HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:07 AM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
587 Posts
Thanks BJ
I dont know where I stand, not registerd mail, I suppoose they have the option of telling me to go jump if they so choose.
More annoying is I really cant afford to purchase another motor and gearbox at the moment.
Heence why I am looking for the cheapest option at the moment, if someone says this fits, works and is not too dear I will jump at it.
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:41 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,875 Posts
Dude - if I knew something I had would fit staight in, I'd send it to you...

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:33 AM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined Nov 2012
68 Posts
Anybody here have any experience with this motor from Hobbyking I've listed below? It seems like it would be a good warmliner setup on 3S for the Siren if you could keep the temps down. It also does 4S. Also, can someone explain the benefits of using a gearbox with inrunner motors? Is it to get more torque out of a motor without having to increase motor size? Update - well I did some research and it looks like most inrunners are rated at higher kv which is why we use gear boxes to lower a given kv (rpm) to be able to use bigger props.

Turnigy Inrunner 480L V-Spec 1370 kv
Max current: 60A
Dimension: 57mm x 30mm, 70mm(with shaft)
Weight: 143g (not including connectors)
Diameter of shaft:4mm
Length of front shaft:13mm

This motor data was posted in the comments section on HK's website by jackosmeister. He was using it on a Siren Hotliner:
3S -

11x6 Aeronaut cam
9404rpm
11.4V
42A
484W
1.8kg thrust
84.6kmh pitch speed

11x7 Aeronaut cam
9270rpm
11.35v
43.36A
496W
1.6kg thrust
100kmh pitchspeed

12x6.5 Aeronaut cam
8886rpm
11.3V
47.4A
540W
1.93kg thrust
88kmh pitchspeed

Switched the pack from g3 3300 3S to 1800 3S 40C at this point (what im running in the stinger)

11x10 Aeronaut cam
9015rpm
11.07v
54A
609W
1.56 kg thrust
139kmh pitch speed

Back to the 3300 G3

11x5.5 APCe
11.38v
42.61A
488W
1.7kg thrust
80kmh pitch speed

12x6 APCe
8800rpm
11.2v
49.87A
563W
2.3 kg thrust
80kmh pitch speed
SOOFLY is offline Find More Posts by SOOFLY
Last edited by SOOFLY; Dec 06, 2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
587 Posts
SOOFLY,
Sounds like the above would be a choice to consider, I have been looking at a 540 one as well.
Neal
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Jul 2008
587 Posts
Hi Guy's
As some of you would be aware I have been the victim of our much maligned postal service, so far no change to that!
However I received an email from Tower Hobbies in answer to a post I put here about the motor and gearbox disappearing in the mail.
I was quite impressed with the fact that they took the time to e-mail me about it.
I have heard their customer service is good, now I know it is good!
They explained their experience with postage time frame, which I fully understand.
They have asked me to let them know after a set date as to whether or not the items have arrived or not, and their procedure from there.
The fact that after the post is noticed by them, they have taken the time to send me a personal reply and detailed explanation of their experience, and how they deal with it was surprising and pleasing. Based on this alone, my estimation of the customer service from Tower Hobbies has gone up immeasurably and I will be continuing to deal with them.
I would suggest that others keep this kind of customer service in mind, as I have found over the years that this is a disappearing commodity.Neal.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,662 Posts
I have dealt with Tower since the mid 1970s, Neal, and I haven't a single unresolved problem. My only complaint is that they haven't quite caught up with the industry re: sailplanes and electric power.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Dec 06, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jul 2008
587 Posts
Well if they keep there ear to the ground, they will catch up, if your refering to warmliner-hotliner style, I notice a couple of companies are are only just starting to get a move on.
Neal
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,875 Posts
Took mine out for a burl just before dark last night.

Dunno why, but I still get sweaty palms flying it

Oh... and did I mention the sound...?

BJ
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:46 AM
Joined Jul 2008
587 Posts
I really am wanting to hear that sound BJ!!
Neal
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:08 PM
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Mar 2006
739 Posts
I am amazed to see this kind of following for this length of time for the GP Siren. I got one when they first came out years ago. I had a blast with it and for some now un-remembered reason I sold it.

