SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 03, 2008, 01:04 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,880 Posts
Yep! Another Warthog that started life as a white Slope Glider kit.

This is my second Warthog. The first one I bought ready built some time ago and was poorly put together. It had a short lifespan. It was built weak. I had some very nice flights with this 1rst plane though.

I have many green warplanes and I decided to do a desert color scheme. I did some research on the camo colors and found this one looked good. The books gave me the layout of the peanut camo as it is called. The camo was tested by Fairchild and turned down as a standard color about the time of Desert Storm early 90's. They used a Peanut Camo Green. Ghost Grey, Camo Grey,etc as the regular colors.

I started the fuselage halves by laying 2 full length carbon fiber rods in place near the bottom. I then placed 2 shorter CF rods up higher from above the wing to the nose at about 1 inch down. I made a solid foam filler block for the nose area. I cut a line down in front and rear of the cockpit to about where I placed the upper CF rods. See the pictures. This is going to be the battery compartment. The top of the cockpit with canopy was finished with a floor and a toy pilot I found in the toy section of Walmart for cheap $2.25. The top cockpit section has 2 dowels in the front and 2 magnets in the rear to hold in place. The elevator has a CF rod in the hinge area for strength. I glued the fuselage halves together. I planned to have top loading batteries. I put in a Depron 3mm floor deep inside to velcro my battery too. The old battery hole under the fuselage was filled and I left a 1 inch square air outlet for cooling underneath the fuselage. The nose has a layer of 0.75 oz. fiberglass cloth and is coated with Waterbase Poly urethane paint. It is pretty strong now.

The Wing has 1 full length CF rod spar and further back a shorter CF rod past the wheel nacelles. You may not notice this unless I mention it here. The wing is not scale as I widend it 1 1/2 inches on the chord. Longer airlerons also. I did this to my first Hog and it worked nice having the extra wing area and is not too noticable. Remember, this is not scale aircraft. This is a semi scale plane built to fun fly.

The motors are 3-4 years old. I built them in the early days of brushless motors using CDRom parts and good magnets. I machined the bell and bearing housings on my Taig lathe. They turn up high rpms and sound sweet. They use the stock GWS 40 fan housings with 5 blade props. I have plenty of power here and it is proven already. The ESC are Castle 25 matched pair. The motor housings have 2 short carbon rods for the nacelle supports. The servos are 9gr Hextronics. I use a CF pushrod for the elevator.

I added wheels of foam to the wing wheel pods as I wanted that a little more scale. The nose is painted with a warthog for the final touch. The paint is blended colors I mixed from Walmart craft paints and sprayed on in thin coats for build up with not to sharp paint edges. The final overall coat is a lightspray of Miniwax oil poly clear gloss. Yep, don't tell me about gloss camo. I know. It is not scale. Lets get into perspective. Not scale.

GWS makes some great models. The sky is the limit to which you can rework them. I decided to just stay modest in this build so I can just fly it and enjoy the stand away realistic look in the low flybys. I installed a launch hook under the nose for pedal launch should I want to use it that way also.
Next a rebuilt older GWS Mitsubishi Zero "RUFE" for my seaplane collection. Look it up in the Search bar from an earlier post.
**Neons** Bob

See Post link here for the flight video. Updated 7-16-2011 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1318
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Last edited by **neons**; Jul 16, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2008, 08:33 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,508 Posts
Great detailing, neons! How does she fly with the custom motors?

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Dec 03, 2008, 09:34 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,880 Posts
Thanks Jim,
The motors and whole system have been flown a few years ago on my first Warthog. These motors have a very good power range and are reliable. The aircraft flys smooth an looks the way a warthog should look in the air. Not blistering speed flybys. Of course todays motors would make these seem like sheep. The layout is similar to that older one with exception to the battery compartment modification. For those that never had the GWS Warthog, they slid a small Nimh pak from under the plane into a small area. Many people had bad luck trying to fly the brushed version setup. Just very anemic and bearly flyable.

