Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 06, 2007, 03:08 AM
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
I spoke to a nice guy at Modelflight.com.au and we managed to get the motor into programming mode, but still can not get the motor to run. I intially had the setup with the drive battery and flight battery hooked up but apparently the esc does not like this. So I disconnected the flight battery, but still nothing. I am contemplating sending the engine/esc back to the distributor....tower hobbies as it seems the esc/jumper are faulty
Cockar is offline Find More Posts by Cockar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2007, 06:13 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Are you *sure* you're plugged in to the right channel on your receiver? The three tones indicate that the ESC is now armed..
Plug a servo into that channel (and a Rx battery into a different channel) and ensure it moves with your throttle stick. Also check the throttle endpoints on your transmitter, but I don't think that's it as the ESC shouldn't arm unless the throttle is at idle.

This is really a question for the power systems forum.
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 06, 2007, 07:09 AM
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Have definitely got the right channel on the Rx. Managed to get thel esc programmed but then there was nothing from the motor. Tried to do the procedure again to elimate the esc at the problem but can't get the esc to program now.

Conclusion.....defective esc??
Old Jun 06, 2007, 08:27 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,069 Posts
Is your throttle trim all the way down? If not, this can cause some ESCs to never arm as they're not seeing a low enough signal.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2007, 07:04 PM
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Yep tried that. Have also set the ATV to their extents.....
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:02 PM
south wales
Joined Jun 2004
278 Posts
Hi all have been quite intrested in this model for a while now, have a small question which may seem completely stupid but if you don`t ask you`ll never know........................

Have looked at this model in my local model shop and have the electrics out of a het edf jet rated at about 700 watts. ( het 2w 20 motor c/c 60 esc and a 3700 14.8 pack ) Now i understand this will probably push the model well over its recommended level. The pack is 32mm/ 48mm/ 155mm approx so would envolve some cutting of the tray to fit.

First question is would this fit and if anyone has tried,
Secondly would it withstand this output
If not is there a budget model anyone could recommend that would????

Many thanks

matt
beancapooer is offline Find More Posts by beancapooer
Old Aug 05, 2007, 06:24 PM
Joined Aug 2007
2 Posts
New Siren Flyer

I just flew my first two flights on the Siren today. Great plane and a blast to fly. I still can't get a few things straight. This is my first electric plane of any kind. So bear with me.

1. Should I use flaperons or spoilerons. I am trying to slow the plane down and shortent the total distance required to land.
2. If I use either of these capabilities (I think spoilerons is what I need) how much should I use. The total aileron throw is now about 1/2 inch on high rates. So how much throw should the spoileron have? I was thinking about 1/2 the throw of the aileron ie. 1/4 inch. I did not use low rates at all.
3. What effect will spoilerons have on the landing? What effect would flaperons have on the landing?

Help! If make one little mistake, I will overshoot the runway. There is nothing good at the end of this runway.

Also......

The plane has a tendency to "snap" or tip stall in a slow turn. You have to be very careful. Should I set differential in the ailerons? If so, do I give it more throw on the UP or more throw on the DOWN travel of the ailerons?

Someone at the field suggested more UP on the down wing, but I need some advice.

Thanks and sorry for the long questions. For a maiden flight, everything went great!!!! What a cool plane.
RCGARY is offline Find More Posts by RCGARY
Old Aug 05, 2007, 07:53 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Real quick:

1. Spoilerons
2. As much throw UP as you can get, ie 45 degrees or greater.
3. Spoilerons will kill lift and cause the plane to drop faster. To slow it up, nose the plane up.

This is a hotliner and should be flown fast until you land. And on landing yo will need to keep the speed up, so the plane will not tip stall. ie, don't fly the plane slow.

On aileron differential (I don't think this plane needs it) you have more up and less down. ie, if your left aileron is up 100% the right aileron should be down 50% of the left aileron. But again, I don't think this ship needs differential...

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Aug 05, 2007, 10:08 PM
Joined Aug 2007
2 Posts
BIG help. Thanks very much. I really did not understand what these planes did UNTIL TODAY!!! You are exactly right. When I tried to land "slowly" It didn't like it at all. So I guess the trick on landing is to get the plane down low ASAP, keep the speed up (in my language "fly it in") and kill the lift.

I think the tendency to "tip stall" while flying was due to trying to fly it too slow. So I get it. FLY FAST! That shouldn't be too tough with the motor I have in this thing.

Thanks. As I said, coming from the glow/gas world, this is Big Time FUN!
RCGARY is offline Find More Posts by RCGARY
Old Oct 11, 2007, 12:04 AM
AMA - 734492
United States, MT, Butte
Joined Mar 2007
2,104 Posts
Anyone try to make the Siren a slope glider? Or is that just a dumb idea? Cause thats what I did. There's a story that goes along with this. I received this plane after a member of my club tried to bolt on a glow engine. Yes, I said they bolted on a glow engine and attempted to fly it. Needless to say, it didn't go well. So, he is frustrated and gives it to me saying, "Maybe you electric guys can make it fly." Well, the nose was shot... it was all cut up and epoxied, with lead chunks in it. So..... I sawed it square, added some lead shot for balance, put a balsa block in the HUGE hole, and sanded it smooth. Covered it with Ultracote and made it a sloper. Don't know if it'll work but I am going to try. Don't see why not, they can make jets glide off cliffs, and I don't have a lack of mountains here in Butte, MT.
EricClark is offline Find More Posts by EricClark
Old Oct 11, 2007, 04:25 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,686 Posts
Arbo used his as a sloper. If I remember correctly he enjoyed it this way.
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Oct 20, 2007, 08:43 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
It would fly fine, and ballasted up it would probably be great, just be aware that the carbon fuselage is not ideal for the average slope landing zone..
..a
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:00 AM
Joined Jul 2007
78 Posts
love the thread guys. I am wanting to get into gliders as well. I had a Hobbico Upstar, but quickly got bored with it (no power in wind). I fly several glow warbirds, but enjoy the ease of electric so I am slowly selling all the glow's and going to electric. I really like the siren and have read the entire chat, but my question is on the motors and gearboxes. The recommended set up is with the Kontronik system, but at $330.00 it is a bit steep. I own a CC 80A ESC and a Dualsky 2200 11.1V Lipo. I have seen people running Axi motors, but would like to know what is the best set up for this glider. If it is the Kontronik set up I will go ahead and purchase it (wife won't be to happy). Just looking for a setup that will allow the plane to go vertical without falling out after 60-100 feet. I know nothing of gear drives or motors so I will take all the help I can get. Thanks
puerto rico is offline Find More Posts by puerto rico
Old Oct 31, 2007, 08:44 AM
ROV Pilot
Norway
Joined May 2002
469 Posts
Jusy ordered a Siren from Tower..
Have read some threads about it and have some quick questions:
Will the FP evo 30 3S3200 pack fit?
Will Hs 85bb servos fit in the tail and wing? Or should I go for Hs65's
Thinking about using a Axi 2826/10 with a CFK 13 x 7" prop, will this give vertical performance?
Best starting point for CG?
jijohans is offline Find More Posts by jijohans
Old Oct 31, 2007, 09:20 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What are the dimensions of the pack?

The 85's should fit in the wing although they may interfere with the covers. I am pretty sure it won't fit in the tail. Why not wait and see, however?

Can't speak for performance of the Axi..
..a