HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:08 PM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
569 Posts
Hi Guys,
I just thought I would bring up something about the great planes gearbox, in the instructions they dont really state strongly enough that the front of the gearbox should be locktighted, DO IT!!! I am not really one to test before fitting, this time however I decided to test the motor and box before mounting, that was a good idea! As I got to about half throttle on 3s the front of the box started to unscrew itself, shut down and no problem, only unscrewed a quarter turn. So I have now locktighted and am waiting for it to set before another run, check it.
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:47 AM
Joined Jul 2008
569 Posts
Here is photos of the finished fuse installation.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:41 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Hi Guys,
I just thought I would bring up something about the great planes gearbox, in the instructions they dont really state strongly enough that the front of the gearbox should be locktighted, DO IT!!! I am not really one to test before fitting, this time however I decided to test the motor and box before mounting, that was a good idea! As I got to about half throttle on 3s the front of the box started to unscrew itself, shut down and no problem, only unscrewed a quarter turn. So I have now locktighted and am waiting for it to set before another run, check it.
Neal
I agreee with you Neal. In fact, the instructions say something like not even to worry about tightening the front housing very much because it will "tighten itself" as you run the motor due to the direction of the propeller rotation and torque.

I don't know about that. So yes, I go the loctite route.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:51 AM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Here is photos of the finished fuse installation.
Looks about right.... I see a maiden voyage in your future.
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:17 AM
Joined Jul 2008
569 Posts
Hi Guys
I was thinking tomorrow morning actually, then I thought hang on I have not set up spoilerons yet, and not set up any rates, I am assuming that this is going to need some lower rates for take off and landing, so I think I shall spend a couple of hours in the morning doing that, and leave the maiden till later in the week.
What sort of throws are recomended, as I have not chased that up yet, if no suggestions I will chase that up next couple of days.
I dont see any point in rushing it, this is the fastest thing i have ever flown!
But at least its at the final tweaking stage, and i am pretty happy, I will just have to wait a bit longer to hear that sound
Neal!!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:59 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Hi Guys
I was thinking tomorrow morning actually, then I thought hang on I have not set up spoilerons yet, and not set up any rates, I am assuming that this is going to need some lower rates for take off and landing, so I think I shall spend a couple of hours in the morning doing that, and leave the maiden till later in the week.
What sort of throws are recomended, as I have not chased that up yet, if no suggestions I will chase that up next couple of days.
I dont see any point in rushing it, this is the fastest thing i have ever flown!
But at least its at the final tweaking stage, and i am pretty happy, I will just have to wait a bit longer to hear that sound
Neal!!
The rates, Spoileron's, etc are "nice" but not manditory.... You'll discover that the roll rate is like slow motion no matter the rate (compared to std aircraft)... The speed on climb out is impressive, but your heading up away from bad things (ground), and once your up you can trim her out, thermal a bit to some high alt acro moves and when you get tempted, take a "Hell Dive" from 1000' across the Tarmac and climb out again, she's a real puss cat.... Landings are long and methodical.... You'll be fine, good luck
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:30 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,646 Posts
Tim, I see you didn't say anything about loctite on the pinion. I use green on mine.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:46 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,622 Posts
Yah - good luck on the maiden, Neal

You've got heaps of room in there with the big DLux compared to my old clunker Plush 80A.

I'll measure my throws later on today sometime, if that's any help.

Hand launching is a doddle - I hang on to mine, take it to about 3/4 throttle, and basically let it go at ~30-45 degrees. You don't need full power on launch, and you don't need to "throw" it - just take it up to where you can feel it starting to really want to pull out of your grip (did I mention hang on to it? LoL). It should more or less just fly out of your hand from there with just a gentle nudge.

And like the boys have already said, just get it up there... then play with the trims. Unless you've got something seriously wrong in the set-up, it should be easy to fly and glide nicely though relatively quick. Take care not to go too slow in turns so that you don't tip-stall. Keep it up a couple of crashes high and start to get the feel for it. Bring it up to a WOT pass rather than punching the throttle full-bore first up - just to see what it does.