I now own a hilltop farm in Tennessee... I fly right off of my own turf... very nice!!! It is windy here much of the time.. I wanted a sailplane that likes the wind... In my mind I went over the many many saiplanes I have owned and remembered how much I enjoyed flying the Siren and with it's RG15.. how it loved to fly in the wind!

Now I have purchased a new Siren via a great deal at Tower Hobby... I have gathered the gear to outfit it... and now am about to start my build! I am really looking forward to flying it and hearing that missed but still remembered familiar Siren roar as she zooms out of the heavens and across the field!!!!

Yes... there are much more expensive better constructed, better flying aircraft of this type available... but for the money and the mega fun the Siren provides... I still chose the Great Planes Siren for my windy day Tenneesse hilltop farm go to ride!!
sdstick is offline Find More Posts by sdstick
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:06 PM
Joined Jul 2008
587 Posts
Now I have purchased a new Siren via a great deal at Tower Hobby... I have gathered the gear to outfit it... and now am about to start my build! I am really looking forward to flying it and hearing that missed but still remembered familiar Siren roar as she zooms out of the heavens and across the field!!!!

Yes... there are much more expensive better constructed, better flying aircraft of this type available... but for the money and the mega fun the Siren provides... I still chose the Great Planes Siren for my windy day Tenneesse hilltop farm go to ride!![/QUOTE]
I am thinking that this thread is probably going to continue for a long time yet,
Good to see that you have bought another siren, and from Tower Hobbies!!
II recieved an e-mail from Tower Hobbies today informing me that they have authorized another motor and box to be sent as replacement, going to ask if I can pay for shipping as I would like tracking #, soooo Yeeaaa! I will be buying another plane from them soon as I now have absolute faith in thier customer service.
As to the siren, from what you have written sdstick, I am sure this thread will be around for a long time yet, it appears that the desighner got this one pretty well spot on, when you wiegh up all the variables, price-build and so on.
Though it is dellinatly desined for an inrunner only really, I can tell you a 35 outrunner is just too tight to put in without too much trouble, and the turnigy D3548/4 1100Kv does not fit, it also has a shaft that cannot be reversed as the circlip has nowhere to go. So that motor is going onto a H/K fibreglass clone skywalker with an adaptor plate I made so I can run a larger prop.
Also I got a turnigy 4s A spec nano tech for the siren, and I am going to need to alter the battery tray for it, depending how rar the battery sits back in the fuse.
Neal
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Mar 2006
739 Posts
I went with an Axi last time... can't remember which one though. This time I am going to use the MVVS 4.6/1120 on 3S.... not looking for 1000watts... about 500-600 will be fine for me... I am getting old but still love the rush!!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jul 2008
587 Posts
Hi guys
Nothing wrong with lower power, I originally planned higher power, now I am plann ing to use 4s, because I bought it, but now I have to mod fuse to get it under wing!
But I am going to use a 12x8 prop so as to keep power down a bit, if I hd a smaller prop I would run it, though as BJ says,I will probably prop up soon enough!
Does any one have pics of exactly where batts sit for c of g, just for an idea of where I will need to cut tray out, I wont be cutting till I have all together, I just would like a bit of an idea now, final point decided when all together.
Hope you keep us up to date with the build sdstick
Neal
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Mar 2006
739 Posts
Hey Neal... I will be more then happy to answer any questions. I have been flying RC since I was 8 and full scale since I was 14. I am 59 and still love it!! Did I tell you I ride a Ninja??!!! Lol
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,875 Posts
KRP put up some pics re battery etc at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1511

There's a bit of discussion either side of that post....

For mine, I shaved a frag off the width of the ply 'battery bay' so that the NanoTech 45-90C 4s 2200 slid in nice and snug, and I just drop the LiPo in and pull it back (towards the tail) as far as it will go while still remaining in the bay. There's still heaps of room between the end of the LiPo and the wing bolt area, but this is gobbled up by the whacking great bulk of the Turnigy Plush 80A Speedie I'm running...

BJ
Last edited by BJ64; Dec 11, 2012 at 10:12 PM.