HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2007, 08:29 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
I just tied the string to the end of the servo lead/extension and pulled it through. I used some tape to hold the string and connector in-line to help keep it from getting caught up in the ribs. Keep mild tension on the string as you pull threw and take your time 'wiggling' it in.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2007, 06:22 PM
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Thx Vantasstic, I will give it another shot wiht some different tape I think.

BTW did you use shrink wrap on the servo lead connectors. I am thinking it would be a real hassle if they came off whilst pulling the leads through the spars.
Cockar is offline Find More Posts by Cockar
Old Apr 11, 2007, 07:54 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Actually I soldered on an extended servo lead...no way to come loose like that. However, when I do use connectors I secure them together with heat shrink, not electrical tape. Heat shrink holds well, doesn't break down, and when cut away, leaves no residue. Tape, on the other hand, can come unstuck...especially in warm/hot weather, and leave a gooy, sticky residue to deal with when your remove it. I vote for heat shrink every time!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2007, 08:04 PM
EMFSO, CRS, MAAC
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Oct 1999
363 Posts
I cut and splice soldered a length of servo wire so I ended up with servos with really long wires. There is no concern of them ever pulling loose. It is a pain to cut and solder but if you are patient, it is worth the effort.

I got the thicker gauge wire from Aircarft World.

Threading the wire thru is no sweat as long as you don't yank em hard.
Peter Mar is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mar
Old Apr 13, 2007, 09:57 AM
Ouch...
Simpsonville, SC
Joined Aug 2005
141 Posts
I had a setup question and a quick search came up a little short. I have a setup out of an Omega and was curious if it would work in the Siren.

Mega 16/15/4 w/ 4.4:1
15x9.5 folder
10cell GP1100's

I have ESC's to try and not worried about servos (would use HS81MG in the wings and HS65's for the tail).

I didnt know if that power system would be enough to really fly the Siren or if it would CG with that setup. My only other battery option would be 3s2000 packs which I read might not balance. I know it probably wont be a powerhouse, but this would also be my first try at a warmliner. Would it be boring to fly on this setup?
frvrngn is offline Find More Posts by frvrngn
Old Apr 13, 2007, 07:38 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
It should fly it fine at a 'warmliner' type pace. A fellow flier used a MPX 480-4 turn on a similar setup. It didn't climb like my Axi powered system and was more 'lazy like'...not bad mind you, just slower than mine was.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2007, 07:48 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic
It should fly it fine at a 'warmliner' type pace. A fellow flier used a MPX 480-4 turn on a similar setup. It didn't climb like my Axi powered system and was more 'lazy like'...not bad mind you, just slower than mine was.
What prop was he using?
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Apr 14, 2007, 12:33 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Oh sure...ask me a techy question. I'm not really sure. I know it was an APC folder. It was nowhere near the length of my 14x9.5...so I'm going to guess perhaps in the 10" or 11" diameter range. Perhaps a little to small??? I do know he was impressed with the climb of my Siren (RIP) with the Axi 2826-10 and 14x9.5 folder. After a few flights with his setup he hung it up at the LHS to sell...his just didn't have the umph that he was looking for and he didn't (evidently) want to remotor it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2007, 01:02 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Oh sure...ask me a techy question. I'm not really sure. I know it was an APC folder. It was nowhere near the length of my 14x9.5...so I'm going to guess perhaps in the 10" or 11" diameter range. Perhaps a little to small??? I do know he was impressed with the climb of my Siren (RIP) with the Axi 2826-10 and 14x9.5 folder. After a few flights with his setup he hung it up at the LHS to sell...his just didn't have the umph that he was looking for and he didn't (evidently) want to remotor it.
He is crazy. That motor should give him pretty good climb. He needs a better prop and or batteries. When it comes to power out of a system, its batteries then props, then motor/esc.

