HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:39 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,732 Posts
Hmmm...

I'm not sure now if my 'internal sock' idea for repairing my nose will work or not.

Any suggestions?

BJ
BJ64 is offline Find More Posts by BJ64
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 07:01 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,759 Posts
Man, that's a tough one.

Um, er, uh, ??? New fuse?

The Tower Hobbies site says late October. That means they're probably not even in transit yet. I can check the computer when I get to work tomorrow. Or see if there is any in rummage or Scratch-n-dent returned from a customer.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:12 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRProton View Post
Man, that's a tough one.

Um, er, uh, ??? New fuse?

The Tower Hobbies site says late October. That means they're probably not even in transit yet. I can check the computer when I get to work tomorrow. Or see if there is any in rummage or Scratch-n-dent returned from a customer.

Tim
Thanks KRP.

In the mean time, I've decided it's either a bin-job or I try to fix it.

So I cut a 2" length of 1 1/2" carbon tubing ('sock'), taped the nose to as near profile as I could, roughed the inside up with some sandpaper and inserted the CF, and wet it out with West Systems 105 epoxy running 205 hardener. Then I bunged a toy balloon inside and semi-inflated it to help push the sock out onto the inner walls of the nose section.

It's still a bit cold here at home, so I hit it a couple of times with a hair-dryer. Looks like the epoxy has finally layed-up. I'll let it cure overnight and remove the balloon and tape in the morning to see the result.

Might still get a few more miles out of this one yet

BJ
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:54 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,732 Posts
Ok... so I'm impatient...

The epoxy in the tub and on the brush was already nice and hard, but still a tad 'soft' on the job.

So I popped the balloon and removed it and the tape. Just as well I did it at this time, as it allowed me to trim the prickly fronds off the front CF with some scissors before they went rock-hard.

And I must say - wow! I'm super impressed with the result

First time at this sort of repair, so I learned that I needed a little bit more epoxy on the initial prime of the surface before wetting-out the CF (couple of pin-holes where the new CF replaced the fresh-air from before). And that the balloon needed to go in a bit further, as there's a bit of a ridge where the CF sock ends - but nothing that I can't clean up with a 'dremel' (it's actually the rotary tool accessory that comes with the 400mm Ryobi Scroll Saw - longer and narrower than a Dremel so it gets into spots that you can't quite reach with a Dremel).

Once the epoxy has cured fully, I can sand the mouth of the fuze back to where it should be and cut some cooling vents. And I'll have to take a smidge off the firewall/motor mount to compensate for the slightly narrower i/d of the fuse now that there's a layer of CF tube in there. But I'm well stoked with the outcome.

Stonger...better...faster... just like the 6 Million Dollar Man - only a lot cheaper

Now all I have to do is see if I can find some info on what angles to use for down-prop and side-thrust for the motor mount...

BJ
Last edited by BJ64; Sep 09, 2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Added before and after shots montage
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:53 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,759 Posts
Uh, looks great!

I'm impressed.

I can get you the motor thrust numbers from work tomorrow. I will say it could use a little more right thrust than designed - mine yaws left a little during long up lines.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:21 PM
Dir. of Innovation at Alert 5
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Ok... so I'm impatient...

The epoxy in the tub and on the brush was already nice and hard, but still a tad 'soft' on the job.

So I popped the balloon and removed it and the tape. Just as well I did it at this time, as it allowed me to trim the prickly fronds off the front CF with some scissors before they went rock-hard.

And I must say - wow! I'm super impressed with the result

First time at this sort of repair, so I learned that I needed a little bit more epoxy on the initial prime of the surface before wetting-out the CF (couple of pin-holes where the new CF replaced the fresh-air from before). And that the balloon needed to go in a bit further, as there's a bit of a ridge where the CF sock ends - but nothing that I can't clean up with a 'dremel' (it's actually the rotary tool accessory that comes with the 400mm Ryobi Scroll Saw - longer and narrower than a Dremel so it gets into spots that you can't quite reach with a Dremel).

