SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:29 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,426 Posts
Not really all that much to flying one of these things, Neal.

Open the taps, zoom it on up there nice and high, Split-S it at the top, and let gravity do the rest

I motor-off as soon as it's pointing down, and let it schuss past - turn the motor back on once it's gone away from me and start a new climb-out. I love the *nffff-shhhhtttt* sound it makes when the motor cuts and the props fold back at a distance, then wait for that whistle as it passes unassisted.

You can do like a 'lasso' move from the dive - i.e. come straight down then pull out into a horizontal loop like on one of the turns in the 'Spirit In The Sky' vid. Or just fire it straight up until it's just about a speck, throttle off, and let it stall and fall backwards into another bomb-drop dive.

On lower and slower turns, just be ready to hit the 'go' button if it starts to show signs of stalling - with your power-train it should pull out pretty easily. Even on 3S. On 4S it has oodles of power...

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:46 AM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
You know BJ, it's just as well it does not take much to flying, as I am not much of a plank flier anyway! And I kid you not.
For me, I am still trying to get the hang of how fast it covers the sky,as well as get the hang of no rudder.I seriously thought of putting the ailerons onto my rudder channel, but I kind of feel that would do my flying no good in the long term. And yes even on it has enough power for instant climb/go round.
But 4s is going to be fun
Neal.
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:08 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,426 Posts
You'll get the hang of 'bank and yank'

So many planes these days come out with Aileron and Elevator only - unlike years ago when you got Rudder and Elevator, and 'graduated' to A/R/E.

You kinda instinctively pull back a little on the Elevator as soon as you apply Aileron after a while.

'Rudder' planes are more in the 3D realm these days - and boy, that takes some getting used to if you've only ever flown A/E. First thing I have to keep telling myself is don't get lazy on the Elevator stick and swing it left or right (I'm mode 1) - otherwise I'm inadvertantly dialling in Rudder as well. I sometimes turn the throws right down on Rudder on low rates if I'm flying an A/R/E plane - only want Rudder for Hammerhead turns, Blenders etc.

I guess that the more 3D I fly, the better my discipline with the Elevator is getting - I really used to cock-up turns by accidentally yanking Rudder with Elevator on A/R/E coz I was so lazy flying A/E-only and it didn't matter where my left stick was side-to-side seeing as there was no Rudder.

If you're Mode 1, bank right stick and apply some back-Elevator left-stick as you bank. With Mode 2, you just have to remember to pull your right stick back a tad as you bank into a turn.

95% of my planes are Aileron/Elevator only, so it's all I really know. It's the Rudder that catches me out (when available) LoL

BJ
Old Feb 01, 2013, 04:45 AM
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Funny BJ, iI got one end of the problem, and you got the other, and its Mode 1 this end also.
Neal
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:07 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,426 Posts
Oh, kewl

With Mode 1, see if you can get into the habit of pulling your left thumb down when you work your right thumb left or right.

Unless you're one of those 'pinchers' - to which I'd say "good luck with that" LoL (can not get on with that pinching the sticks between my fingers deal )

BJ
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:17 AM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,031 Posts
I am not a "pincher" either.
All my gear has arrived except for my pretty blue servos. I suppose I could start ripping out that motor mount.
Neale, are you going 4s next flight?
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,426 Posts
Just CF'd a rather nasty crack that has started to develop around the fuze about 40mm back from where the LE of the wing goes into the saddle.

Previous repair job doesn't seem to have knit properly (not my repair) - the glass matting started to lift, then the crack appeared... and kept growing. Managed to reef the original mat out. Fuzzed-up as much as I could with some 80 grit.

Hope I've got it all sussed now - hit it with the hair-dryer twice tonight to try and speed things up a bit. Might not be ready for tomorrow, but Sunday's weather is looking better anyways

BJ
Old Feb 02, 2013, 05:03 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,426 Posts
...repair looks like it turned out ok.

Now to lightly sand off a couple of straggler finger-slicing shards of CF and she should be good for a fly in the A.M.

BJ
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,426 Posts
Went for a fly this morning - all good

But... for some reason, I seem to have Flapperons dialled in - when I could have sworn I'd set it up for Spoilerons. Can't remember doing that

She flew sweet, but I dorked a couple of landings in - hate it when it skips, bounces, then cartwheels over...

BJ
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:52 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,031 Posts
I have stsarted the build. I thought I was going to purchase some carbon for the new firewall, but I can not get myself to spend $40 on a little plank of carbon just to only use a small amount of it. So I purchased 1/4 inch plywood. Does anyone think this would not work? I can not imagine that it would not.
I dremeled out the old firewall in no time flat and will go from there. My $11 Turnigy servos came in... they sure are pretty... transparent purple case, one ball bearing, metal gears, lots of torque, digital. But a flying buddy of mine thinks they are BlueBird knockoffs. I have a link to them a few posts above. Anyhow, the build has started.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:57 PM
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
NCR Guy, seen you have decided to go with plywood, when you drill out the screw holes use thin ca and let it wick into the plywood, do it a couple of times, and use very thin washers either sid of the firewall, and it will hold up a lot better.
My e-mail notification was off (somehow) and I did not see your post BJ, or that you have done the repair job. I take it that it was a success, since it sounds like you tested the strength out!!Bloody hell, its just started raining AGAIN and its a day off!!
Any way I might get to the workshop and repair the Siren yet.
By the way NCR Guy, make sure you glue that fire wall in real good!
I am still trying to work thru the programming for my 9xr still, what a mission, at least I found out the 401 gyro is shot on one of my 500s, stolen the gyro off the mini titan, the same one that I stole the servo's for the Siren from!
Neal
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,426 Posts
...if you're going to use 1/4 material to make your firewall, just check to make sure your screws are going to be long enough to reach through to the motor for a secure mounting but not too long such that they foul on the windings etc. inside to the motor, NCR...

BJ
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:19 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,031 Posts
Made the new mount. I thought about that too, BJ, as I was sanding the mount down to size. I'll measure the screws that came with the gear box. I bet they will be too short, because the new mount is almost twice the thickness as the old one.
Neale, the washers on both sides is a good idea.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:23 AM
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Yes I must say if you can use a lot of the 1/4 " of firewall it will be a tough unit
Neal
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:41 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,031 Posts
I was planning on running to the LHS to buy some carbon fiber sheets to make my wing joiners. Why in the heck I thought my LHS would have this in stock, I don't know. So, I had to order some from online. So, I will not be maidening this weekend. Sometime next week. I will be using 4 sheets of 1 mm carbon fiber along with 3 of the stock ply joiners, all sandwiched together. I will have to sand a bit off of the ply joiners to get it all to an 8 mm thickness. This should be plenty strong.