My friend bought a manta. The guy who sold it, said it was a gentle flier. I knew the motor and knew it was down on power. First thing we did was swap the prop, still little improvement. Then we swapped batteries, 2-3 times the power, and we were getting the power we expected. If he liked everything else about the plane, then he is leaving power on the ground.
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Apr 16, 2007, 09:35 PM
EMFSO, CRS, MAAC
Toronto, Ontario
Joined Oct 1999
363 Posts
Hey frvrngn

My Siren flies "underpowered" as well. I am using almost the same setup:

Mega 16/15/4 w/ 3.7:1 KPG gearbox
14x9.5 or 15x8 folder
10cell CBP1800's or 12 cell KAN950s

As far as I am concerned hotliner flying is what I do after I climb to 500'+. So as long as I can get there, I can then dive at the same velocity as everyone else (depending upon mass of course).

The climb is a bit more sedate at 45 degrees max and takes up to 15 seconds sometimes. But I find I have to travel upwind anyway. Climbing vertically is great if I only dive straight down and then back up. Since I like to fly across the flightline I climb up and out at the same time. Then I make the hi speed pass after pulling out of the dive.

You'll be hooked once you hear the whistle as it speeds past you...
Peter Mar is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mar
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:31 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3 Posts
Hay fellas, im all new to this so excuse. Quick question. im trading up from a 2 channel floatter to a newer electric glider. i'm stuck between the Omei 2000 and GP Siren. theres a great possibility that i will stack it so i was wondering what you boys would reckonmend. Buy a cheap China made for a first or take the punt with the siren????

look forward to some experienced replys

Thanks
birdmate79 is offline Find More Posts by birdmate79
Old Apr 19, 2007, 09:34 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
What does "stack it" mean?

The siren is an easy model to fly, can't comment on the Omei..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old May 24, 2007, 08:23 PM
Haraldur
Joined May 2007
1 Posts
Battery tray for Siren? - How to secure the battery?

Quote:
To keep my batteries from rubbing the back of the motor I was thinking of building a tray with an upright in front to act as a battery stopper. Maybe I could make the whole tray a slide in/out thing to hold the batteries vs sliding the batteries in and out of the tray.
Vantasstic!
Did you create the tray for the Siren?
I have the same problem you have. I have 3S 2100mA Thunder Power LiPo battery which I need to place as much forward as it gets to get the CG right.

The only problem its rubbing agains the motor and the wires running from it. I places a thin foam rubber on back of the battery so it would rub the motor.

I'm not sure how to secure the battery from falling out of its place. So I cut out some block of hard rubber which I placed in front of the battery. The block secure it self to the side wall of the plane.

How did you secure the battery? Do you have some pictures?
Haraldurs is offline Find More Posts by Haraldurs
Old May 24, 2007, 08:43 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,389 Posts
Oh dear...that was moons ago for me now and my Siren was deposited in the local garbage bin after an 72Mhz glitch/shoot-down...part of the reason I'm now a 2.4Ghz guy.

As I recall though, yes, I did build a tray to hold the battery. The front of the tray just slid down into the nose of the fuse and the rear of the tray was secured by two wood screws to the servo mount. I was using a 3200mAh 3S battery, so didn't have any problems getting the plane to balance without the tray hitting the back of the motor. The battery was secured with a little velcro up front, some in the back, and a velcro strap similar to what's shown at the beginning of this thread. Sorry for not remembering more precise details...it's been a while and my Siren only lived a handful of flights.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2007, 08:59 PM
Joined Feb 2007
43 Posts
Hi Guys, next problem, hope someone can help.

Kontronik 480 & Jazz 40-6-18

I finally got time to install the motor into the Siren, but upon connecting up the battery to give the motor a test run, all I got was 3 sounds in an ascending order and the esc constantly blinking. I thought it might have been an error in the transmitter programming so I reversed the throttle stick which didnt seem to do anything. So I removed the motor and esc from the glider to see if there was a problem with the wiring but all is ok. Now when I hook everything up (bat, esc, engine) there is nothing. Any thoughts before I ring Kontronik ?

Also I tried using the jumper both on the esc and w/out but still nothing.

2nd question, once I get the motor running does anyone bother to program the esc to the glider mode ? What is the advantage in doing this ?

Regards and Frustrated
Matt
Cockar is offline Find More Posts by Cockar
Last edited by Cockar; Jun 05, 2007 at 09:13 PM.