HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:32 PM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Hey, for the dollars, I am happy enough,wasnt that long ago that you couldnt get a speedy at anywhere near the price, and yes, it is a bit of a guide, but I dont know about the logging even. Did a quick test today, and I cant access the function, so it looks like I have been sent VER 1: Bloody annoyed with HK about that , it was an issue for people, and HK says its all sorted, so I buy one and get the old stock, Thank you Hobby King.
Still no sign of motor and box, tracking not working, I am not having a good run on this one!
Neal
neale is online now Find More Posts by neale
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:57 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
23,954 Posts
Can you flash the firmware on the ESC to bring it up to a later version maybe?

BJ

Hmm... must look at mine too then. Maybe I've got a dud earlier version as well? Will have to hook it up to something and see if the DLux programming box finds anything that looks like a log
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Dont think it is possible , let me know how yours goes
Neal
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Okay, can some one tell me what the alternative to ammo thru great planes box, is there a good direct drive that fits runs with a 12x8 folder works on 3s or 4s and gives good power min 500 watts ?
And cheap, as I would like to use it as a stop gap till either mail man turns up with lost stuf, or I am allowed to spend money!f
Neal.
Last edited by neale; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Jun 2009
23,954 Posts
You could always throw a HET in like I did.

Good for up to 1500W and 80A (but that's probably more in 6S territory).

Slightly heavy, though the CG comes in at 75mm with the HET, 4S Nanotech and 80A Plush ESC, so it's more or less spot-on.

BJ
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:28 AM
Clifton, VA
Joined Mar 2003
81 Posts
My GP gearbox came apart twice in flt. Not sure how it can unscrew itself from the motor but it does. I used some locktite but not enough. The needle bearing case for one of the gears is torn and one of the posts came out of the disk that attaches to the output shaft. I could not find any parts at Tower. I ordered another gearbox. I will try this setup one more time. I now know why the outrunners are popular.

Pat
N2UMK is offline Find More Posts by N2UMK
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:30 PM
Joined Jun 2009
23,954 Posts
From what I've seen so far, outrunners tend to be a bit too fat to fit down into the slender nose of the Siren, Pat.

That's if you're trying to get the bigger kW/thrust out of your plane. I haven't found an ideal outrunner from HobbyKing yet that will swing the bigger props without putting too much load on the motor (and burn it out, like my SK3 did ) - that's why I ended up dropping the HET that I had sitting around doing nothing into my Siren.

I'm sure there's some good outrunners out there that will do the trick - but getting the wiring past the motor can without them fouling when the motor spins is a bit of a pain. And more of a pain if they do manage to touch, shear through, then short

Interestingly enough, the MVVS Redliner is actually an outrunner, but housed inside a static external can to make it look like an inrunner - and the wiring comes out the back of the can too, so there's nothing you have to try and sneak past the side of the can. Can't really justify $180 for a motor at this time, though.

BJ
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
It has been sitting around for a while now, but it's now time to get her up and soar.

This is my first warmliner/hotliner sailplane. I had the PZ raidan pro and sold it this past summer to a flying hobbyist and currently enjoy EF Ascent on/off on occasions.

Build is underway. Here's a few shots of the work in progress and the mess that comes with it (no turkey dinner here ).

I plan to maiden tomorrow if everything goes as planned

To be done list:
  • Epoxy motor mount to fuselage. Currently in progress. Waiting to dry. Not sure if I should also apply epoxy inside the motor mount to ensure a more secure bond but can be problematic to apply and motor mount remove could b problematic later.
  • Aileron servos installation
  • Balance CG
  • Ailerons and elevator throws

Setup:
Motor - MVVS 4.6/840
ESC - Jeti Advance 70 Pro SB
Servos - 3 HS-65MG
Receiver - Spektrum AR6255
Battery - 3S 2200 or 3S 2700. I have not settle on which one. I guess it'll depend on CG.
Spinner - BB 40/5/8mm folding spinner
Prop - Aeronaut 13x6.5 folding propeller
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:27 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,983 Posts
Just some FYI....it is possible to use some good outrunners in the nose and not get wire rubbing. I did have to be extra careful and use some hot glue on the wires, but I have been able to mount my AXI 2826/10 in both of my Sirens.

We found if you run the wires just right you can get the hot glue on the wires through the fuselage side airvents. I haven't had any wire rubs in dozens of flights on either Siren.

It's not the perfect solution, but possible. The AXI is about the largest motor that could possibly fit in there.

Just some extra info for any new Siren owners showing up here.
Happy flying,
Ken

A real great tip I got during my first build:
Using a long stick (I used BBQ bamboo skewer) apply GOOP glue to the inside of the fuselage where your wires run. Next, get something flexible that can be pushed inside through the air vents and will bend around under or over the motor and hold the wires in place against the fuselage and GOOP. Once dry, pull this piece out, if possible, or use an Xacto kife just inside the vent, to cut the end off. This small plastic piece will then shield the wires away from the motor.
This works very well, just don't use too much GOOP because if you need to remove the motor you will have a heck of a time getting that GOOP to let go! It doesn't take much at all to work. It is best to run the motor wires inside a straw or to heat shrink the wires first so the GOOP doesn't ruin the wires to the motor.
Hope this makes sense.
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CSI; Nov 24, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 05:59 PM
Joined Jun 2009
23,954 Posts
That's how the SK3 was set-up in my Siren when I bought it (pre-loved).

The guy used a small piece of metal and hooked it in at the front of the motor mount - the metal ran between the motor can and the wiring. The motor wires were taped together, and the whole lot gooped/epoxied in.

Wasn't easy getting that sucker out when I torched the motor

And the metal rubbed slightly on the motor can.

