United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
*wolf-whistle*

Berry berry noice...

BJ
Thanks man... I'll try to get some vid on Sat.
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, FL, Hallandale Beach
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Hey Dwight I'll see you at Vista View. But I think I can not make till noon, My wife has to work in the morning I wish I could make it early to the first flyght.
btpalc is offline Find More Posts by btpalc
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:02 AM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btpalc View Post
Hey Dwight I'll see you at Vista View. But I think I can not make till noon, My wife has to work in the morning I wish I could make it early to the first flyght.
I'll be there around 8<9am. We'll play it by eat, I'd love to see two sirens in the air!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
I have a big big Smile in my face because I just came back from Flying my Siren and I'm getting more and more comfortable with the flight characteristics of this Bird
I will post Flight Data later on.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,769 Posts
Kewl

'Bout time I took mine up for another fly - today or tomorrow

I've gone back to the 14x9 Cam folder prop. Still can't fit the Emeter II RDU into the fuze to get real-time Amp draw while in flight - the unit fits, but the Deans-to-X80 converter leads take up too much space.

Might try to make a couple of plug-to-plug converters without wires to see if I can squeeze the RDU in there somehow - would like to see what the 14x9 pulls in real flight, as it draws a bit much when testing statically.

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:09 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Bernie, I was at Vista View today! The Siren flies great, but the extra heft of the additional servos/flaps really makes her a bit sluggish on climb outs
I'm going to get another main wing and just put a carbon spar in her... The Super wing project was cool, but lightness is more cooler!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
How is she in a dive? with all this extra weight I think it would be a lot faster, isn't she??
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:53 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,470 Posts
Still hacking away at my Siren rebuild/mod. Just a lack of shop time available more than anything. Bought a wing kit and it was absolutely horrible as though a 3 year old built it. The covering was worse, stripped it all down got it cleaned, lined up and recovered now waiting for servo install. Fueslage is all finished and modded for the 4S and 700 watt power plant. Maybe next week she'll get done.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,769 Posts
Tossed the Siren up today with the 14x9 AeroNaut back on.

Managed to shoe-horn the Emeter II RDU logger into the fuseto get some in-flight data logging - pulls about 5A less in the air than in static tests. A tad over 900W for 61A - which is a hundred or so W above the current motor spec.

Meh - it flew well and climbed-out nicely....

BJ
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:19 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,769 Posts
Well... the intrepid Siren is no more....

More correctly, the plane is - but the motor isn't.

Turns out 900W through 640W motor is just a teensy weensy bit too much. Who would have thought, huh?

At least she went off like the 4th of July - pulling vertical, full noise, and a couple of hundred feet up. Was a magnificent sight, too. Smoke traling like an F16 Thunderbird

You guys would have been proud of me LoL

Luckily only the motor went - the ESC stayed alive and I could dead-stick it back...

BJ
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:46 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,774 Posts
Niiiiiiiiiice!

Glad you got your Siren back and down in one piece. Musta made a mess inside the fuse.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,624 Posts
If you don't end up trailing flames? You've passed the "smoke test".
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:45 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Okay, got the 36-50-2300 Ammo inrunner hooked up for some bench testing. Used a Castle Creations Ice Lite 100 for logging. All props Aeronaut CAM folding.

Started with a 13 x 7 on 4S. Dummy me. It pulled SCARY hard, so I backed away from the fifteen feet I was already standing away! Anyway, didn’t even get to full throttle and the thing quit. Hmm. 2300kV. Direct drive. On a 13” prop…Okay, let’s try 3S…Same thing…quit before full-throttle. So I ramped up again, only this time slowly and “snuck up” on it. When I got to about ¾ throttle I stopped just to see if I could get a reading in the data logging.

I opened up the file and it was 128A, 1363W! Sheese! Didn’t even get to full throttle!

Okay, let’s try 2S…

I grabbed a 5000mAh Flight Power 2S 30C battery. This time I could at least run it full throttle! Got 128A, 864W, 8900rpm. Still too much for the motor (rated at 60A constant, 100A surge, 1110W constant), but at least we’re in the ballpark.

So I mounted up a 12 x 6…110A, 745W, 10,190rpm. Well, you could probably get away with that, but you’d really have to limit your full-throttle motor runs.

I’d LOVE to try a 13 x 6, but now that I think of it, that’d pull even more current than the 12 x 6. Maybe an 11 x 6? But now you’re moving away from the “hotliner” setup toward a pylon setup which is not what the Siren is for. I think you need a large prop (13”) and lots of thrust.

Well, a 12 x 5 perhaps would still tote that thing around nicely, but I just don’t think it’s quite the right setup. I think the kV is just too high. Something nearer the 1000kV would probably allow you to run a larger diameter prop on 3S or 4S.

For comparison, the setup I’m running (and LOVING!) is the 28-45-3600 Ammo with the 4.3:1 Great Planes gear box on 4S with the Aeronaut 13 x 8. Static I get around 1000W 75A, around 700W – 800W 40A – 60A on average airborne.

Tim
Hello Dwight.

You were inquiring again about this motor with your now overweight Siren with the glassed wing and reinforced fuselage. From what I understand, climb out was rather weak with your current setup, so you wanted me to revisit the above Ammo motor. Well, looking at it again, I think one could get the 36-53-2300 to run, but you'd have to prop down so much you might have a "fast" prop (high rpm, small diameter), but you would then be way down on thrust which is what you need to overcome the weight - not speed. According to my tests, you'd have to be down around a 12 x 5 or 12 x 6 maybe, but again, this gives you speed and not much thrust. I just don't see it working out. I'd try the 28-56-3200 Ammo with the gear box and the appropriate prop (I think it was a 13 x 11). Compare whatever I got with that setup (posted in an earlier thread and in my blog) to whatever you get with your MVVS and that will indicate what you should be able to expect.

What's the kV of the MVVS? (900kV if memory serves?) I bet it's lower than the kV of the 36mm Ammo which is why the MVVS can run direct drive.

The 36mm Ammo also weighs a ton - significantly less than the 28-56 or 28-45mm Ammos with gear box.

Just my random thoughts.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:24 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Niiiiiiiiiice!

Glad you got your Siren back and down in one piece. Musta made a mess inside the fuse.

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
If you don't end up trailing flames? You've passed the "smoke test".
No mess at all - though the carbon right at the front did get a little hot - as did the immediate area around the motor (not really all that surprising, as I did cook the donk )

And yup - all smoke, no flames (luckily)

Now all I have to do is work out my next power-train. Would love a Redliner - but still spooked a bit by the price (nearly double what the plane cost me RTF).

BJ