Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:47 AM
Sonora, Califonia
Joined Jan 2002
445 Posts
Neal,
I looked at the Hobby King dicussion on the D, and they are using same size prop and ESC, pulling same watts as me. Case is same size as the C.
Just an updated model.
I'll edit my post.
Thanks,
John
MISTERSCOTT is offline Find More Posts by MISTERSCOTT
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:11 AM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Thanks for the update John,
I will have a look at the thread, if they fit without drilling into the fuse, I have a mate who will be happy, and I will look at one myself as a motor to use till I either end up with the ammo and gearbox that is lost at the moment or a replacement in a couple of months!! Or the ultimate (for me) a MVSS motor, time will tell, however I shall have a serious look at 3548, I think it might be a good choice for the reasons you outlined, so thanks John.
Hey BJ, You are making me jaelous, looking at mine with no motor is not good! Took out my clouds fly today and had a couple of good flights on a hill side, had a nice bit of wind blowing up the face of it, so was a good bit of fun.
Neal.
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:02 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,103 Posts
An MVVS Redliner?

Mate - you and me both

Crap, those things are expensive. Aircaft - second-hand, delivered, and a wee bit tired on the fuze and starboard wing - ca $150.

MVVS Redliner - $180.

For what my Siren is, I reckon I'm better off just flying with what I've got.

Then maybe look at a serious upgrade to something like an Alex Enigma. Losta $$$ there

I find out Friday (hopefully) if I get a Contract extension. If so, and fingers crossed a 6 monther or even better, a year, I might just have some spondoolies to splurge

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:17 AM
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Good luck with a possible contract extension BJ
I am probably thinking aloud about that sort of motor for this plane, I would say it is probably for the next one!
I know where I am heading with my flying, and it is going to be something faster, but large.
Neal
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,103 Posts
Trust me - once you get that Siren of yours up and flying, you'll be addicted.

The need. The need for speed

For the $$$, it's a darn good flier. But, as I have mentioned before, it's still a 'warm' hotliner. Having had the pleasure to see a foolly sik F5B in the flesh, a Siren is comparatively mild to say the least.

But horses for courses - you get what you pay for. And a Siren is my no means a slouch. Don't be too fussed about getting on the edge of the kW for your Siren. Go for whatever donk you can get that will give you around 500W (within the recommended range).

If you're anything like me, you'll want more

But that shouldn't detract from what you can do. It may take a bit longer and less vertical to get up high, but it will still dive-bomb like a pearler.

It has the "B52" kinda look about it - bit big and menacing overhead or on a 90-deg flyby. But turn it side-on in anything but full sunshine and it almost disappears.

Sleek... fast... ~*magic*~

BJ

Oh... and did I mention the SOUND? ... LoL

Cheers Neal
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Would this be good starting point for spoileron settings on DX8? My first spoileron
Setting 1 - 30% both ailerons up, 7% elevator down.
Setting 2 - 60% both ailerons up, 15% elevator down.

This seems to give sufficient throws leftover on the ailerons to get out of trouble if needed. Hopefully that will not be needed.

Looking to try this out tomorrow.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:36 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Would this be good starting point for spoileron settings on DX8? My first spoileron
Setting 1 - 30% both ailerons up, 7% elevator down.
Setting 2 - 60% both ailerons up, 15% elevator down.

This seems to give sufficient throws leftover on the ailerons to get out of trouble if needed. Hopefully that will not be needed.

Looking to try this out tomorrow.
That's pretty close to my setup: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1809

I also dialled in 0.5 sec delayed employment - so the control surfaces don't just pop up/down suddenly.

Seems to be working well for me at the moment...

BJ
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Hi guys,
BJ,,what radio are you using?
Neal
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:42 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
hey BJ

Guess where I got the starting baseline from?

Glad to here yours working out. I too have put mine on delayed. Had thought about 11 secs since that's what I typically put on flaps but decided to go with 3 secs as a start and later adjust to something higher (7-11 secs) once I am comfortable with the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
That's pretty close to my setup: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1809

I also dialled in 0.5 sec delayed employment - so the control surfaces don't just pop up/down suddenly.

Seems to be working well for me at the moment...

BJ
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
I dont think I have a delay function on my radio
Neal
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
I am currently looking at H/K's cyclone, for the money, may just be the ticket for the one after the siren.
Neal
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:37 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Hi guys,
BJ,,what radio are you using?
Neal
JR DSX9.

11 secs delay, Reefer??

Ho-li-crap... I would have already crashed 4 times by then ... LoL

BJ
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:52 AM
Joined Jul 2008
551 Posts
Hi guys.
I am off topic a little here, I fly mode 1 as thats what the guy who taught me to flly-flew, and I fly my helis and planks thais way, however it occures to me that it would be a nicer way to fly a plank particually a plane like the siren (no rudder) with the ailerons and elevator on the one stick.
I was thinking of just setting up with them both on the left stick and leaving the throttle on right stick, thoughts??
Or alternitavly just bitting the bullet and going over to mode two and be done with it, it would certainly be nicer for the helis, thoughts??
Neal
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:31 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Hi Neal,

any reason why you can't just put the aileron servo into the rudder slot in your receiver and control it just like mode 2 (aileron/elevator) except yours in on your left and those using mode 2 are on their right?

Quote:
Hi guys.
I am off topic a little here, I fly mode 1 as thats what the guy who taught me to flly-flew, and I fly my helis and planks thais way, however it occures to me that it would be a nicer way to fly a plank particually a plane like the siren (no rudder) with the ailerons and elevator on the one stick.
I was thinking of just setting up with them both on the left stick and leaving the throttle on right stick, thoughts??
Or alternitavly just bitting the bullet and going over to mode two and be done with it, it would certainly be nicer for the helis, thoughts??
Neal
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:37 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
delay function is a nice add on but not really necessary.

having a modest programmable 6 channel radio and up is nice and does come in handy for those minor touches when flying.

Quote:
I dont think I have a delay function on my radio
Neal