HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2005, 08:35 AM
Believes in Foamies
Greece/Thessaly/Trikala
Joined Apr 2005
292 Posts
WinDex 1200C

Hello everyone .
We come from beautiful Greece . We Manufacture an old but not so famous as a model motor sailplane in small Quantities as a start . The WinDex 1200C . Our Website is in Greek for now . Please have a look . We are currenlty working on the English version .
I will start my reviews with the first 1,8 meter version .
My name is Apostolos . I will keep updating this thread as soon as I have something New worthing to be posted here .
Thank you very much .

http://www.greekwings.gr
DeltaMan is offline Find More Posts by DeltaMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2005, 08:49 AM
Believes in Foamies
Greece/Thessaly/Trikala
Joined Apr 2005
292 Posts
We are very proud for that model . The small one (1,8 m) flies great with a Selig 7037 airfoil tampering to RG 15 at the Tips . We have made 8 models up to now and all our friends who fly them are very excited . We fly our own with a simple 400 motor and 3S1P Li-Pos 1500 mAh . With this setup you can expect 7 to 8 climbings at Winch altitude ...
Old Apr 06, 2005, 10:19 AM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,177 Posts
Very nice looking plaen.

Fly'em HIGH
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Apr 06, 2005, 04:06 PM
Believes in Foamies
Greece/Thessaly/Trikala
Joined Apr 2005
292 Posts
Thank you very much for your interest .
Please take a look at the English version of our site at

http://www.greekwings.gr/ENGLISH%20Site%20GW/HomePage.htm

Best Regards ,
Greek Wings team
Old Apr 07, 2005, 04:58 PM
Quiet Power
USA, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Mar 2001
431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaMan
We are very proud for that model . The small one (1,8 m) flies great with a Selig 7037 airfoil tampering to RG 15 at the Tips . We have made 8 models up to now and all our friends who fly them are very excited . We fly our own with a simple 400 motor and 3S1P Li-Pos 1500 mAh . With this setup you can expect 7 to 8 climbings at Winch altitude ...

What brand and size of prop are you using?
Is it a folding prop?
costath is offline Find More Posts by costath
Old Apr 07, 2005, 09:53 PM
Believes in Foamies
Greece/Thessaly/Trikala
Joined Apr 2005
292 Posts
We use a 6x4 Folding Prop . We bought the first pairs from Germany . They didn't have any Brand on them ! Sometime we will use Cam Carbon or Aeronaut ... Should make some difference ! The worst thing is that we don't have time any more to experiment with Brushless setups . We always build something for someone else ...
The larger prop in use must be 6 inches for that plane . I would like to see it move with a 6x6 that's why we need a Brushless . It should bite some air then ...
I would love to use a small motor with a planetary Gearbox . The reason is the better brake effect that you have ... With Electronic Speed Controller's Brake ... you never know if it works on a good dive up on the hills ...

Regards
Apostolos
Last edited by DeltaMan; Apr 09, 2005 at 05:06 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:18 PM
Believes in Foamies
Greece/Thessaly/Trikala
Joined Apr 2005
292 Posts
This is the form of our WinDex 1200C .
Easy transport for the smallest of cars and very Durable . Seen here in a Cub Yellow appearance .
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:20 PM
Believes in Foamies
Greece/Thessaly/Trikala
Joined Apr 2005
292 Posts
... or ARC form if you prefer !!!
Old Apr 10, 2005, 02:26 PM
Believes in Foamies
Greece/Thessaly/Trikala
Joined Apr 2005
292 Posts
A full picture where you can see the Scale of the plane ...
Old Apr 10, 2005, 05:02 PM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
Hey,
Glad to see the windex in production. I got a few questions:

-Other than the airfoil change, did you stick with what is on the plan like only top wing sheeting of 1/32" and no swear webs, and only balsa spars?

-also, looking at the photos with the white/blue, did you use Solarfilm Lite (Solite) for the coverings?

