SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:05 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
Oakies...here's my contributions to flying my Siren.

They've all been shown in this thread before, and apologies to those who may have already seen them.

But rather than have to hunt around, here they are Neale.

Spielberg I'm not - but I had heaps of fun flying. Too bad the vid qually ain't the best.

Prolly a bit boring to some...

Great Planes Siren - repair and re-maiden (raw edit) (3 min 15 sec)

Siren running HET 600-43 (3 min 57 sec)

A Sirens Point Of View (4 min 30 sec)

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Last edited by BJ64; Jan 28, 2013 at 09:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:30 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
...and hey, dude... I hope you're not in the middle of all that Cyclone action.

Pretty bad by the looks of it

Lord knows, we coulda done with all that water down here a week or so ago.

Place was on fire again...

Gettin pretty pissed-off with the same deal year after year - after all we know already.

Bloody Greenies won't let anyone cut down timber - or burn off. So instead of losing a few lousy trees, we lose thousands of hectares of land... native wildlife + farm animals... a bucket-load of houses...and sadly, lives...

When will those tools ever get it into their scons that there is this word called "management"? While we should respect the environment - sure - we also need to deal with it. Responsibly.

I wonder how many of them it will take to perish before they finally see the light?

We need to learn how to co-exist with where/how we live - and manage it in such a way that there's a reasonable balance.

Sick of seeing people burnt to death...

\rant

BJ
Last edited by BJ64; Jan 28, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:31 PM
I Used To Have More Free Time!
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,023 Posts
BJ,
Great videos. I was impressed how slow some of your turns were w/o the Siren tip stalling.
The Greenies are even worsr here in the States... all their sh.. is based on emotions and not facts nor common sense.
NCRealEstateGuy is online now Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:07 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,023 Posts
I received the Espirit spinner today... What a ripoff! The f'ing thing is plastic! For $24. And it did not come with a yoke... I had to buy that separately. It cost $10! So, $34 for a piece of crap spinner! I only spent $75 on the ARF! No where did I see the ad say that it was not metal. I ordered the white one because the brushed aluminum one was out of stock. The aluminum one is only $20, and comes with the yoke! Very disappointing. I always assumed that Espirit was into quality items, not cheap plastic. I could have gotten a nice aluminum one from EBay for $7. One that included the yoke assembly. No wonder so many people shop out of the Country.
http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...ropellers.aspx
Last edited by NCRealEstateGuy; Jan 28, 2013 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Becuase I am pissed
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:00 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,184 Posts
They are very nice spinners but yes you do have to know what you are getting. Just so you know they are fairly delicate in the nose where the screw goes through the spinner to the collet. Also if you use thread lock don't get any on the plastic there as it will weaken it. Mike this is the spinner I have on my big Dragonfly, the transparent red white and blue glider.

The Graupner one's are quite a bit nicer and heavier duty but you may have a hard time finding the right size in stock. But between Esprit, SUSA, and Hobby Lobby yo ucan usually find what yoou need.

If you want good stuff it does cost, the blades on my BulleT were over $50... Motor over $250. Castle ESC, Castle BEC, good servos. I have a grand in it and it has flown flawlessly for 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy View Post
I received the Espirit spinner today... What a ripoff! The f'ing thing is plastic! For $24. And it did not come with a yoke... I had to buy that separately. It cost $10! So, $34 for a piece of crap spinner! I only spent $75 on the ARF! No where did I see the ad say that it was not metal. I ordered the white one because the brushed aluminum one was out of stock. The aluminum one is only $20, and comes with the yoke! Very disappointing. I always assumed that Espirit was into quality items, not cheap plastic. I could have gotten a nice aluminum one from EBay for $7. One that included the yoke assembly. No wonder so many people shop out of the Country.
http://www.espritmodel.com/aeronaut-...ropellers.aspx
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Last edited by Evan D; Jan 28, 2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:11 PM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
692 Posts
Well my Siren was going great guns, CG and trims all just perfect, covering film all ironed and smooth and I'd just ironed down a little bit of film that was flapping. Then it all went bad

I managed to throw a blade on my prop, I think I must have cracked it at the shoulder on the previous landing which was less than perfect. Anyway, zooming around at WOT and suddenly the noise changed. I cut throttle and managed to glide her in very easily for a tidy landing but of course when it threw the blade it put the motor out of balance and munched the front end of the fuse. She'll fly again but I'll need to read up on how to repair carbon and build a new front end. Photos to follow.

Spewin'!
Wormboy is online now Find More Posts by Wormboy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:26 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
Bugger, WB

I don't know how crunched-up your nose area is, but if you've got some CF or Glass matt and resin, it's probably worth trying to fix it.

Here's how mine ended up after I ripped the firewall out - and had a go at repairing it: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1519

She's still flying sweet...

BJ
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:36 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,023 Posts
Evan,
I'm surte it is a decent spinner, and I don't really mind spinning $24 on the thing... I just think they should advertise it as a plastic spinner so there are no surprises at the mailbox.
Wormboy, too bad on throwing the blade. I did that once on a 2 meter glider, and it totally ripped the firewall, motor and prop assembly completly from the plane. So I guess you could have seen worse. Somewhere in this thread there is a good pictorial on how to repair exactly what you need repairing.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
*pssst*...the one I just posted the link to.. LoL

BJ
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:24 PM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
692 Posts
Thanks for the link guys.
BJ, mine looks pretty much like yours did except my damage extends a little further back where the back of the motor kicked out to the side. Your repair job looks very tidy. nice work.
That link was just to the before and after, is the "how to" in there as well?
I was very lucky that all of the motor hardware was still intact, including the firewall, motor, electrics, and spinner (and 1 blade ) As soon as I heard the niose change I chopped the throttle so I must have caught it fast enough before it all pulled away completely.

NC, Why dont you try this Hking spinner sits pretty nicely on mine, perhaps get some better blades than I did though
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
2,023 Posts
I only order from the global warehouse if I have a large order. I have a $34 spinner now, so I might as well use it. No one will know it is cheap plastic once it is launched.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:29 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormboy View Post
That link was just to the before and after, is the "how to" in there as well?
Yup - if you go to that post in this thread, you'll see the progress pics and a few words of what I did, where I had trouble, and what I'd do different in the posts before it...

BJ
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:12 AM
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Yup - if you go to that post in this thread, you'll see the progress pics and a few words of what I did, where I had trouble, and what I'd do different in the posts before it...

BJ
Nice one, I think I've got tonight's reading material sorted.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:29 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
Kewl

Hope you get some useful mileage out of it.

Let us know how you get on, yah?

BJ
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:47 AM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Thank's for posting the vid's BJ. I had only seen one of them. and it gives me a few pointers on how to fly the siren, boy I need the help!! Or is that practice
Must inform the wife I need more practice, I'll see how that goes.
I have not been able to watch the vids or post at all the last few days, as our internet has been a lot wonky since the storm, the neighbours phone line and ours got zapped a bit with lightening, and olso moisture in the line. Telstra have been here most of the day to try and fix it, they found a number of faults in the cable so they elected to string a slave cable up to the house..
In the next few weeks they are bringing a backhoe in to dig a new trench and lay a new cable to the house. However it is fine for now and it is very much better!
I am sorry to see a couple of problems, hang in there guys.
I am going to repair the elevator servo in mine tomorrow I hope, and go flying Sunday, I will try get some vid myself.
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale