HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
883 Posts
Blizzard guts

I have a Multiplex blizzard with Scorpion 3014-16 motor and 55A ESC. The airframe is mushed up that needs replacement. But this Blizzard was boring - neither flies fast nor thermals well. I wonder if Siren would accept its guts (would this motor fit in the nose?) and be more versatile.
Thoughts ?

Sergey.
SergeyK is offline Find More Posts by SergeyK
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:08 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
Hmmm... hard to say, Serge.

A 35 or 36mm diam motor is already getting a bit tight, so a 38mm Scorpion might be just a bit too fat. It's not so much the diameter of the motor, but if you can get the wires past the motor can cleanly or not. You certainly don't want the motor can to be rubbing on them - or it'll be a short flight and probably end up letting the magic smoke out (rule #1 - Don't let the smoke come out LoL).

Best way is to suck it and see, but 38mm might be stretching the friendship.

I'm looking at replacing my AeroDrive with a Turnigy, and I'm facing the same challenge - can I get it to fit and have enough clearance for the wires.

Worst case scenario, you could always run the wires on the outside of the fuze. A but ugly, but.

You might be able to try mounting it with the mount holes/wires facing the tail, but your firewall would have to be an extra 35mm or so back into the fuse, and the prop would be hanging off the motor can.

I'm really starting to lean towards saving up and buying myself an early Christmas present - and MVVS Redliner.

Also, I notice your the kV on the Scorpion is 1187 (1200). That's kinda getting up there if you were thinking of running a big-arse prop. The 900's should swing a 14x6 to 14x9 ok, but 1200 may be a bit quick for the bigger blades. You might have to come down into the 10-12" x 6 range (?)

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
883 Posts
I run 9x7 prop on the Blizzard and was satisfied with vertical performance. I'm just trying to find something to replace that Blizzard with. I don't think getting another Blizzard airframe is a good idea. What I found is that most of the time I was hunting for thermals, but it needed a really strong one to be noticeable. And I did enjoy occasional dives and fast passes.
SergeyK is offline Find More Posts by SergeyK
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
You'll find the Siren is quite a bigger Bird compared to a Blizzard.

The 2m wing/980mm T-Tail fuze v's the Blizzard 1380/910 V-Tail gives it quite a presence in the sky - and with the right drive-train, it will speck-out bloody fast

If you set it up right, I think you'll be pretty impressed with a Siren.

IMHO, I think you're better off going for a strong 900-odd kV motor swinging a bigger prop - let the big legs get you up there. Quick

BJ
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:19 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
Neal - that Geronimo looks like a nice piece of kit.

Not sure what LiPo's it'll take - given that its short nose design (I'm guessing the batteries go back up into the wing cavity from the servo tray), though they do recommend a 4S 2200mAh. And it's spec'ed to take a 36mm outrunner, so there should be plenty of room in the nose.

But for now, I'm sticking with my Siren.

BJ
Old Nov 06, 2012, 07:51 AM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
588 Posts
Hi guy's,
BJ. Funny enough have not recieved my Siren, and am looking at other planes!!
No offence to H/K, Ibuy a lot of stuff there, but I think the quality/ finish of the siren may be a tad better, and was looking at it as a next plane to treat as a test plane for more power!! a bit of a hack almost.
But that could be a year down the track, just put it in the post as it caught my eye, while shopping for plugs!!
Neal
neale is online now Find More Posts by neale
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Jul 2008
588 Posts
Hi Guys,
my plane turhed up my plane turned up my plane turned up!!
PS I just found out I did something wrong when I ordered the G/B and motor, so I have just re-ordered, no biggie, still have to order a esc and servos yet!
Had a quick look over the plane, looks like they have got rid of the ply firewall, looks like F/G to me
Neal
Last edited by neale; Nov 06, 2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Jul 2008
588 Posts
Hi guy's.
I have had a good look over the siren today,did a quick put together of wings to fuse. Nice looking plane in the flesh, impressive size to it, I can see why they cut thru the air, that fuse is a dart!
Certainly changed my mind about how I thought I would set it up.I am going to definatly need a bit of feeedback for this, I am thinking of useing a AR 7000 with satalite, I have spare, I am thinking of cutting an access point in top of fuse just behind wing and place Rx so that "one" of the wiskers poke out thru top of fuse, and place satalite on top of fuse with wisker pointing to the sides. I am useing a bec, that I think I will place under batt tray, also contemplating a switch fitted into side of fuse, as I may need it for other electronics later.
Thoughts on this guys?
Neal
Old Nov 08, 2012, 04:02 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Hi guy's.
I have had a good look over the siren today,did a quick put together of wings to fuse. Nice looking plane in the flesh, impressive size to it, I can see why they cut thru the air, that fuse is a dart!
Certainly changed my mind about how I thought I would set it up.I am going to definatly need a bit of feeedback for this, I am thinking of useing a AR 7000 with satalite, I have spare, I am thinking of cutting an access point in top of fuse just behind wing and place Rx so that "one" of the wiskers poke out thru top of fuse, and place satalite on top of fuse with wisker pointing to the sides. I am useing a bec, that I think I will place under batt tray, also contemplating a switch fitted into side of fuse, as I may need it for other electronics later.
Thoughts on this guys?
Neal
Pretty straight forward... I found that the RX in the rear of the main bay worked well, I drilled a set of small holes (one on top center between the vent hole and main wing screw, the other on the side... After i got the whiskers through, I covered them in heat shrink, so they wouldn't slip back inside... The satellite is cool, but not necessary IMHO, never, ever had an issue...
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
588 Posts
Thanks Demon 6, sounds like the Rx set-up OK, going to use the satalite as Its there, and I might as well use it! Nice looking plane in the flesh.
Neal
Old Nov 08, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
Glad you're impressed with the Siren, Neal.

It's got a bit of 'presence', huh?

Smart looking Bird, with a fantastic sound as it rips through the air. I just love the sound of it coming out of a steep dive and levelling-out low on a motor-off fast pass

BJ
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Jul 2008
588 Posts
g'day BJ,
Yes it is a very smart looking plane, I was surprised how slim it is , not a prob, but its a dart!
I will take note of heatshrink on whiskers, as for satalite, as I said its there! plus I have never ever had a prob on my helis with spectrum, I am still sus, about it on a plane, not sure if I had a drop out or not once, either that or it was a big gust, I use to like that plane. I checked and it is definatly a f/g firewall and it seems well epoxied in, any way I hope to make a start on it this weekend, though most will wait till the new year, as we have a big chrissy comming up. And family from melbourne staying for 3 weeks!
Neal
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:34 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,887 Posts
I just found a HET Typhoon 600-43 in amongst my box of 'junk'.

Hmmm...

1000kV... 80A... 1400W..

Nah - it'd never work.

Or would it... *rubs chin*...

BJ
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
I just found a HET Typhoon 600-43 in amongst my box of 'junk'.

Hmmm...

1000kV... 80A... 1400W..

Nah - it'd never work.

Or would it... *rubs chin*...

BJ
Go for it!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
I just finished up on a little project and have posted it on my blog if anyone would care to check it out...