HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 02, 2008, 10:04 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Joined Mar 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwolf15
I use the HS 81MG, they fit perfect in the part for the HS85, and its cheaper than a HS65MG (here in germany)

Wolfgang
Wolf - where do you use HS-81MG's? I have some of these lying around - would love to put them to use!

God bless - "Rare"
Rare Bear is offline Find More Posts by Rare Bear
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2008, 10:08 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Joined Mar 2006
1,468 Posts
Hey, guys - one quick question. My Siren is showing up this Friday, and I could use a little info. I just picked up a sweet DX7 Tx, and I plan on using the AR6100 Rx - will I have any issues with this Rx due to the carbon fiber fuselage?

One other thing; I plan on using the below power system with (2) 2100mah 20C batteries - any ideas on prop size? Thanks so much!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4025A


God bless -"Rare"
Rare Bear is offline Find More Posts by Rare Bear
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2008, 10:14 PM
Marx and Lennon
S_Dave's Avatar
NW Atlanta
Joined Jan 2007
122 Posts
Outside good! Inside bad.

Hi, Rare,

The regular contributors will probably confirm that you do NOT want to run your antenna(s) inside the fuse. That carbon fiber behaves like metal and will shield your antenna. Does anybody have any actual experience with the antenna inside (range checks bad, glitches, etc.)?

Cheers and happy new year,

Dave
S_Dave is offline Find More Posts by S_Dave
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2008, 10:32 PM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
Rare,

I have a AR7000 installed in my Siren. I drilled 4 tiny tiny holes in the fuse, threaded the wires out, and added a dab of hotglue to ensure they did not fall inside the fuse.

I did not want to risk losing the model becuase of CF interference
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2008, 11:01 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Joined Mar 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity
Rare,

I have a AR7000 installed in my Siren. I drilled 4 tiny tiny holes in the fuse, threaded the wires out, and added a dab of hotglue to ensure they did not fall inside the fuse.

I did not want to risk losing the model becuase of CF interference

Liquidity - great to hear from you, and thank you for the info. So, with my AR6100, all I need to do is drill some holes and stick the antenna's out? If so, no problem there - sounds like a great idea! Think the AR6100 will be okay? I can always go with the AR7000, but if I can get away w/ the AR6100, that would be the best. Thanks for the info - appreciate it.


God bless -"Rare"
Rare Bear is offline Find More Posts by Rare Bear
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 02, 2008, 11:02 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Joined Mar 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_Dave
Hi, Rare,

The regular contributors will probably confirm that you do NOT want to run your antenna(s) inside the fuse. That carbon fiber behaves like metal and will shield your antenna. Does anybody have any actual experience with the antenna inside (range checks bad, glitches, etc.)?

Cheers and happy new year,

Dave
Dave - thanks for the info - never knew that!! Glad I can draw from the knowledge of others regarding such issues - RCG has been invaluable in such a way. Thanks!


God bless - "Rare"
Rare Bear is offline Find More Posts by Rare Bear
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 05:08 AM
Registered User
Germany
Joined Jan 2007
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Bear
Hey, guys - one quick question. My Siren is showing up this Friday, and I could use a little info. I just picked up a sweet DX7 Tx, and I plan on using the AR6100 Rx - will I have any issues with this Rx due to the carbon fiber fuselage?

One other thing; I plan on using the below power system with (2) 2100mah 20C batteries - any ideas on prop size? Thanks so much!!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4025A


God bless -"Rare"
Hi rare,

I use the Hs81MG for the ailerons, I think they fit very well, best in combination with the servorahmen (see my post from Dec 11, 2007 )
I also use a DX7, but with a AR 7000RX, I've also drilled two pinholes in the fuselage, the external smaller receiver I've installed outside the fuselage behind the mounting screw for the wing.

In the moment I have to repair my wing, two weeks ago there was a harder rough landing on the frozen ground, so the the right part of the wing was broken off at the junction between the outer and middle wing
So I have to peel off the cover and do some laminating with epoxy resin.

Wolfgang
fwolf15 is offline Find More Posts by fwolf15
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:31 AM
YardGoat lives with mama
Joined Feb 2007
3,231 Posts
I was going to use an AR6100, but my buddy changed my mine. I am glad he did. For how fast mine climbs out of sight, I would rather have the added security of the AR7000.

I have never tried it on the 6100, so I can not give you a concrete answer. TO make me feel secure, the AR7000 is the way to go.

I have never tried the Power 25 motor. Let us now how that works for you.
Liquidity is offline Find More Posts by Liquidity
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:05 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Joined Mar 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidity
I was going to use an AR6100, but my buddy changed my mine. I am glad he did. For how fast mine climbs out of sight, I would rather have the added security of the AR7000.

I have never tried it on the 6100, so I can not give you a concrete answer. TO make me feel secure, the AR7000 is the way to go.

I have never tried the Power 25 motor. Let us now how that works for you.

Thanks for the answer, Liquidity - appreciate it. What about a standard 72mhz system? I'm using an HDX Dual Conversion Rx on my Easy Glider w/ great results - not a glitch, and I've had it up higher than I cared for. The only reason I thought the 2.4ghz would be better was because of the carbon, but if I can string out an antenna out the back w/out issue, I'll go for another HDX Rx. What do you think?


God bless - "Rare"
Rare Bear is offline Find More Posts by Rare Bear
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:08 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Joined Mar 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwolf15
Hi rare,

I use the Hs81MG for the ailerons, I think they fit very well, best in combination with the servorahmen (see my post from Dec 11, 2007 )
I also use a DX7, but with a AR 7000RX, I've also drilled two pinholes in the fuselage, the external smaller receiver I've installed outside the fuselage behind the mounting screw for the wing.

