SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:33 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,190 Posts
Answer - nup.

It flew just fine. Old CG was at 85mm - with the extra weight of HET 600-43 up in the nose, it came it at 75mm and flew nicely.

Finally got some spoileron/up elevator dialled in for braking, and it seemed to do the job fine

Here's a short vid, Neal. Can't really see much of PP, as I'm looking at the sky most of the time LoL.

We had to fly from the 'Soccer Pitch' area, as there was a game of cricket on over at the main oval.

Siren running HET 600-43 (3 min 57 sec)

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:17 PM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
593 Posts
Thanks BJ,
That vid certainly catches the sound of that bird really well,thanks, certainly seems to fly bloody well.
I am about to go and fly in a few min, just waiting for a couple of packs to finish charging, finished off the new laundry reno, wife has gone to work, I dont go till 12.30, rain stopped, wind not bad, new camera fitted, yep time to go fly!!
Neal
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,190 Posts
Sounds like a plan

Whatchya flyin?

BJ
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Jul 2008
593 Posts
Dont laugh, A clouds fly!
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Jul 2008
593 Posts
A slightly more powerful version, and a couple of other mods, will climb vertical on good batts, It would be my most flown plane as It is not a big investment! and fits in car, hand launch from side of road, fly almost anywhere. Tough as nails, been into fence-road sign-tree, plural ! I lost my first one for three months, and then got it back, hung in a tree for that time! So I have two, great little planes,good to learn on and fly the ring out. I fly nito at my club and one of my big electrics, helis at home field and park.
Just dropped the video from the cam I bought, surprised how good it is for the cost and pixel count, but I am definitely looking for a better one later on, quite interesting to see the neighbourhood
Neal
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:44 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Dont laugh, A clouds fly!
Nothin wrong with a Clouds Fly

Enjoy today

BJ
Old Nov 11, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jul 2008
593 Posts
Thanks BJ,
Yep I will have a good day, if nobody screws it up!!
Any way couple of hours left before work, and I went and had a good flight this morning, try to get a plane or a heli up three or four times a week.
Good day yourself BJ.
Neal
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:26 PM
Clifton, VA
Joined Mar 2003
86 Posts
Siren Ė assembly complete; 7 flights as of 11/12/12

Hello, Iíve been following this thread and using the various suggestions plus adding my own tweaks to my Siren since late October 12. I purchased this kit on 10/21/12, NIB, @ my local club auction. It cost me $55 (airframe only). I bought the ammo inrunner and gear box and used the Castle 75 A lite ESC. I CDíd a few F5B/F3A contests back in 2004/2005 here in northern VA for NVRC but never owned a hotliner. I was interested but more in electric helicopters and went that direction and still enjoy them (currently flying an Align A550e FBL with the Ace GT5, 3 axis gyro). I mounted my HS56 aileron servos using double sided 3M tape to the plastic servo covers. It works well and I have successfully used this method in nitro fueled aircraft. I used the same HS56 servo for the elevator because you can bolt it in place (2x56 screws with lock nuts).
The data logger in the CC 75A esc is showing 1,093 watts peak (71A) using a Falcon CF 12x8 on a Skylipo 4S 40C 3300mah pack. It just fits in the fuse (with the battery tray cross members cut out) on itís side between the ply rails. The pictures show what I did in assembling the Siren. On the maiden and second flights I heard a weird fluttering sound. Control surfaces? Nope, wasnít flying that fast. You could hear the noise at low speed. It was the red trim stripe on the left wing. The clear top layer was peeling back leaving the red color on the wing. See photo. I put some clear scotch tape on it and flew it a couple more times. On the third flight the 2 motor screws were backing out. I used blue lock-tite and flew again. The first flight landing was not that pretty because 3/8Ē spoileron is not enough. Iím using twice that now and the landings are much easier.
The sound of a 5-10 second full power climb or horizontal pass is incredible with the ammo/gearbox combination on 4S. I tried to use 2, 3S 2200mah packs in parallel (end to end) in the fuse. It fits but the CG moves way back and w/o additional nose weight remains tail heavy. I like the 4S better anyway (more power!). With the 4S 3300mah the CG came out right @ 70mm (no extra ballast needed). I still fly on 6 Meters, channel 01 (50.820MHz), occasionally. The 7 channel receiver fits under top exhaust vent behind the wing without the plastic case (it does have shrink wrap on it).
I left the original motor mount in and used it. However, I plan to build a new one similar to Timís because it needs to be recessed to accommodate the MPI turbo 40mm spinner. The motor screws stick out too far and you cannot flush mount the spinner because of them. This spinner has no ďskirtĒ below the yoke to clear the bolt heads.
Happy Flying!
Pat
N2UMK is offline Find More Posts by N2UMK
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:09 PM
Joined Jul 2008
593 Posts
G'day Pat,
Nice build, good to see some pics of the beatt area, with some cutting of the trat, did you reinforce fuse at all?
Nice to see what can fit, and works, I am still looking at batts at the moment.
Nice going, I take it the double sided tape holds for a while, no nitro etc?
Neal
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:19 PM
Clifton, VA
Joined Mar 2003
86 Posts
Hi Neal - did not reinforce fuse at all; just cut the wood cross members out and sanded a bit. I did not have to widen the opening either - it's stock.
I used 2 pieces of 3M mounting tape #110; 1/2"; called "heavy duty" on the servos. It works very well. You will like it with 4S!
Pat
N2UMK is offline Find More Posts by N2UMK
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Jul 2008
593 Posts
Hi Pat,
I Am deffinatly setting up for fours, the speed controller I am planning has no bec, and I was just up the shed testing a bec and switch gear I have, and was just about to look up the volts specs for the Rx I am going to use.
Neal
Hi guys, I am looking to put the following in siren, fr sky v8fr, old version, (I love these frsky units, this one twin antennas,) high input switch regulator 5 or 6 volts selectable, reciever will take 6V,( will check servo's I get,) and with a switch to isolate regulator from battery, anyone see any probs yet!
Neal
Last edited by neale; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:32 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Warms my heart to see all these Siren's getting in the air!
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Jul 2008
593 Posts
Warms mine to see my own getting together!!
When I order servos at weekend, then I will start to put together, I hope $11.00 servos from H/K do the job, metal gear.
As you say, a few getting built at the moment, for a design thats been around for a fair while, its interesting to see them still going strong, manafacturing and following, Mine came with a F/G firewall so I take it the manafacturer takes note.
Neal
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:52 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
... anyone see any probs yet!
Neal
Just make sure that you keep the external BEC away from the Rx - particularly if it's an SBEC (switching BEC as opposed to an analogue one).

They apparently put out a fair bit of RF noise, and have been responsible for more than one plane going off-line and dirt-napping where I fly...

BJ
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:22 AM
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Mar 2006
739 Posts
I had a Siren when they first came out. I am pleased to see them enjoying such a following for such a long time. Yes, there are better planes out there but for the money they just can not be beat. On windy days when you don't or should I say say know better to not fly your lighter more expensive ships.. they fill the bill and are fun to fly. The RG15 is a great airfoil and the penetration is really good. The Siren will thermal, I have had the pleasure of specking it out on a medium strength thermal. There are much better choices if thermaling is your main interest. The Siren is a very good warmliner and a great choice for windy conditions. I am actually finding myself wanting to buy another Siren for windy day flying. It was windy here today and I realized I don't have a good windy day ship. I really don't think there is a better choice when budget is a factor.

Does anyone know if there has been any changes since the first ones came out in 2004?
sdstick is offline Find More Posts by sdstick