Old Mar 04, 2008, 07:16 PM
The frigin Catalina wine mixer
USA, CA, Buena Park
Joined Oct 2006
599 Posts
Elevator travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeedr6
Andy, thanks for all of your great input and support on this forum! I've read all of the threads and found them most useful however, when it comes to CG I think I've only become more confused other than the stated 55mm in the manual is wrong. By taking all suggestions into account I've averaged it to about 75mm back from leading edge (some have said as high as 100mm). I just did my 1st hand toss and it "seemed" reasonable. Noting how fragile this fuse is I fear actual flight w/o knowing what CG YOU have found best suited for this plane?

On another note, I cannot get as much throw on the elevator as I would like (it max's out at about 3/8"). I have a HS-55 in there with an arm as long as fits, it actually ever so slightly rubs on the round cover. I then moved the elevator horn forward about another 1/4" and I just ended up with the 3/8". How did you address this?

Again, thanks so much!
You shouldn't need more than 3/16" of down elevator to compensate for the " pitch up" when you deploy the Spoilerons,at most a 1/4" will do.
As for elevator rates on my Siren,3/8" for low,and 1/2" for hi..Never had to go to hi rates on elevator.
flightmare is offline Find More Posts by flightmare
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2008, 06:45 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What he said on elevator. You won't need much. As for CG, I believe it's at 75mm..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Mar 05, 2008, 07:46 AM
Bellingham WA
Joined Feb 2008
17 Posts
Spoilerons / Futaba 6EX

I am thinking about buying the Futaba 6EX but cannot determine by reading the online manual if I can program the Spoileron feature.

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6ex-2_4ghz-manual.pdf

There is mention of flaperon mixing and neg differential but no specific mention of Spoilerons.

Thanks to fwold15 and KC7MPV for responding to my question about motors. My Hotliner should arrive today
Ronald S is offline Find More Posts by Ronald S
Old Mar 05, 2008, 10:40 PM
St. Paul MN
Joined Jun 2007
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald S
I am thinking about buying the Futaba 6EX but cannot determine by reading the online manual if I can program the Spoileron feature.

There is mention of flaperon mixing and neg differential but no specific mention of Spoilerons.

Thanks to fwold15 and KC7MPV for responding to my question about motors. My Hotliner should arrive today
You should be able to do that just using the flaperon fuction. You'll just be setting it up with a negitive input. Well at least if its anything like my Hitec Optic 6. That and most radio have open mixes that you should be able to use.
rcplanefubar is offline Find More Posts by rcplanefubar
Old Mar 07, 2008, 06:01 AM
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald S

Ron I am using the 6TXA an earlier model and you can setup spoilerons on this model. I presume the later model will be the same.
Cockar is offline Find More Posts by Cockar
Old Mar 07, 2008, 01:03 PM
Go SIU Go
Russellville, AR, USA
Joined Dec 2007
15 Posts
Cockar, et al

I'm also using the T6XA, but have not needed to adjust any programming with previous planes (other than servo reversing). Are spoilerons achieved with "negative flaperons," or is there a seperate spoileron function to adjust?

Also, after reading numerous posts, I know I need to get as much spoileron travel as I can get (andy and soholingo, et al), and I need to adjust the neutral position of the aileron bellcranks to enhance that. Andy mentioned years ago to position the aileron servos within the servo bay to achieve extra travel...where is the best place within the bay to mount the servo.

THX...Doug
KC7MPV is offline Find More Posts by KC7MPV
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:29 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
I've read through this forum, and i have a couple questions because i am interested in a Siren

1st of all, what is the tallest the ESC can be to fit underneath the battery tray?

2nd, Is there a point where the motor could be too heavy? It seems most people are having to push the battery as far forward as possible, so would it be bad to use say a 8oz motor or something about that size?

Also, i believe i read that the battery shouldn't be wider then 45mm, how tall can they be?

I guess my final question would be has anyone tried this plane with a smaller DD prop? I read earlier in the thread (like the first couple pages) that someone used a 9x6.5 or something similar and liked it. Did anyone do something similar? Im not looking so much for hotliner-type climbs as high speed and a big plane that could do some more then just oging fast like an F5D plane. Maybe im looking for the wrong things from this model, but any suggestions people could give would be great!!!

thanks, brian
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC7MPV
Cockar, et al

I'm also using the T6XA, but have not needed to adjust any programming with previous planes (other than servo reversing). Are spoilerons achieved with "negative flaperons," or is there a seperate spoileron function to adjust?

Also, after reading numerous posts, I know I need to get as much spoileron travel as I can get (andy and soholingo, et al), and I need to adjust the neutral position of the aileron bellcranks to enhance that. Andy mentioned years ago to position the aileron servos within the servo bay to achieve extra travel...where is the best place within the bay to mount the servo.

THX...Doug
Doug, I am using -ve Flaperons. Don't know how else to achieve spoilerons, other than the way Andy suggested using the throttle stick.
Cockar is offline Find More Posts by Cockar
Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:53 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418
1st of all, what is the tallest the ESC can be to fit underneath the battery tray?
Can't help here as I removed my tray..

