Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:16 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,759 Posts
Tim,
Thanks for the link to the assortment of 3mm screw lengths. I could not find the right size in the local hardware stores here.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:07 PM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
558 Posts
Hi Guys
Finally repaired the servo issue
I scratched up the inside of the stab a lot more and epoxied the servo in, I then cut two thin strips of fibreglass mat and epoxied that over the servo and to the stab.
I then used very thick double sided tape to the servo and to the opposite side of the stab, tight fit.
Should the epoxie let go, at least the tape willl support it enough to get it home ( I hope!)
Neal
neale is online now Find More Posts by neale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:24 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,759 Posts
Neale,
How was your servo installed the first time around? I usually hot glue my servos in to my foamies. Think hot glue would do any better?
My carbon fiber arrived yesterday so I can make the wing joiners. I fished the servo extension leads through the wings with ease. The tip from someone here to tape a pushrod to the back side of the lead helped a lot. Now, only waiting for those 3mm screws for the motor mount.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:04 AM
Joined Jul 2008
558 Posts
NCR Guy, Hi
I used 2 part epoxy the first time around, I dont think I scratched the inside of the stab enough, I dont know about hot glue at all, not used it at all, it might be better as it has a bit of give, my epoxy does not. Having said that, it took a good whack to shift it though!! And this time around it is much much more secure.
Neal
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:19 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,203 Posts
My 2C?

If you're going for over-spec motors in these things - lose the hot glue.

Works well on foamies - sure.

But you're in semi hi-performance territory here - particularly if you're running above ~500W (the basic airframe isn't rated much above that anyways).

While 'hot glue' will stick, and stick good, it gets softer as the temp goes up. Nice sunny day... big orange ball beating down on your plane no longer in the shade... take it up and something important falls off. Not good.

On this plane? For me, WBP Urethane, CA, or 30 min epoxy. Minimum.

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:00 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,759 Posts
OK... I have some Gorilla Glue, which is urethane. I will use that.
I would think that CA would be too thin and brittle.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:51 PM
Joined Jul 2008
558 Posts
Follow BJ's advice on the glue.
Follow BJ's advice.
The hot glue has a much easier time with foam for a start, and the servos are under a fair percentage more load on the elevator,and don't forget to scratch up the inside of the stab AND clean out the carbon dust before glue is applied, carbon is a HARD material, and glue does not soak into any "pores" the way it can with foam balsa etc.
Only extra bit of advice I would add on to what BJ wrote is make absolutely sure that you have set the elevator straight ( I taped the elevator in place with a bit of masking tape each end to set and hold centre, and after adjusting rod etc to get the servo positioned near the cut out and so the servo arm did not foul with stab I then used 2 part slow cure epoxy. And if you read my previous you will know what else I did.
Neal
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:31 PM
Joined Jul 2008
558 Posts
Hi Guys
I was doing a bench test on motor and box
What is about the max temps we want to see?
I will start reading up on this, but thought I would ask here to start with.
After a 20 sec run WOT on3s I am reading around 65 Deg
Neal
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:49 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,759 Posts
I made my carbon/plywood wing joiners tonite. All I can say is that something else is gonna break beofre these joiners will. I sandwiched 3 of the 1.6mm plywood joiners with 4 of the 1 mm carbon fiber joiners. That put me 8 tenths of a millimeter too wide, so I sanded 1/4 of a mm off of each side of the wood joiners. Nice fit... snug, but some room for the epoxy. All I am waiting for now are my 3mm x 12mm screws for the motor.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:00 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,554 Posts
I have screws Mike. Socket or Philips?
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:11 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,759 Posts
Evan,
Mine are supposed to arrive today. But the UPS always shows up between 3 and 4:00 here. Too late for me to go flying today.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:32 PM
Joined Jul 2008
558 Posts
NCR Guy, Seems like you are about ready for GO
Neal
PS I had a read around about motor temps,seems about 82c 180 f is about safe max, I will take some inflight readings soon.
Neal
Last edited by neale; Feb 14, 2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:40 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,203 Posts
Good luck with the maiden, NC

May your knees knock and your thumbs tremble LoL.

Thinkin you might love this plane

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:54 PM
Joined Jul 2008
558 Posts
Wonder how NCR is going?
My wife just pointed out the Gratton model airshow /titles on at moment,given me the go ahead to head to it this morning for the lunchtime show then a look around yeahh
Neal
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:03 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,759 Posts
Well, I thought I was going to maiden today, but I just ran out of time putting it all together this morning. Work is starting to get in the way of fun. I will finish her up tonite, but the weather for the next few days is crappy... mid 40s, windy, snow showers. Looks like Moday could be a good day.