-Where does the antennas run to? through the wings or out the bottom of the fin?

Last one...sorry for the questions
-is it really necassary to use ailerons? can you fly just as well with rudder (lets say theres no-to-light winds)?
oracle_9 is offline Find More Posts by oracle_9
Old Apr 10, 2005, 06:01 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,177 Posts
And the biggie - COST and SHIPPING ????

I've got a nice littel set up that could find a home in one.... and definately will for the chance to write a review for one

JimNM

OK - ansered my own question @230 Euros(~350.00 US, I think) - a lot too expensive for me. BUT it IS nice looking.

Good luck fellows
JimNM
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Last edited by JimNM; Apr 10, 2005 at 06:07 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 02:40 PM
Believes in Foamies
Greece/Thessaly/Trikala
Joined Apr 2005
292 Posts
Hello Gentlemen .
Thank you for your nice inputs . Please NEVER feel that we get Tired by your Questions . We joined this Forum to Share and LEARN things .
Answering :
On the Blue / Red WinDex you see in our pictures (the first that was made) , covering is Oralight . We use the same covering on the other planes (white) too . The first plane had one Wooden and one Balsa Spar .
We apply Wing Sheeting of 1 millimeter Balsa (1/32 is 0,8 mm) on Both sides .
Shear Webs are these small pieces of Plywood which are glued on the sides of the Spars between every airfoil ? If so , we use 1,0 mm of model Air grade Plywood (multi sheets) as far as the 8 mm Carbon Tube goes for re-enforcing the center of the Wing where the joining takes place (with the 6 mm Stainless Steel Round Rod) .
The Latter planes have two Wooden Spars . We feel better strength this way plus they make a fine Pocket for the Tubes we mentioned before .
Antenna goes free outside of the plane in our own , but it could be done another way .
It Can Fly only with Rudder for Sure (without Ailerons) .
230 euros is 295 U.S. Dollars as of today . This price is for an ARF Plane ! Shipping would cost about 25 euros or 32 U.S. Dollars !!
An ARC 1,8 m WinDex (Ready to Cover) will cost 180 euros !

Mr. JimNM , could you please explain what kind of Review you want to make with this plane ? If it is for a magazine we could REALLY Help with the price .

***** What we Want to mention and Please Keep That in Mind is that as long as WE Make this Model , we can make it with every little detail you need . For the Wings , for the Spars , the antenna , servo pockets , moving surfaces everything .Or Different Airfoils ! Just name it .
The only Extra Cost for you will be Time as we have to evaluate your needs and remake our Processes a little .

Best Regards ,
Gadetsakis Apostolos
Old Apr 11, 2005, 03:50 PM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
Thanks for answering all our questions well and so quickly too.

Ok, so you use a "D"-tube construction for the wings, meaning top and bottom sheeting of the 1mm balsa and shear webs.

I have trouble how with all the strength modifications done, how the weight is low ...600 grams. I guess the savings is due to the light covering, which looks nice in the photos.

CM
oracle_9 is offline Find More Posts by oracle_9
Old Apr 13, 2005, 02:44 AM
Believes in Foamies
Greece/Thessaly/Trikala
Joined Apr 2005
292 Posts
Hello oracle 9 .
Excuse me for not being so detailed The YELLOW WinDex is covered with Cub Yellow Oracover (normal) and with the Folding mechanisms it has a weight of 700 gramms . But it is SO Durable . Even for windy Slopes .
600 grs is the weight of the first UN-folded planes we made (White ones) and on which we used the OraLight .
We suppose that with the use of Light Monokote on the Folded ones + one lighter (maybe Brushless) Motor + Lighter Battery + 5 grs servos on the wings , one could go down very close to 600 gramms .

Apostolos
Old Apr 13, 2005, 10:11 AM
Quiet Power
USA, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Mar 2001
431 Posts
Even 700 grams (22.5 ozs) is incredible for this fine flying machine.
costath is offline Find More Posts by costath