After I managed to pry the dead motor out, I noticed one of the wires had also been rubbing and had taken the insulation off to expose about a cm worth of copper...

BJ
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:17 AM
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Hi guys
I hope all have had good weekend.
I think at this point I should hold my tounge about tower hobbies, I was having a look at my order, and realized what I had payed for postage, so I think a while yet is fine!
Still I am going to keep looking for a direct drive to suit the siren.
Neal
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:38 PM
Sonora, Califonia
Joined Jan 2002
445 Posts
Here is a copy of my post #1118 page 75, go there for pictures. Still flys great after 2 years!

Hi All,
This is my setup, (compiled from this thread). It works really well for learning to fly a Hotliner.
If you want more power, go to another plane that can handle it, (A HOTLINER),why trash this plane.
I really like this plane.
Motor: Turnigy C3548-1100 outrunner, wires fit fine inside fuse, no glue or heatshrink. (I checked Hobby King and they now sell it as the D3548-1100, same specks and info on dicission state power same results).
ESC: Turnigy Plush-60
Prop: Aeronaut Cam-C 13x8
Spinner: BB MODEL DKT4040 Turbospinner
Batt: Zippy Flightmax 3000 3S1P 20C
Reciever: Spektrum AR6255, antennas through fuse. per inst., so far NO signal losses detected in 20 flights.
Aileron Servos: HS-81
Elev Servo: HS-65MG
TX: DX7 w/spoilerons programmed.
AUW: 40oz.
51 amp., 520w. Static.
Climbs straight up. 3-5 seconds is my comfort height.
10 min. of warmliner flying uses 900ma
10 min. of beginner hotliner flying uses 1500ma
Nothing gets hot.
25 min. of thermal hunting used 1200ma
Only thing added was a GWS aluminum outrunner motor mount epoxied to the front ply mount.
Filed screw heads for spinner back to clear.
Opened wing saddle .25in, to fit batt. in.
I really like this plane.
It could use more weight to retain energy/speed, but I’m not there yet. I’ll add the second 3000,(8oz.), to the CG when I feel comfortable.
It covers lots of airspace just hunting for thermals w/o power.
It thermals well in medium lift, just crank it over to 30 degrees and try to keep it in the lift.
Did I say I really like this plane???
Good flying,
John
MISTERSCOTT is offline Find More Posts by MISTERSCOTT
Last edited by MISTERSCOTT; Nov 28, 2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Maiden - CHECK!

Thanks for those that have contributed to building this glider. With all the possible combinations and setups due to the fact this plane is so old, it can be bewildering. For me, CG recommendation 72-75 mm, motor mount setup was invaluable.

As planned, maiden flight and 4 additional flights were done this morning soon after sunrise. Temperature - 50 ish. Wind - 5-7 mph.

Battery - settled on 2200 mah for now since that's the largest I could squeezed in for the time being since I added a sheet of balsa to hold the battery. Anything larger just wouldn't fit without modifying the current setup.

My first warmliner. My 3rd sailplanes. My 2nd balsa sailplanes.

First launch was slightly nose heavy and required 1/2 dozen clicks and she was good. Aileron required a little more trimming to stay straight for whatever reasons. She wanted to turn left. Seems to required 1/4 available right trim on my DX8 to get it right. This was unexpected and will have to revisited but for now she's trimmed out.

During the maiden flight, I actually lost sight of her for a few seconds (around 11:50 in the video) and couldn't find where the darn thing was. Luckily for me she was already trimmed and all I had to do was wait and see where she would pop out of the sky and stop hiding . Other than those few seconds, the rest of the maiden flight and subsequent flights are rather boring to watch. I've included the lengthy maiden flight in case you're interested. Please note the video is unedited and as a result is rather lengthy from end2end.

I also had an opportunity to take her out for 4 additional flights before sunset this evening in 10+ mph winds. As a warmliner with ample power, she cuts through winds beautifully. Down winds flight were fun. I have seem to found my windy days plane to take with me

Overall it was a good day indeed

Maiden Flight - Great Planes Siren "Warmliner" (17 min 0 sec)
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Last edited by Reef_rc; Nov 25, 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Jun 2009
23,954 Posts
Managed to get home early enough from work with some daylight to spare and decided to head down to the 'local' for a fly.

I pack for the Siren, and 1 pack for the mini RareBear.

Darn! Knew I should have taken more LiPo's, but I'm down to 1 4S now (just ordered a few more Nano's from HK - hope they'll arrive before the Xmas rush).

Had the oval to myself when I put the Siren up, so I could do some nice climb-outs followed by super-low super-fast gravity bombs.

That thing just floats my boat something fierce when it whistles over my head. Deceptively fast due to it's big wing - must put the radar on it one day to see just how fast it's really going. Covers the length of a cricket field in nothing flat.

And oh - that sound!

I had company by the end of the flight, and he seemed to like the *nffff-shhhhtttt* sound when the motor brake kicked in on engine-off.

I noticed I've got a bit of a 'soft spot' for about 2 1/2" in from the TE in the middle of the right wing half that may need some attention. And I might have to re-do the 'patch' the guy who had it before me did - looks like the epoxy/mat is lifting a little.

But it's still one sweet flier

Did I mention the SOUND ??

BJ
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Hi MISTERSCOTT, I dont think they list that motor anymore, so may be irelevent now. I may be incorrect, please let me know if I am wrong.
I know two people who would use it, a mate has ordered the "D" version, which he has now been told is not the same thing.
If the "D" version is different I told him to buy a plane to suit! he didnt laugh a lot!
Be interesting to get an answer on that before he recieves it.
Neal
Last edited by neale; Nov 26, 2012 at 04:55 PM.