In the moment I have to repair my wing, two weeks ago there was a harder rough landing on the frozen ground, so the the right part of the wing was broken off at the junction between the outer and middle wing
So I have to peel off the cover and do some laminating with epoxy resin.

Wolfgang

Bummer abut the crash, Wolf - no fun there. I just received my Siren today, and I'll keep the HS-81's in mind. Any advantage over the HS-65's in the ailerons? As for the tail servo, the review early on said epoxy wouldn't hold -how about hot glue? Ideas? Thanks!


God bless - "Rare"
Rare Bear is offline Find More Posts by Rare Bear
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:15 PM
BANNED!!!
soholingo's Avatar
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Bear
Bummer abut the crash, Wolf - no fun there. I just received my Siren today, and I'll keep the HS-81's in mind. Any advantage over the HS-65's in the ailerons? As for the tail servo, the review early on said epoxy wouldn't hold -how about hot glue? Ideas? Thanks!


God bless - "Rare"

use goop
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2008, 09:45 PM
Bad Gunkie
badbill's Avatar
USA, GA, Centerville
Joined Dec 2002
3,336 Posts
I really like hot glue for glueing the servos. It really holds great, have never had one come loose. Another benefit is that they can be removed much easier ( than goop ) at a later date if need be.

Bill Davenport
AMA 28141
badbill is offline Find More Posts by badbill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2008, 11:50 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Joined Mar 2006
1,468 Posts
Just a thought; what about running (2) 1850mah 20C 7.4V 2S batteries in series with my Eflite Power 25 870Kv motor? I just received my Siren today - what a beauty! - and I noticed how tight the fuselage is when it comes to batteries. I did a quick test fit, and it looks like I can easily get away with (2) of these 2S batteries stacked on top of each other. Amp wise, I'm within limits, and I know of another in this thread running a 1100Kv motor on 3S, so r.p.m.'s are within limits as well. My only worry is flight time with my batteries - 1850mah isn't much, so I'm not sure. If I can, I would like to avoid cutting the wood supports in the fuselage, so if anyone can validate my idea, I would truly appreciate it.

Any hints at flight time? I imagine w/ the power I'll have, I won't be on the throttle much! Thanks so much, guys - heli's are my profession, so these gliders are all new to me!

Battery
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=4370

Motor
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4025A


God bless - "Rare"
Rare Bear is offline Find More Posts by Rare Bear
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:31 AM
Registered User
Germany
Joined Jan 2007
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Bear
Just a thought; what about running (2) 1850mah 20C 7.4V 2S batteries in series with my Eflite Power 25 870Kv motor? I just received my Siren today - what a beauty! - and I noticed how tight the fuselage is when it comes to batteries. I did a quick test fit, and it looks like I can easily get away with (2) of these 2S batteries stacked on top of each other. Amp wise, I'm within limits, and I know of another in this thread running a 1100Kv motor on 3S, so r.p.m.'s are within limits as well. My only worry is flight time with my batteries - 1850mah isn't much, so I'm not sure. If I can, I would like to avoid cutting the wood supports in the fuselage, so if anyone can validate my idea, I would truly appreciate it.

Any hints at flight time? I imagine w/ the power I'll have, I won't be on the throttle much! Thanks so much, guys - heli's are my profession, so these gliders are all new to me!

Battery
http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...oducts_id=4370

Motor
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=EFLM4025A


God bless - "Rare"
Hi rare,

about the battery "discussion": I thought to use A123 cells in the future or maybe try a 4S Lipo with 3500mAh, 20C, so like the ebay item part 160191900200, but I'm not sure, bcause its titled as no brand... ok, its not too expensive but is it really worth ? I think the size and weight ( 135mm X 41mm X 32mm, 388gramm) should be ok.
Wolfgang
fwolf15 is offline Find More Posts by fwolf15
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2008, 10:50 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Rare Bear's Avatar
Joined Mar 2006
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwolf15
Hi rare,

about the battery "discussion": I thought to use A123 cells in the future or maybe try a 4S Lipo with 3500mAh, 20C, so like the ebay item part 160191900200, but I'm not sure, bcause its titled as no brand... ok, its not too expensive but is it really worth ? I think the size and weight ( 135mm X 41mm X 32mm, 388gramm) should be ok.
Wolfgang
Wolf - that battery looks good, but I agree - kind of hard to settle on a no name brand. So, as for a 4S setup, what do you think flight times would be? I could opt for (2) 1850's in series, or I could stuff a 2200mah 4S into the fuselage - just not sure about overall flight time w/ power on. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Hey; where can I find props, hubs and spinners for this glider? I purchased my prop, hub and spinner for my Cularis at Hobby Lobby, but I'm not sure about size & application. Any ideas?


Thanks and God bless - "Rare"
Rare Bear is offline Find More Posts by Rare Bear
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article Great Planes Wright Flyer ARF Review Michael Heer Parkflyers 22 Feb 15, 2010 03:42 PM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner ARF Steve H. Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 1 Sep 13, 2006 04:28 AM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner Sailplane glide Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 6 Oct 08, 2005 02:20 AM
Sold Great Planes Siren Hotliner EP ARF 79" (NIB) trw43 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Oct 03, 2005 08:20 PM
Great planes siren?? Hotliner or warmliner? argarre Electric Sailplanes 3 Sep 01, 2004 09:16 PM