Joined Apr 2005
319 Posts
Thanks Peter for your help.
It is all good
nashopel is offline Find More Posts by nashopel
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:09 PM
PATTYSTOM
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Flatulence). It is temporarily hidden while PATTYSTOM edits it.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 12:55 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
That question would be best answered in another thread..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Feb 18, 2008, 05:54 AM
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Sad news, clipped the wing of the siren on its maiden flight and snapped the wing at the join. It was flying well for about 2.5min until i got a lock out and went into a slow spiral till it hit the deck.......yup the antenna was at 90 degrees to the Rx and trailing outside the glider, however I think back now that tapping it to the fuse was cause for disaster....

I have had suggestion from a couple of guys to pass the antenna all the way through the fuse and the put an extension on the antenna so that it trails 1-1.5m behind the fuse

It's back to Tower Hobbies to order a new wing.
Cockar is offline Find More Posts by Cockar
Old Feb 18, 2008, 06:30 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Is this 72MHz? Did you do a range check before flying?

My antenna simply ran from behind the wing up to the top of the fin, and hangs loose from there. You must keep it away from the carbon.
..a
Old Feb 18, 2008, 02:31 PM
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Hi Andy, no I was using 36 Mhz as I am in Australia.

I did a range check and got about 80 feet before I lost the signal with a collapsed antenna. I have read a few posts now on carbon fibre gliders and all are saying it is pretty much imperative to have the antenna in the line of sight of the Tx. I am deducing that taping the antenna along the fuse had to be the major problem.

What are the orange pieces you have in the photo from the wing to the stabilizer ? How long would you say is your Rx antenna extended outside the fuse ?
Last edited by Cockar; Feb 18, 2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:15 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
They are meant to show where the antenna runs, up from the trailing edge to the top of the fin. You can also see the remainder hanging off the back. Virtually all of my antenna was outside the fuselage, perhaps 1-2" inside only. Yes, taping to the carbon fuselage is as bad as putting it inside. 80 feet is VERY low, you should get much more than that. Sorry for your loss..
..a
Old Feb 19, 2008, 11:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Dam, it looks like the glider suffered more damaged than what I first thought, the wing needs to be replaced, but the fuse also has sustained a crack in the wing saddle. It does not extend down to the side of the fuse which I hope is a +ve. Has anyone had success in epoxying the CF or is it safer to buy a new fuse

The last photo shows the battery tray as coming away from the fuse. It looks like this is just epoxied in and hopefully the repair is that simple...
Old Feb 20, 2008, 04:48 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
For the tray, epoxy is fine. Repair the crack with a drop of CA first, then apply a small patch of glass (with epoxy) from the inside to hold it together.
..a
Old Feb 28, 2008, 09:33 AM
Bellingham WA
Joined Feb 2008
17 Posts
questions

I have enjoyed this review of the Siren Hotliner. I have been out of RC for a while and have 2 questions.

1. Is there a mid range brushless motor to use with this model for less than the $300+ price of the Kontronix?

2. What are the radio choices with the "spoileron" feature?

Thanks

Ron
Ronald S is offline Find More Posts by Ronald S
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:13 PM
Germany
Joined Jan 2007
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald S
I have enjoyed this review of the Siren Hotliner. I have been out of RC for a while and have 2 questions.

1. Is there a mid range brushless motor to use with this model for less than the $300+ price of the Kontronix?

2. What are the radio choices with the "spoileron" feature?

Thanks

Ron
If you have read these thread, you could see there are some variations for different motor solution, I think the biggest difference is the kind of brushless motor: 1. you want to use a inrunner with gear or 2. a outrunner as direct drive.
The inrunner version is mostly more expensive than the outrunner solution, but the inrunner is easier to install, have also mostly more weight (so its easier to reach the correct CG without using much additional lead)
The outrunner is often a little tricky to install (keyword prevent that the motor rubbing the wires) A well known outrunner is the axi motor.

