HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:44 PM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
Gorgeous. Looks so clean. Did you sand of the panel lines? How are the windows done? And how did you make the scale supports for the floats?
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2011, 04:44 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster94gt View Post
Gorgeous. Looks so clean. Did you sand of the panel lines? How are the windows done? And how did you make the scale supports for the floats?
Hi Robster, thanks! I wanted a smooth look to the fuselage, so I covered the whole thing with lightweight filler, then rubbed it back. This meant that the panel lines disappeared, but I can always draw them back on. The windows are just cut out of black self adhesive vinyl, and more or less done by eye! The front and rear float supports are the original legs, but cut in the middle to widen their track and then rejoined with a bit of carbon tubing. They sit in the stock mount points, but I slotted the fuselage so they appear to come out of the side rather than from the bottom, and filled the slots once the legs were fitted. Then I had to bend the legs so that they still met the floats in the right place after being widened. The inner 2 diagonal supports are purely cosmetic, with the front and rears being structural. Once they looked right, I slid a length of teardrop section brass over the legs and painted to match.
davylah is online now Find More Posts by davylah
Old Jul 09, 2011, 04:04 PM
England , Essex
Joined Sep 2009
168 Posts
davylah ,what filler did you use on your spit is it just a one you can pick up at diy shops? also how to you paint the camo affect do you use a brush or airbrush?
hawkguy is offline Find More Posts by hawkguy
Old Jul 09, 2011, 04:21 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
davylah ,what filler did you use on your spit is it just a one you can pick up at diy shops? also how to you paint the camo affect do you use a brush or airbrush?
Hi, I didn't use that much filler in the Spit, as I wanted it to be as light as possible. All I did was to rub the foam down with some fine wet n dry, being carefull not to gouge it. The stuff I used was ' Model Lite Filler' if you google it, you'll be able to find somewhere local that sells it. As for the camo, it's just a good quality brush, and Humbrol enamel paints. I used 106 and 116 for the camo on the upper surfaces, and 165 on the bottom. Once I'd added the decals, I gave the whole thing a coat of Humbrol 'Satin Cote' just to equalise the finish.
Old Jul 09, 2011, 10:07 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
The Spitfire looks great. Almost reminds me of a Revelle display model.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jul 10, 2011, 01:43 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Thanks man, well it will be a display model from october. I'm leaving the RAF, and had planned to fly a Spitfire display routine at my leaving party. After the display, the Spitfire will be stripped of its electronics and hung in our squadron bar!
Old Jul 11, 2011, 07:18 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Thanks man, well it will be a display model from october. I'm leaving the RAF, and had planned to fly a Spitfire display routine at my leaving party. After the display, the Spitfire will be stripped of its electronics and hung in our squadron bar!
Very cool. Good luck with the flight, and your transition back to civilian as well!
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Jul 15, 2011, 03:09 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Here's the latest on the Beaver. Hobbyzone Cub wing trimmed and fitted with Nylon bolts, and decals on. Finishing touches should be next week and test flight soon!

Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:36 PM
Joined Oct 2003
915 Posts
Looks great. Love the radial. Where'd you get the idea for the cub wing? Does it have ailerons? Are those GWS floats? Any tips on putting them together? I started mine years ago, but never finished them. If I recall there were huge gaps that needed to fixed between the foam upper and plastic lower.

Rob
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Jul 15, 2011, 07:51 PM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Is it just me, or is that wing bolted on back to front? In the picture it looks like the trailing edge is the leading edge.

Doc
docrob is offline Find More Posts by docrob
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:09 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robster94gt View Post
Looks great. Love the radial. Where'd you get the idea for the cub wing? Does it have ailerons? Are those GWS floats? Any tips on putting them together? I started mine years ago, but never finished them. If I recall there were huge gaps that needed to fixed between the foam upper and plastic lower.

Rob
Thanks dude, a couple of people on rcgroups have used the Cub wing in the past and had good results. I just wanted a more scale looking wing, and one with a full aerofoil section. The Cub wing seems much stronger too, and I was aware that my fuselage is a good deal heavier than stock. It doesn't have ailerons at the moment, but I've been toying with the idea of cutting them in. I'll see how it flies without first.
The floats are the GWS ones, but I spent ages trimming and filling them! You're right, the plastic lower bits were a terrible fit. I used a hot glue gun to stick the lower bits on, so I could fill the gaps and seal at the same time. I put more glue on than I needed to, and then trimmed it back with a sharp scalpel blade one it had cooled down. Even then I had to use some of the model lite filler to hide some of the messy glue gun work! I'm happy with them now, but probably wouldn't buy another set of GWS floats
Old Jul 16, 2011, 04:13 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob View Post
Is it just me, or is that wing bolted on back to front? In the picture it looks like the trailing edge is the leading edge.

Doc
Hi Doc, it must be a trick of the light or my rubbish camera but the wing is defnitely on the right way round. I'll post some more pictures next week once I've painted the wing. I want to try and get it out for sea trials once I've fitted the water rudder so I might even get some pics of it on the water!
Old Jul 16, 2011, 07:18 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,680 Posts
Here is a flight video of a GWS Warthog Sloper kit that I built late 2008. Read more about what was done to it from a previous post in this thread here.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...g#post11060724

Flight #2 here
7-10-2011 My Heavily Modified GWS Warthog (3 min 40 sec)

**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:35 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davylah View Post
Hi Doc, it must be a trick of the light or my rubbish camera but the wing is defnitely on the right way round. I'll post some more pictures next week once I've painted the wing. I want to try and get it out for sea trials once I've fitted the water rudder so I might even get some pics of it on the water!
Oh, OK , just looked that way to me , sorry.

Looking forward to more pictures. Best of luck on the maiden.

Dc
Old Jul 16, 2011, 10:36 AM
I've half a mind...
New Delhi, India
Joined Jul 2005
2,600 Posts
Damn!!! Went back and looked at the pictures again. I coulda sworn the leading edge is way too thin.
Did you sand it to fit the saddle?

Dc