HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:04 PM
WHAT THE...
Evansville, Indiana
Joined Jan 2005
1,576 Posts
Absolutely love your P-38!

I do agree the Corsair is one of the best flying GWS planes. Mine is ugly as sin, yet I am still ready to fly it at any time!!!
barmonkey is offline Find More Posts by barmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:06 PM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMRTIC View Post
That's an actual paint scheme. Most people know about Lefty Gardner's famous P-38 "White Lightning" that performed at air shows all over the US and raced at Reno for decades. That paint scheme is that very same aircraft back in 1947 at the Miami Air Races long before Lefty ever owned it. I've always thought it was just a really cool scheme.

It has changed colors many times.
Thanks for the history. Learned something new. Did I mention it looks great?
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old Mar 17, 2011, 11:04 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmonkey View Post
Absolutely love your P-38!

I do agree the Corsair is one of the best flying GWS planes. Mine is ugly as sin, yet I am still ready to fly it at any time!!!
Mine crashed the first two flights due to a bad Rx. Epoxied together and in true GWS fashion, I think it flies better w/ some epoxy in it. Here is my Corsair in its element today with a GWS P-38 by JMAH.

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old May 11, 2011, 12:20 PM
USA, NY, Buffalo
Joined Dec 2007
619 Posts
GWS Spitfire MkIX

I recently picked up a cheap Spit airframe, and decided to convert it to a MkIX. I may have made the nose a little too long though. I also added cannons which are fiberglass tubes with straws from a WD-40 can, and I cut off the old cannon blisters and carved new ones out of depron. This is only my second foray into airbrushing, but I am pretty happy with the results. I still have to put the PL344 decals on there.

The maiden went without a hitch, but I only had a chance to do a couple of circuits, because it was a little too windy. It seemed to fly pretty well though. Good job GWS! You are 6 for 6 in my book!
thrashmaster71 is offline Find More Posts by thrashmaster71
Last edited by thrashmaster71; May 11, 2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old May 11, 2011, 07:57 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
Nicely done!

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old May 15, 2011, 07:41 PM
It's Too Windy
Tennessee
Joined Nov 2009
662 Posts
Very nicely done.

Cheers,
Henry
DoubleH is offline Find More Posts by DoubleH
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:02 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Here's a couple of mine:

RAF C130 K (green) and C130 J super stretch (Grey). The K features lights, and opening cargo door. The J has lots of lights, and retractable u/c

davylah is offline Find More Posts by davylah
Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:05 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
My Islander, in old British Airways 'Dove' colours. This one is completely stock apart from 1800mAh Lipo and flies great.

Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:07 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
My Beaver, which also runs stock apart from 1800mAh Lipo. I use this as a camera ship at the moment and it handles the task very well.

Old Jul 03, 2011, 12:10 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
And finally my Spitfire, which in the pictures used GWS 350C and 9070x3 prop, but now uses a 1200kv outrunner from 4-max, a GWS 8040 and the same 1800mAh lipo as the rest of my stuff.

Old Jul 03, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined Oct 2003
921 Posts
Fantastic planes - amazing work. Great to see GWS looking as good (even better) as any of the RTF HK out there.
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Jul 04, 2011, 12:24 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Thanks man, I think RTFs have their place, but it's not in my hangar. I much prefer a couple of pieces of white foam that look a little like the plane I'm trying to build. This gives me the chance to finish them exactly how I would like them, and different from everyone elses. It's just too bad that GWS seem to have dried up with their new releases.
Old Jul 04, 2011, 08:46 AM
Joined Oct 2003
921 Posts
I agree with you on the white foam kits approach. Unfortunately, as you say, it seems like GWS has nothing new or original these days. Back in the day, GWS made some great planes that nobody else did - just look at your islander and c130. Add to that the fact that for the price of a white foam fuselage kit you can get an RTF complete with servos, esc, motor ...
Anyway, sticking with GWS is a labour of love, and it definitely shows in your work. Would love to see more.
Cheers,
Rob
robster94gt is offline Find More Posts by robster94gt
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:47 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Thanks dude, you want to see more? The only thing I've got in progress at the moment is another Beaver. This one is going on floats and will be modeled on Michelle Masden's beautifull 'Lady Esther' up in Ketchican AK.

Old Jul 08, 2011, 05:14 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
765 Posts
Here's my Floatplane Beaver as it is now. Just got to fit the wing, and it's test flight time!