Be aware, they can be deceptively fast. That's a 2m Bird you're flying there, so it may look slow-ish when it's actually covering the length of a footy field in only a few seconds

Just make sure you've got a decent paddock to land it in - they tend to come in rather hot. And being as sleek as they are, they can easily 'skipping stone' on you if you whack it down too hard. On the other hand, mine has taken ages to pull-up once down on the ground - particularly if the grass is damp.

I'm still practicing doing a turn or two to bleed off speed before coming in on final, but I worry a bit about going just that little bit too slow and stalling. It doesn't need much to get it in the air, but extra space on landing is a bonus.

She'll be right mate - enjoy

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Jan 05, 2013, 03:42 PM
Joined Jul 2008
569 Posts
Thanks for the feed back guys,
I shall wait till I see your rates BJ, and set the up, I need to chek my end points anyway.
As for spoilerons, I'd rather have that set up, just in case plus it will help insure I have everything else set up ok,
I plan on Tuessday or Wednesday morning if the weather ok
Neal

PS. Just a tad nervous!
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:12 PM
Joined Jul 2008
569 Posts
Hi guys
I went out this morning with a relie up from Melbourne to fly a couple of foamies. Took a bit of a detour around the back of where I live, and ran into the field that a new club has the use of, it is set on a really large turf farm, absolutly great peice of ground, I was looking for a good bit of ground for the siren. It is a very small club, that is limited to 21 members, by the land owner, and there is a couple of spots left, So was an extremely good mornings flying, they only fly Sundays though, very friendly and extremely informal.
Basicly a few rules, just bring what ever you like planes gliders foamies heli's tricoptors quads, and if you think you can fly it try it.
Much nicer than my previous club, and a five minute drive. Sssoooo the Siren is going down there next sunday morning, weather and work permitting, I am absolutlly stoked! So Bj, don't rush with the rates,
Neal
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:16 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,805 Posts
You gonna take some video? Good luck.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy
Old Jan 05, 2013, 10:45 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Tim, I see you didn't say anything about loctite on the pinion. I use green on mine.
Yea, there is some kind of locking compound intended for press-on fittings and it might even mention it in the manual (don't remember). I would have used it if I had any, but I don't so I haven't used it.

Thanks for noting that though.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 06, 2013, 03:32 AM
Joined Dec 2003
421 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am setting up a Siren presently,
using the Great Planes gearbox with an HET 2w-25 motor which is around same weight as the ammo. Using 4s 2200 pack
However I need a pile of nose weight to get it to balance to 70mm.
I don't see you guys using nose weight.

Any suggestions ?
lennyk is offline Find More Posts by lennyk
Last edited by lennyk; Jan 06, 2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:34 AM
Joined Jul 2008
569 Posts
Hi lennyk, I am running nose weight, because the Siren back when nicads were the go nose weight was not a problem. KRProton has altered his batt tray so battery is further forward, a lot of guys are running heavier motors, some guys are flying with c of g back at 80 to 85mm, I am running the ammo motor and great planes gear box, I am also useing a oversize, hence overweight esc that does not help. And I am running 30 grams of lead up front, and others are running nose weight as well.So in answer to your question yes weight is being used, only alternative, heavier motor. Some say they dont like to add weight to thier plane, and most of the time I would agree, but in the case of the Siren that was originally designed for a heavier battery anyway, if I am putting a bit of that weight back---so what, and this plane can perform better at certain points in its flight with the extra weight anyway, plus the fact that we are running way more power than the plane was designed for in the first place, the plane is still lighter with li-po's anyway, I am quite happy. You probably have your own way of adding the needed weight, but, I just melted down the amount of lead I needed on a flat surface till it was pretty flat, then hammered it thinner still so it was easier to bend into the shape of the fuse, then epoxied it into the fuse rite behind the firewall straight under the intake vents, hope this helps.
Neal
PS. NCR, Dout I will get any vid footage, lack of hands, and hard to get good video footage, but I will get a couple of shots after maiden,.... I HOPE!!
Last edited by neale; Jan 06, 2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 07:54 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
I just use a bigger motor lol
But seriously, I use the MVVS which coincidently weighs exactly the same as the ammo/gb setup....
My arrangement is: Motor, ESC (velcro'd to roof), Battery, RX (in compartment next to rear bulkhead).
I removed the plywood formers, but leave the rear bulkhead if at all possible.
No probs ever on a CG... Hope that may help...