HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 09:50 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,023 Posts
The cowl diameter is 1.75" and i am still looking for a suitable spinner. The dubro 2 blade one is too pointy and the one on there now is too small but at least its a 3 blade spinner.

Good Luck
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:53 PM
Sky Captain Of Yesteryear
Joined Nov 2008
95 Posts
Really, that small? Wow im gonna have to shop around for that one. If i find a good scale looking one i'll let you know
Max Powers is offline Find More Posts by Max Powers
Old Apr 30, 2010, 06:53 PM
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
Joined Apr 2004
485 Posts
!!!

Well i guess i'm officially ready for this season of backyard flying.I just made the switch over to Li-po power.All i can say is WOW-what a difference from the GWS 9.6V Nimh packs i was running berfore.Had to do a little foam hogging to get the 11.1V 1600mAh packs to fit.The blue Corsair is just a fill-sand & repaint.It turned out pretty good.The two-tone grey Corsair is fresh from the build table.This is the fourth flying season for the Zero & Formosa.I cant say enough about my trusty Zero.It looks as good as the day i maidened it!!!
ltz400 is offline Find More Posts by ltz400
Old Apr 30, 2010, 08:36 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Pt-17

How did I forget to post this one?

Sweet flying bipe! Fairly stock build except hogged out for 3s lipo. Power is a Power Up 400 Slow Fly (930kv) motor with an APC 9*7.5 prop. Had to add a chunk of lead to the dummy motor to balance out (the difference between that heavy motor/gear box and the outrunner). Put some foam fairings on the LG - eye candy.

She flies great - plenty of power and looks fantastic in the sky - a real head turner. She is a keeper!

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Last edited by jamesdr; Apr 30, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old May 06, 2010, 09:21 AM
ELECTRIC R/C
INNERKIP,ONTARIO,CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
352 Posts
GWS ZERO w/ LED NAV LIGHTS

Just getting started on The GWS ZERO, and I am going to light it with a Lumifly, FAA style 3 LED lighting system, with Strobe. I will be adding extra LEDs to the plane and try to keep it scale, and not a Blinki UFO.

The LED Lumifly Light Kit is small, very light, and will plug into any extra Rx channel so it can be turned on and off with your transmitter. I got 2 kits from Hobby King for $23, shipped. The LEDs have small, prewired, plugs and the circuit board can go inline with any Rx channel.

The Zero will get a coat of Green, Testors Foam Safe Spray Paint, and some other colour on the underside to hide the 16" carbon spar and the wire grooves, filled with polyurethane glue. Elmer's Ultimate Glue (poly) is used to glue most of the model, because it is stronger than the foam, foams up filling gaps, thus it is not heavy.
Jsutherland8 is offline Find More Posts by Jsutherland8
Last edited by Jsutherland8; May 07, 2010 at 04:37 PM. Reason: sp +
Old May 28, 2010, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2004
60 Posts
pimp the Mustang

Hi frieds,

winter was long in Germany, so I spent some more time in detailing my GWS Mustang.
Here are some pictures:
best regards
Tom
tom-tom is offline Find More Posts by tom-tom
Old May 28, 2010, 11:20 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Tom,

I bet you use a T Square and calipers to place a stamp on an envelope. That's magnificent.
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Last edited by dLdV; May 28, 2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old May 28, 2010, 03:48 PM
Joined Oct 2004
60 Posts
Thanks dLdV

Just returned from maidenflight one hour ago. A really hot machine, that mustang ! Flying weight is 700gr. but 200 watts make her to a real "race -horse"; very fast!! . Aileron throws were way to big, so I had to use the sticks only two mm each side.Landed her without damage but reduced the aileron throws 50% und set up Expo to 70%. Second flight is tomorrow.
br
Tom
Old May 28, 2010, 04:26 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Tom

What do you have "under the cowl" to turn a sweet looking 4 blade prop?

Jim
Old May 28, 2010, 05:14 PM
Joined Oct 2004
60 Posts
hi jamesdr

I used two slowflyer-props from Graupner (7x4) an glued them together to one 4-blade prop (I used CA and and wrapped a bandage of soft carbon stripes at that point, where the props were clued together). The bad point is, that the prop blades are not exactly in one line, but it works and looks much better than that ugly two blade props, which are often used for warbirds. The spinner is the original one from GWS. The prop basic-plate had to be build up a little bit longer ( see photo).
best regards
Tom
Old May 28, 2010, 05:34 PM
Joined Oct 2004
60 Posts
motor

I use that motor; best and cheapest cobo for small GWS models. Unlimited vertical rolls

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...3.8_Prop_Combo

br
Tom
Old May 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
Tom

Well done with the improvised 4 blade prop. The 2409-12 is a terrific choice - totally agree. It motivates my Corsair, 109, and my very missed Mustang (was no where near as well decked out as yours).

Jim
Old May 28, 2010, 10:43 PM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,023 Posts
I thought a 2409-12t would pull way too many amps w/ a 3 or 4 blade prop?

Regards,
Alan
GiusedtoBe is online now Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old May 29, 2010, 10:00 AM
On the Edge of Space
Exit 4, South Jersey, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltz400 View Post
Well i guess i'm officially ready for this season of backyard flying.I just made the switch over to Li-po power.All i can say is WOW-what a difference from the GWS 9.6V Nimh packs i was running berfore.Had to do a little foam hogging to get the 11.1V 1600mAh packs to fit.The blue Corsair is just a fill-sand & repaint.It turned out pretty good.The two-tone grey Corsair is fresh from the build table.This is the fourth flying season for the Zero & Formosa.I cant say enough about my trusty Zero.It looks as good as the day i maidened it!!!
Liking the two tone grey F4U. Was that paint scheme used in service or did you just do what you wanted?
dLdV is offline Find More Posts by dLdV
Old May 30, 2010, 12:58 PM
Joined Oct 2004
60 Posts
amps

@ GiusedtoBe
Quote:
I thought a 2409-12t would pull way too many amps w/ a 3 or 4 blade prop?
My GWS Zero use the same como (Tower pro2409-12) since two years with a 3-blade, 8x4 prop. Meanwhile: 200+ flights so far NO problems; cool motor and cool ESC.
The "homemade" 4 blade prop (smaller size: 7x4), which I use in my Mustang increases the temperature in deed a little bit.. Still waiting for my wattmeter from hobby city HK,then I can see how many amps that combo draws with that 4 blade prop.
Meanwhile I am flying with max. 1/2 throttle; still enough power and speed for my old eyes
br
Tom