Once the epoxy has cured fully, I can sand the mouth of the fuze back to where it should be and cut some cooling vents. And I'll have to take a smidge off the firewall/motor mount to compensate for the slightly narrower i/d of the fuse now that there's a layer of CF tube in there. But I'm well stoked with the outcome.

Stonger...better...faster... just like the 6 Million Dollar Man - only a lot cheaper

Now all I have to do is see if I can find some info on what angles to use for down-prop and side-thrust for the motor mount...

BJ
Holy Hell! Your a Magician!!!!
What was that strange magic?!
That was a uber-fantastic job!!!
Demon 6 is offline Find More Posts by Demon 6
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:34 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
A wee bit off topic, but we're friends here right? I was busy with another project, its a Drone actually... Here are a few pics of the project and after that I'll be on topic... enjoy
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:40 PM
United States, FL, Hallandale Beach
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
BJ it looks fantastic, Impresive work, I hope your fliying your Siren soon again. I maiden mine today and I wasn't prepared for so much FUN I flew my 2 3S packs doing climbs and dives and this Lady just Rocks. Did som thermals but I have to practice on that.Im realy happy with the performance of this Bird, she is from now on my favorite In my Hangar.
btpalc is offline Find More Posts by btpalc
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jun 2009
24,732 Posts
Thanks for your kind words guys

I'm heaps happy with the outcome so far. But the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. Well, the 'flying' actually

Some down/thrust angle figures would be great if you can get them, KRP.

My Siren is pre-loved, and I noticed that while it had a heap of down-prop, it had no noticeable right-thrust at all - if anything, slightly left thrust. I can see it was previously dinged and repaired, so maybe the airframe is a tad twisted and they've compensated for it?

Still, it seems to have flown ok like it was (or maybe I'm just too much of a hack to notice LoL).

Is there some sort of test/s that I can do to determine if I've got enough down/thrust offset?

BJ
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
No problem with the original Firewall on my plane. Must be the ton of CA and Epoxi I used to reinforce it. What I did is actualuy a resapie from My friend Demon 6. I soacked the entire firewall with thin CA and used a los of 30 min Epoxi on the inside of the firewall. i have to say it works great. Also thanks to Tim (KR Proton) for hes recomendations on the power set-up works great, a title noisy but powerfull.

Tim is there a way to make that geardrive a ltle less rattlerly?? any suggestions??
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Jun 2009
24,732 Posts
Nice work on the Drone moulds, D6

Is that an RC flyer, or something Military? Big mother either way.

I gather that by vac-bagging, you're making skins - which will then be joined to form a 'hollow wing' with reinforcing ribs etc.?

BJ
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJ64 View Post
Nice work on the Drone moulds, D6

Is that an RC flyer, or something Military? Big mother either way.

I gather that by vac-bagging, you're making skins - which will then be joined to form a 'hollow wing' with reinforcing ribs etc.?

BJ
Yup, that's exactly right, hollow monocoque fuselage with a proprietary carbon spar for reinforcement. It's being made for a Search and Rescue roll... Also, some will be outfitted with cell phone "repeaters" and fly in multiples providing cell phone service to areas that the towers have been downed due to disasters, greatly enhancing SAR efforts.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Apr 2007
79 Posts
Dwight , we have a Nightflight event coming up on Saturday and Sunday is Swap meet at Markhamm. Are you going??
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:32 AM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,759 Posts
Motor thrust angles on Siren are supposed to be 3 degreed down, 3 degrees right. This in relation to the horizontal stabilizer - set the fuse so the stab reads zero and the motor should read 3 degrees down. Of course, 3 degrees right using the centerline of the fuse as a reference.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Jul 2011
653 Posts
Here's what I smoked up for a paint scheme...Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347313133.881760.jpg
Views: 88
Size: 43.2 KB
Description: