Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:25 PM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Your rite about preflight, I almost went for a second flight last week, had I done that after the hard landing I may not have checked, instant disaster, now it will be preflighted EVERY flight!
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:57 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Your rite about preflight, I almost went for a second flight last week, had I done that after the hard landing I may not have checked, instant disaster, now it will be preflighted EVERY flight!
Neal
EVERY TIME... I talk out loud to myself "Left, Left, Up" (Left Stick, Left Aileron, Up) etc.. I had an elevator servo reverse somehow and I caught it during the pre-flight, so take the 3 seconds it takes... lol
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:15 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,106 Posts
..."elevator up"...during flight... and nothing happens... that's the one you don't want to miss... LoL

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Oh and dont forget move al the sticks,,, and nothing happens!! went failsafe, then went into a beautiful right wing down, a bit of down elervator, motor stayed at last setting, near flat out, I loved that .75 powered 60 size trainer!!
RIP the " BRONWEN 11" (2) All I have left is a wing a motor and tailplane, to rebuilt with a modified wing and build a diff fuze. Morale of story is,,, dont forget to set failsafe PROPERLY
Neal
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:12 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,106 Posts
Have 2 I can add to that:

#1 - Know thy Tx.

Mate was about to maiden his brand new big Carbon slope-soarer. Thought he'd do the right thing and range-test it first. Found out after he threw it out for the first time that you have to turn that particular brand of Tx off on again after doing a range test - otherwise it stays in range-check mode (depleted signal)

Result? Got about 100ft out, and spiralled down into terra firma.

#2 - Always range-check to the full distance (about 30 paces on a JR)

Muggins here had just taken ownership of a top condition second-hand 'Swift' slope-soarer. Fully carbon-socked fuze (as tough as a star picket). The previous owner flew on 36meg, and being CF fuzed, he had an extra-long antenna out the back to clear the carbon.

I'm on 2.4 and well aware that you need to poke both the short antenna of JR stuff outside the fuze, so I drilled a couple of neat little holes up in the nose and pulled the antenna out through them. All packed it nice and neat.

Of course, during setup, I was moving things around a bit etc etc and pulled the Rx out a couple of times. As luck would have it, last time I put it back in, I didn't pull the antenna back out through the fuze.

Range-check - ok. Well... at least at ~4 metres. Looks good. Let's fly. Up... out... loop ... roll... kewl

Now lets do a couple of quick passes - out further to the right to set-up for a bomb-drop fast pass. Lovely.

Ok... running out a bit far now... pull it back closer into the lip... nothing. Try to roll it in a bit closer... nothing.. .nose dipping now.. try some up elevator.... nothing.

Result? Got about 100ft out, and spiralled down into terra firma.

From about 200ft up on this particular hill. Lawn-darted perfectly vertical. Fuze? Not a scratch on it. The rest of a plane? Moulded confetti

Left it all hooked up and when I got back to the car, did another range check. Bloody hell! It all still works! .... at 4 paces (same distance as the original range-check). Take one step back... offline. One step forward.. online again.

No 'whiskers' sticking out the fuze. Bugga.

It was getting enough signal to the Rx through the carbon at 4 paces...at 5 paces, she was all done.

Had I not been lazy and stepped out the full 30 paces for the range-check, I would have immediately twigged that I hadn't pulled the antenna wires back through the fuze.

We live and learn...

BJ
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:20 AM
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Exspensive reminder about preflight's BJ
Anyway we have a lot of rain happening at the moment here so no flying this weekend, so doing house stuff and maintenance on hobby stuff. And I am hopeing not to have as bad a time as you did BJ, I got my new 9XR the other day and I am trying to learn the programming on it so I can fly my helis again
I hate this part of the hobby. So I am hoping that at the end of the weekend my test 500 is still in one piece!!
Neal
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:00 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,106 Posts
Too right - when you consider it takes less that 5 seconds to do a simple pre-flight... a whole minute and a bit to do a range check.

I still try to do a simple one before every flight - even if it's just for changing out the LiPo and flying the same plane back-to-back. So many things can go awry, even after a 'safe' landing.

Mate unknowingly broke off one of the two JR Rx antenna when pulling a battery pack out and putting in a freshie. Flew fine - until it oreiented parallel to the remaining antenna. *bingo* Offline. You can guess the rest...

BJ
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:59 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,750 Posts
Here are the $12 servos I have ordered... 8 of them. I have a Clancy Super Bee to put together too. I have bought Turnigy ESCs, and motors and have had no problems.
As far as receivers... I use the 4 channle Orange from HK. They do not have a long attenae at all; maybe one inch. Will this be enough to stick out the fuse and still get good reception. I will be using a sattelite too.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=33316
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:43 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,541 Posts
Those servos are sure pretty, let us know how they work. I don't think you're getting any benefit using a satellite with the 4ch Orange receivers as the 4ch one's don't have a port to plug in the satellites. I think you mean the 6ch ones. Have you seen that HK came out with two new 6ch DSM2 receivers? One has the long antennea like the 7 and 9ch.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Hi guys,Yhey are the servo's I was looking at, before I stole the Hitec's from my mini titan!
A run domn about them when you try them would be good.
This is the one area that is really cutting down the outlay in thes hobby, TX's and Rx's fro m the newer manafacturers. I wont get started on that soapbox!
I am useing frsky Rx in the Siren, working great, started to set up the Orange Rx to run with my spectrum Rx'z in my helis hope ok.
I have read,,, See where I said [U]read[U][/ that the frsky ihas the best range of 2.4 stuff. So I have read!!
Neal
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:39 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,750 Posts
You caught me snoozing at the controls again Evan. I forgot that the 4 channels don't have the sattelite port. I will have to go with the 6 channle for the Siren. I suppose the US warehouse does not have them yet, as that is where I was shopping.
I will try these servos for a while as my first digital ones.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:52 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,106 Posts
No Siren action on the weekend?

BJ
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:48 AM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,750 Posts
We need some videos.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:56 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,106 Posts
I don't have any new ones...

Wanna see some old posts (regurgitated)?

BJ
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:42 AM
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Why not BJ, I am sure you will find some good stuff
And no action this week end, weather up here not so good
Neal