WOlfgang
fwolf15 is offline Find More Posts by fwolf15
Old Mar 02, 2008, 12:39 PM
what the...
Joined May 2007
261 Posts
After flying the siren a couple of times, I realize that I really do need spoilerons. Does anyone have spoileron percentages or throws that I should start out on?

Thanks
minitelemaster is offline Find More Posts by minitelemaster
Old Mar 03, 2008, 10:19 PM
Go SIU Go
Russellville, AR, USA
Joined Dec 2007
15 Posts
Lower budget brushless

RonaldS

I posed that same question back on post 291. I'm still in the process of building, but after lots of great information found in the posts here I've decided to go with the following set-up (which I have not had any feedback on/nor found anyone else using) and will post how it turns out.

ElectriFly 35mm Rim-Fire outrunner (GPMG4600 ) $55
Here are the specs from TH:
--Can Diameter: 1.38" (35mm)
--Can Length: 1.18" (30mm)
--Shaft Diameter: .16" (4mm)
--Shaft Length: .65" (16.5mm)
--RPM/V (kV Rating): 1450
--Weight: 2.47oz (71g)
--Propeller: 9x6E-12x6E
--Input Voltage: 7.4-11.1V
--Max. Constant Current: 35A
--Max. Surge Current: 40A
--Max. Constant Watts: 388W
--No Load Current: 1.8A

APC 12x8.5 on a 45mm hub $10

ElectriFly 50 Surge/45 Cont. Brushless ESC (GPMM1840 ) $60

ElectriFly 10-cell 12V 2000mAh 4/5 sub-c (GPMP0353 ) $30

Total Cost $155

This set-up does not include a spinner or prop adapter (because TH doesn't currently have one that fits). So, will likely upgrade props before its all said and done and go with the Graupner's that everyone here seems to prefer. Looking at the 12X6 cam blades ($10), and it looks like I'll have to buy a seperate 36mm spinner with a 4mm shaft adapter (DKT3640) to mate with the Rim-Fire outrunner ($22) (hobby-lobby.com ).

The prop upgrade brings the total to around $180

I found a generic axi ($30) and esc ($15) out there (following a link I found in this post to hobbycity aka unitedhobbies ) but it looks like they are actually SHIPPED from hong kong. I just didn't want to deal with international shipping or any warranty concerns, so I stayed with TH (plus I had a credit for the brushed set-up I originally ordered). The Rim-Fire does not appear to be as powerful as the AXI's being used, but I'm not looking for 500W+ (yet!)

The 10 cell 4/5 sub-c is the original battery TH/GP recommends with the Kantronics geared inrunner, so I'm pretty sure it fits (and I need to stay with the less expensive NiMH cells for now).

Hope this helps!!...Doug

PS...would really like to see the experienced guys input on this set-up!!
KC7MPV is offline Find More Posts by KC7MPV
Old Mar 04, 2008, 05:56 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minitelemaster
After flying the siren a couple of times, I realize that I really do need spoilerons. Does anyone have spoileron percentages or throws that I should start out on?

Thanks
All of it! As much as you can get out of your linkages and servo arms..
..a
Old Mar 04, 2008, 12:46 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1 Posts
CG madness

Andy, thanks for all of your great input and support on this forum! I've read all of the threads and found them most useful however, when it comes to CG I think I've only become more confused other than the stated 55mm in the manual is wrong. By taking all suggestions into account I've averaged it to about 75mm back from leading edge (some have said as high as 100mm). I just did my 1st hand toss and it "seemed" reasonable. Noting how fragile this fuse is I fear actual flight w/o knowing what CG YOU have found best suited for this plane?

On another note, I cannot get as much throw on the elevator as I would like (it max's out at about 3/8"). I have a HS-55 in there with an arm as long as fits, it actually ever so slightly rubs on the round cover. I then moved the elevator horn forward about another 1/4" and I just ended up with the 3/8". How did you address this?

Again, thanks so much!
lightspeedr6 is offline Find More Posts by lightspeedr6