HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:25 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Anyone have an accurate way to set up thrust angle on the Firewall (3mm Down/Right)?
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:30 PM
United States, FL, Hallandale Beach
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Dwight, you can come over and we can measure it on my Siren.There must be a way to measure it.
btpalc is offline Find More Posts by btpalc
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Does the nose of the fuse (carbon) have the angle cut into it? I forget...If not... them I am going to make a shim that has the angle ground into it. I'll remove the old firewall, clean up the opening, and use my shim to set the angles while the epoxy sets...
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:09 PM
Australia, QLD, Beaudesert
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Hi again guys,
I have just ordered the Siren today.
I have decided to go with the same setup as KRProton originally used, not his new setup.
Ordered the Ammo 28-45-3600, GP gearbox, Aeronaut 40mm hub and spinner.
and a 13x7 and 13x8 aeronaut cam carbon, as I would like to start out with 3s.
And I have one quesstioon at the moment, what 3s are a good fit for the siren?
I am looking around for some carbon mat, to reinforce F/W and some board to make a new F/W
neale is offline Find More Posts by neale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:53 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon 6 View Post
Ahhh jez, oui, oui... LE neeked Siren au'jus.... Manifique!
The "with juice" has me a bit worrried

LoL

Re the offset, I just bunged my firewall in and gave it a healthy amount of right-thrust (quite noticeable), with a tad of down-prop (just noticeable) and it flys ok.

No idea of how many mm in each direction it reperesents.

Neale - mine flies great on NanoTech 45-90C 2200mAh 4S, and I did run it for a few flights on NanoTech 45-90C 2200mAh 3S. - the constant 45C discharge allows you to run up to 99 ampsn with bursts up to 199A, which should be well within your specs.

I believe the latest NanoTechs may have an even higher discharge rating (??)

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Last edited by BJ64; Oct 25, 2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Thanks for that BJ64
I have some of the above 3s already, so all good!
I have posted in another section, about motor setup, ive ordered the box and motor hub and spinner, then realized I dont know how the motr and box are connected, and what I need, and also what if any adaptors to fit hub and prop to gearbox output shaft!!
Ps BJ54, only just noticed your down Melbourne way,
Used to live out ferntreegully area
Neal
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:56 PM
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
Just a stones-throw from where I am - Rowville

BJ
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neale View Post
Thanks for that BJ64
I have some of the above 3s already, so all good!
I have posted in another section, about motor setup, ive ordered the box and motor hub and spinner, then realized I dont know how the motr and box are connected, and what I need, and also what if any adaptors to fit hub and prop to gearbox output shaft!!
Ps BJ54, only just noticed your down Melbourne way,
Used to live out ferntreegully area
Neal

The firewall may need to be replaced with one with an appropriate bolt pattern... Not a big job by any measure...
KR showed some pics either on his blog or some pages back (can't remember)... I have the same setup lined up for my final Siren EVO build... focusing on Light weight and 4S power... These planes are a blast!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Jun 2009
25,389 Posts
True dat

BJ
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:21 AM
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Hi guys.
I was tossing up between the Siren or a Mistyque,
The type of flying that I like is just where the Siren will do me fine, though I am going to buy the Mistyque in the new year, as a glider is something I would like to get into, but the fact that the Siren is a quicker plane, leaning towards hotliner has totally grabbed me, so it should be great fun to fly. It is going to be a steep learning curve for me, a step up in speed from what I am use to!
And Demon 6, I have had a limited but informative look thru the thread, nowhere as much as I will over the weekend, but I will be removing the firewall and making either a glass or carbon fibre one for it, probably carbon fibre one, as I need to go and pick up some carbon mat to put in around the firewall.part of the fuse and around the wing saddle.
When I see what it first hand I will do some work on the wing joiners, but I dont think I will do anything to the wings themselves.
And I will be going pretty easy on the plane anyway.
I think my next consideration is what freq/type I am going to use with having carbon fibre to consider.
Yey BJ. Igrew up in bayswater, Mt evelyn, and use to hang out in scoresby so much, good times. I bet it has chamged heaps since then!!
PS> Whats the concences on servos?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:48 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys.
I was tossing up between the Siren or a Mistyque,
The type of flying that I like is just where the Siren will do me fine, though I am going to buy the Mistyque in the new year, as a glider is something I would like to get into, but the fact that the Siren is a quicker plane, leaning towards hotliner has totally grabbed me, so it should be great fun to fly. It is going to be a steep learning curve for me, a step up in speed from what I am use to!
And Demon 6, I have had a limited but informative look thru the thread, nowhere as much as I will over the weekend, but I will be removing the firewall and making either a glass or carbon fibre one for it, probably carbon fibre one, as I need to go and pick up some carbon mat to put in around the firewall.part of the fuse and around the wing saddle.
When I see what it first hand I will do some work on the wing joiners, but I dont think I will do anything to the wings themselves.
And I will be going pretty easy on the plane anyway.
I think my next consideration is what freq/type I am going to use with having carbon fibre to consider.
Yey BJ. Igrew up in bayswater, Mt evelyn, and use to hang out in scoresby so much, good times. I bet it has chamged heaps since then!!
PS> Whats the concences on servos?
I've had a lot of success with the HS65's all the way around... As far as spars go, I filled end the factory "sockets" with a piece of hardwood, then drilled them to accept a round carbon tube (the bigger the better)... If you slightly oversize the hole, the additional amount of "float" you gain will help you align the wing set perfectly when assembling. My spars are the same overall length as the factory parts btw...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:25 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,894 Posts
Here's a firewall template for the Siren.

Cut approximately 1/8" around the template, then use 3M spray adhesive (or similar) to adhere it to the material you will be cutting the firewall from. Cut the O.D. slightly oversize, then sand/trim to fit with perfection.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Hi guy's.
Thanks for that Tim.
I sent a copy to my wifes work, and she will print the template off for me.
The template will make it a lot easier to make! Iknow from experiance.
It also now allows me to make a start while I wait for the mailman!
Will find where I can get the catbon mat, as I am thinking of a tad of strengthening in a couplof spots.
I am thinking of useing PC board, not sure yet, will see what I can get hold of.
I follow your explanation for the wing joiners, that will not be a prob.
Because I am spending over budget on the "hobby" at the moment "apparently"
this build is going to take a couple of months to complete.
I will pot again when the box arrives and I have made a start.
Neal
PS Demon 6 The servos, you mean hitcc HS 65 The micro servo, so to speak?
Last edited by neale; Oct 26, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:52 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Hi guy's.
Thanks for that Tim.
I sent a copy to my wifes work, and she will print the template off for me.
The template will make it a lot easier to make! Iknow from experiance.
It also now allows me to make a start while I wait for the mailman!
Will find where I can get the catbon mat, as I am thinking of a tad of strengthening in a couplof spots.
I am thinking of useing PC board, not sure yet, will see what I can get hold of.
I follow your explanation for the wing joiners, that will not be a prob.
Because I am spending over budget on the "hobby" at the moment "apparently"
this build is going to take a couple of months to complete.
I will pot again when the box arrives and I have made a start.
Neal
PS Demon 6 The servos, you mean hitcc HS 65 The micro servo, so to speak?
Those are the ones (Mini Mites)
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:41 AM
Joined Jul 2008
594 Posts
Ahh Ha,
Thanks Demon 6. Put them on the list, I will see if hobbyking has them back in stock over the next week or two, and then buy elsewhere!
Now I will enjoy myself for an hour or two, and look at ESC's Going to be useing a stand alone BEC so I will look for a cheap ESC.
Neal.