Quote:
2nd, Is there a point where the motor could be too heavy?
Sure, but within limits it would be fine..

Quote:
Also, i believe i read that the battery shouldn't be wider then 45mm, how tall can they be?
With the tray, no taller than a sub-C pack. Without, about twice that..

Quote:
I guess my final question would be has anyone tried this plane with a smaller DD prop? ... Im not looking so much for hotliner-type climbs as high speed and a big plane that could do some more then just oging fast like an F5D plane. Maybe im looking for the wrong things from this model, but any suggestions people could give would be great!!!
You're looking at the wrong model then. This model is not as fast as most hotliners, due to the wing/airfoil, and therefore a smaller prop will not give as much thrust, and therefore not overcome the drag, as easily. The Electrostreak (for example) would be a better model for that style of flying..
..a
Old Mar 31, 2008, 01:05 PM
Go SIU Go
Russellville, AR, USA
Joined Dec 2007
15 Posts
Electrifly 35-30-1450 rim-fire outrunner

careful...anyone else who may have read my posts about wanting to use this motor in the siren (I think it was #291 and then again later in the thread) ...IT IS ONLY RATED TO 11.1V! Fine for LiPo's or 8 cell's but I smoked it with a 10 cell NiMH in just about 5 seconds of static run after a sucessful ESC set-up with a 12x6 graupner. (sorry...didn't get amp/watt draws)

Doug
Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:10 PM
Bellingham WA
Joined Feb 2008
17 Posts
Yo Brian

Quote:
I've read through this forum, and i have a couple questions because i am interested in a Siren

2nd, Is there a point where the motor could be too heavy? It seems most people are having to push the battery as far forward as possible, so would it be bad to use say a 8oz motor or something about that size?

I guess my final question would be has anyone tried this plane with a smaller DD prop? I read earlier in the thread (like the first couple pages) that someone used a 9x6.5 or something similar and liked it. Did anyone do something similar? Im not looking so much for hotliner-type climbs as high speed and a big plane that could do some more then just oging fast like an F5D plane. Maybe im looking for the wrong things from this model, but any suggestions people could give would be great!!!

thanks, brian
Hey Brian, I will put my 2 cents worth in here. In the Siren Combo area of Tower Hobbies they list lots of parts for the Siren, they have technical info on the ESC, battery and so on. The C-35 ESC for a brushed motor will fit under the battery tray. The size of this ESC is listed as well as the size and weight of 7 and 8 cell batteries. The brushed motor referenced weighs ~ 8 oz. Good Luck - Ron
Ronald S is offline Find More Posts by Ronald S
Old Apr 04, 2008, 05:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
370 Posts
More Siren questions........

I've read through a lot of the Siren threads, but have a few unanswered questions.

How do you land a rudderless Siren in a crosswind of say 15-65 degrees and of 10-20 mph?? We get a lot of that around here

About how long are flights using an AXI 2628-10 or 2628-8 and a single large LIPO pack; say several climb & dives, mixed with just cruising at altitude with some mild aerobatics.

What are the differences between the 2628-10 and 2628-8 other than winds? Props?, amps? wattages? ESCs?

Thanks.
Garyss is offline Find More Posts by Garyss
Old Apr 04, 2008, 06:25 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If landing in those conditions presents an issue, a different model may be more appropriate.

There is no way to say how long your flights would be. That would depend on the capacity of the pack, the prop, and the amount of time you run the motor. I can burn thru a pack in 5 minutes, or fly less aggressively and stretch it to an hour, but honestly, after 10 minutes or so, I generally land regardless of remaining battery capacity *
..a

* sailplanes excluded..
Old Apr 04, 2008, 07:02 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyss
What are the differences between the 2628-10 and 2628-8 other than winds? Props?, amps? wattages? ESCs?
You kinda already answered your question. The -8 has less winds than the -10. This'll mean higher RPM, more amps, more watts and (probably) a larger ESC to keep within the amp load if you used the same prop as on a -10. To reduce the amps you'll need a smaller diameter/pitch prop. Prop'd properly, the -8 should give you more speed while the -10 would could give you more pull power for those fast climbs to altitide...still at good speed.

FWIW, I flew my Siren with an AXI 2826-10, 3S 3200mAh pack, CC-65 ESC, with a Graupner 14x9.5 prop. It pulled just over 50 amps static and would climb like a home-sick angel. I can't answer flight times as I found I wasn't very good )or just didn't have enough luck) to find and fly in thermals. I could easily make several climbs to altitude followed by diving passes, and the normal loops and rolls. I think an easy 8 minutes of flight time if you lay off the throttle. I, personally, didn't like the slow flight characteristics of the Siren as it wasn't easy to steer without a rudder while trying to 'glide' it around.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2008, 09:40 PM
Go SIU Go
Russellville, AR, USA
Joined Dec 2007
15 Posts
CG...again...

I'm at 81 mm with the receiver, ESC and 10 cell NiMH as far forward as I can get them...will it fly?...or do I ballast the nose to bring CG forward to 2 3/4 inches (70 mm) or to at least under 80 mm? I've come too far to goober it up on the first test toss.