HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2005, 11:25 AM
Olympia, Washington
Joined Aug 2003
49 Posts
Mac OS X ZLog Interface Available

I have just released a development version of an OS X interface application for the ZLog altimeter: ZLogX. It can be downloaded as a disk image from the following URL:

http://www.ceebeeaero.com/

While this release is not yet fully featured, it currently allows a user to retrieve the stored configuration information in the ZLog unit, retrieve and plot stored altitude data sets and print the resulting graphs to either a printer or PDF file.

Important: please read the "Read Me" file that is distributed on the disk image, as it contains instructions regarding installation of the USB interface drivers, also included on the image.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Craig
rccraigb is offline Find More Posts by rccraigb
Last edited by rccraigb; May 03, 2005 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Updated URL.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2005, 11:33 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Way cool. Now all I need to get is a Zlog.
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Apr 06, 2005, 11:56 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Talontsi96 - Lol! Same situation with me. Not sure if I can spare $80 ATM ... just splashed out on a $314 BWAV system!
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Apr 06, 2005, 12:44 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Funny you mention that. I'm looking into a BWAV system too at this time... I'd love a Zlog too. Man the toy gathering never ends....You gotta live life with the modo: "The one that dies with the most toys WINS"
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Apr 06, 2005, 01:20 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,583 Posts
Goodjob, Craig. Now I have a reason to buy the Zlog. Now if the Zlog can record the trigger pulse then we know the altitude when the photo is taken. May be talk to Matt(MX) and see if that is possible!!

Will you have a price on the final version? or it is a share ware type?

Thanks for doing that for the MacUsers!!

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is online now Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Apr 06, 2005, 01:47 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96
Man the toy gathering never ends....You gotta live life with the modo: "The one that dies with the most toys WINS"
It's amazing how the lust for technology brings us modellers together isn't it!
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Apr 06, 2005, 01:51 PM
Phoenix
Joined Mar 2003
859 Posts
It is already possible to record the trigger showing the photo (or any other event you choose) with Zlog
TStokes is offline Find More Posts by TStokes
Old Apr 06, 2005, 02:07 PM
Olympia, Washington
Joined Aug 2003
49 Posts
Hi Brian, thanks for your interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
...if the Zlog can record the trigger pulse then we know the altitude when the photo is taken.
Yes, the trigger pulse is recorded in the altitude data set. ZLogX currently ignores this pulse value when constructing the altitude versus time plot. All I would need to know is how to display the pulse data to be consistent with the PC version.

Quote:
Will you have a price on the final version? or it is a share ware type?
Until it is more full-featured, ZLogX will be freeware. If I spend a lot more time on it, however, I will probably re-classify it as shareware at some point.

Quote:
Thanks for doing that for the MacUsers!!
My pleasure!

Craig
Old Apr 06, 2005, 03:10 PM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,583 Posts
Craig,

Felt kind of dumb without first learning what the Zlog can do. If the pulse is there, can you just plot that verse time. I can overlay the two plot together to get the altitude!

Thanks again.

Brian, an EAJ and a Mac User
bhchan is online now Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Apr 06, 2005, 04:15 PM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccraigb
...Yes, the trigger pulse is recorded in the altitude data set. ZLogX currently ignores this pulse value when constructing the altitude versus time plot. All I would need to know is how to display the pulse data to be consistent with the PC version...
Looks like the graph below. Also there is a button on the application to export the photo info as a text file:

Code:
#Altitude versus Time
#Time (sec)
#Altitude (feet)
#SS, NB 0808/98, 8c 1100HE, 10x7 APC-SF
#2004-03-21  Set 4, 499 samples
#499 sec, interval=1 sec
# pic    time   altitude
    1,      8,     -2
    2,     14,     16
    3,     24,     65
    4,     29,     90
    5,     34,    121
    6,     45,    171
    7,     61,    252
    8,    100,    386
    9,    110,    422
   10,    114,    444
   11,    127,    512
   12,    132,    525
   13,    152,    606
   14,    157,    620
   15,    162,    634
   16,    176,    679
   17,    181,    695
   18,    234,    795
   19,    239,    812
   20,    244,    818
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Apr 06, 2005, 06:20 PM
Olympia, Washington
Joined Aug 2003
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX
Looks like the graph below. Also there is a button on the application to export the photo info as a text file...
Thanks, Matthew. That looks pretty straightforward and workable for the next point release. Do you allow the user to enter the comments that are visible on the graph and in the exported text file? How is that done - via a dialog or editable text field on the graph?

So, just to clarify: the trigger points are not 'linked' to photo files in the file system on the PC, right? One of the earlier posts spoke of the PC application being able to 'show the photo'. That would scare me.

Craig
Old Apr 06, 2005, 06:39 PM
MX
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, Matthew. That looks pretty straightforward and workable for the next point release. Do you allow the user to enter the comments that are visible on the graph and in the exported text file? How is that done - via a dialog or editable text field on the graph?
Yes, there is an edit dialog that allows the user to modify the plot title, x and y axis labels, and 3 lines of additional description.

Quote:
So, just to clarify: the trigger points are not 'linked' to photo files in the file system on the PC, right? One of the earlier posts spoke of the PC application being able to 'show the photo'. That would scare me.

Craig
No, there is no link between the zlog data and the photo images on the PC. dreslism made a utility for the palm version that took the photo text list and renamed the photo files on an SD card with the altitude number as part of the name.

MX
Old Apr 06, 2005, 08:29 PM
Boulder , CO
Joined Oct 2003
425 Posts
Great work! My laptop that I take with me is an iBook, so I look forward to using this.

When I can get a ZLOG (Lipos are next), I'll have to figure out how to animate the plot and overlay that onto an aerial video in Final Cut Express.
buzzbee is offline Find More Posts by buzzbee
Old Apr 06, 2005, 09:08 PM
Whatever happens..Happens
Sanford, Maine, United States
Joined Aug 2004
628 Posts
good cuz if you use mac you must be high.

sorry i had to, mac software is good but i think the hardware stinks. i rather use linux on a pc.
jswjimmy is offline Find More Posts by jswjimmy
Old Apr 06, 2005, 09:08 PM
MX
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbee
...I'll have to figure out how to animate the plot and overlay that onto an aerial video in Final Cut Express.
rtideas already did that: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...as#post1979987

He has a video with the plot overlayed and a line following the plot as the video plays.

MX