms acting as nuts.
cpkennedy is offline Find More Posts by cpkennedy
Old Feb 13, 2006, 06:34 AM
Joined Sep 2005
32 Posts
Hi im looking for a motor/geaarbbox setup thats going to give approx 400 watts of power and is not going to cost the earth. The recommended motor esc will cost too much 450AUS$+ im looking round the 150$ mark ccn anyone help me out
bird-0f-prey is offline Find More Posts by bird-0f-prey
Old Feb 13, 2006, 08:18 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Look for a deal in the classified (For Sale/Wanted - Power Systems) forum..
..a
Old Feb 15, 2006, 12:32 PM
Madrid
Joined Feb 2006
48 Posts
Axi 2820/10

Hi,
does somebody know if this engine may be fitted in the Siren?

The Siren manual states a 37 mm max diameter, and the diameter of the AXI is 35 mm.

However, I am worried about the cables that exit from one side of the stator and must go back aside the external rotor...

Perhaps would it be possible going back externally?

If it is not possible to use it, does somebody know if there is any similar hotliner (price and characteristics) available from Tower Hobbies that accepts the AXI?

I intended to buy a ION, but it seems it has recently become unavailable in my country.

Thanks in advance,
Juan.
JuanPu is offline Find More Posts by JuanPu