Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:35 AM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Hi yellowcolorado,
Well I guess that the box is the weakest links, if pushed hard enough, however those who are running the great planes gearbox wit the aammo motors ar running upwards of 1000 to 1100 watts or more in a one case, so dont take the 675 watts limit for the box as an absolute, and no one has reported boxes blowing.
I will be running 600 watts or so on 3s to start with, only because I am an advanced learner only with planes amd I want a " slow" setup to start with, then I will go more prop and 4s within a few weeks, if the box gives up soon I will spend 100 dollars on a bit stronger box, if it gives me a fair run, probably just spend another 40 dollars and put in the same again.
My understanding of the benefits of this set up is less weight, and the fact the inrunner is more efficient, but less torque, so running a reduction with the higher kv allows a larger prop=better flight times. This is my first gear box setup as well, but to be honest from what I have read fere and elsewhere, this box treated falf decently is pretty good for the bucks,.
Neal.
PS, if I the motor and box arrive this week I hope to maiden on the weekend!! Whoo whoo!!
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:46 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
23,955 Posts
Get in amongst it, Neal

BJ

PS - how/where does the prop run if you're running a gearbox? There must be some sort of offset somewhere (unless the gearbox output shaft is inline with the motor input shaft (??).
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Thanks BJ,
The output shaft is inline with the motor output shaft, the gearbox is a planatary construction.
I have not ordered any batts yet, so I am going to try my 2200 3s, going to order a couple of 2200 4s turnigy A spec.
And I am going to set up spoilerons, can anyone give me approximate throws and elevayor mix, and just in case they are useing a 9c, percentages be even better.
Neal.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:01 AM
Joined Jun 2009
23,955 Posts
Ahhh... planetary action...

I think the pics of 'gearboxes' I've seen so far have the two shafts offset - so that had me thinking how on Earth you get the prop to sit centre without having to offset the motor etc.

BJ
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Hi Guys,
Google great planes gearbox, click images.
I am a little bit annoyed with my cheap ass servo tester, decided to use it to check neutral/ center, and it showed I had somehow fitted elevator servo arm off centre, so I disassembled horn etc,fixed, then today when I was doing the ailerons with actual Rx I found, after triple checking, that the servo tester "center" is not bloody center!! So after setting sub trim I have two mm more down throw than up, unless I disassemble again, which I don't want to do, that's what I have, I don't think it is going to be a prob, still have a good amount of throw, thoughts anyone
And if any one can help with spoileron set up, there's a big thank you in it for you!!
Neal
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Hi guys,
Have now done all I can till motor and box and speedy turn up, although I will set my radio up and look at spoileron settings,
I am going to order three batts, an A spec 2200 4s a std nano tech 2200 4s and a 3300 3s thoughts.
Neal
Last edited by neale; Nov 20, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Jun 2009
23,955 Posts
I'll post up my settings when I get home and can get to my Tx (can't remember the exact rates).

I'd fiddled with a few combo's before, and they didn't really work all that well.

So I went rather agressive - tested them 3 crashes high, and my current setup seems to work nicely.

Figures laterz.

BJ
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
I much like testing 3 to 4 crashes high!
Neal
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Jun 2009
23,955 Posts
Ok...here's the Spoileron mixing rates I'm running on my JR DSX9:

Flap Switch Pos Up - Ale 0% Ele 0% (normal flying)
Flap Switch Pos Middle - Ale 20% up Ele 4% down
Flap Switch Pos Down - Ale 80% up Ele 20% down

I don't tend to actually use the middle position on the flap switch, just the fully down pozzie for 80/20 and it seems to land nicely.

Remember, this is on a JR - YMMV

Oh, and I also run a 1/2 second delay deployment of the Spoilerons (both ailerons go up, as opposed to 'flapperons' where both ailerons go down, and the elevator goes down to compensate for the nose lifting when the ailerons go up).

BJ
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:44 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,339 Posts
Finally!!!! I got to fly the new modded Siren this afternoon for a flight. MVVS 4.6/1120 with a 12x6.5, 2250 maH 60C 4S cranking 690 watts,recovered wing with ply/CF laminated dihedral joiners,new firewall,spoilerons, the whole bit. I like it,I know she's not the fastest Siren out there but it will do nicely. Flew straight off the board, no trim in any direction with CG set at 75mm from leading edge,landed like a sailplane. She's a keeper now.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:29 PM
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Good going Leadchucker, hope miine flies half as well, its not all about power, it is no good if it dont fly to well, nothing worse than trying to fly around a problem, takes all the fun out of it, post a pic.
Neal
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,398 Posts
You guys still might talk me into a warmliner/hotliner. And? I have an observation.

neale mentioned planes with "problems" and there's a weird attraction there; though I'm not applying it to the Siren. Still, some of the most enjoyable flying of my life has been with planes that had some weird quirks or issues. I have learned a lot from planes that don't handle like other planes.

My second glider, back around 1970, was called the Snipe and it didn't really fly. Regardless of CG it would go into a nearly unrecoverable spin the second one got too slow and added rudder input. Then came the long journey down to the beach. By the time I gave up on it I had added 1/4" of washout and nearly a pound of lead in the nose and even the best pilots couldn't make it fly well. But? I learned how to land a couple-hundred feet down the cliff.

Another real adventure was, though not a glider, a Great Planes Super Decathlon. When set up for the best stunting, and it stunted very well, it had vicious stall characteristics and demanded the highest level of attention during every second of flight. Since that plane I have never been afraid of stalls and I wonder if I could have flown the Snipe after that experience.

Sometimes we learn to love planes because there is so much "wrong" with them.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Jun 2009
23,955 Posts
I've had similar thoughts myself, Pete.

While any tool should be able to fly a good plane well, it takes a special tool (and a very persistent one at that) to fly a crap-box brick

BJ
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,398 Posts
It all depends on your outlook, BJ. One man's "crap box" is another's learning experience. Of course, it was a bit harder to give up on a "crap box" when a plane was a couple-month's wages and half a year of building. The availability of inexpensive ARFs is a godsend but I wonder how many people miss out on great experience because airframes are, more or less, expendable.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Jul 2008
535 Posts
Agree with the above, I have learnt in life, that you learn more from a problem than from plain sailing. Geas with planes helis too, And the experience of all the probs, gives you the knowledge of how to deal with what gets thrown at you. However,, its nice to take out a good sweet flying craft, and enjoy!!!
And with that I have just charged a pack, and I am going flying before the storms get here!!
Neal