My first Hog's performance was very good. The plane flew mild rolls loops and inverts in scale like fashion. I can not say when I can fly this one due to my eyes are in bad shape and I hope they get better in the coming months. In the meantime I can pump out planes in the meantime while I wait.
**Neons** bob
Old Dec 03, 2008, 02:14 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons**
I can not say when I can fly this one due to my eyes are in bad shape and I hope they get better in the coming months. In the meantime I can pump out planes in the meantime while I wait.
**Neons** bob
Nice paint job, it looks great! Good luck with your eyes Bob, I hope you're back flying again soon.
Chris F is online now Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:57 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,778 Posts
My Sticks
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:34 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Nov 2006
28 Posts
This is my GWS fw-190 which I built as a Dora.

Changes:
Longer tail and nose, improved canopy, cooling flaps and a scale-looking spinner were applied.
It has retracts with correct angle, a cockpit with panel, and a scale surface with rivets and panel lines.

The paint scheme resembles that of "brown 9" from 7./JG26 (1945).

I was inspired by "stacker", who has also built the GWS 190 as a D9.
Jabo is offline Find More Posts by Jabo
Old Dec 23, 2008, 11:42 AM
Germany, BY, Munich
Joined Nov 2006
28 Posts
My first GWS plane:
A Me-109 which I built as a G6/R6 trop.

I reshaped the nose and the wing and added gunpods and a droptank.
The original plane was flown by Alfred "Martello" Hammer in the mediterran area...
Jabo is offline Find More Posts by Jabo
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:29 PM
Rochester, NY
United States, NY, Monroe
Joined May 2004
1,883 Posts
JustGoFly Videos of GWS Planes

GWS ME-109 - Glassed - JustGoFly 500T 3S 7x5 Prop
ME-109 Foamy - JustGoFly 500T Motor (4 min 54 sec)

GWS Slow Stick - JustGoFly 550XT Motor on 3S
Slow Stick JustGoFly 550XT Crash.mpg (2 min 47 sec)

GWS PT-17 on JustGoFly 450TH Geared setup
JustGoFly 450TH Motor on GWS PT-17 R/C Airplane (4 min 55 sec)

JustGoFly 450TH Geared - Stearman PT-17 Airplane (4 min 29 sec)

GWS Formosa on JustGoFly 550T Brushless Motor
Formosa and prototype JustGoFly 500T Brushless Motor (2 min 12 sec)

Formosa running JustGoFly.com 550T Brushless Motor and LiPo (2 min 25 sec)

GWS Formosa on geared JustGoFly 400DF Brushless Motor
Formosa on ludicrous setup - demo DPR Data logger (1 min 51 sec)

GWS Formosa on JustGoFly 400F Brushless Motor
JustGoFly 400F Brushless Motor on Formosa (2 min 5 sec)

Enjoy !

Vinnie
JustGoFly is offline Find More Posts by JustGoFly
Old Jan 03, 2009, 06:28 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
I have just assembled a GWS J-3 Cub for a friend.This Cub will be flown indoors and outdoors in no wind conditions.

I added the Cylinders and struts from the SDM J-3 Cub and these just set the model off nicely. Here are some photos.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jan 22, 2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Correct text error
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:48 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,880 Posts
I just finished a model of a Jap. A6M2 -N Zero (Rufe) Type 10 . This is a total rebuild of a well flown model that had about 50 flights on it and another beat older model. Between the 2 I was able to make a decent rebuild. The green one pictured is from 2005 and was very beat up after flying more than 150 flights and was broken up for parts. . The white rebuilt is based on a Japanese Ace pilot assigned to the Solomon Island in 1943. This model is a proven flier with very aerobatic capabilities.

The rest of my pictures and history story is posted here below.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5007
**Neons** Bob
Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:12 AM
Lipo abuser ... smoke on!
Joined Feb 2005
1,920 Posts
Awesome work, makes me want to finish my 262. Thanks for sharing!

Don
gp125racer is offline Find More Posts by gp125racer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: D100
Old Jan 22, 2009, 03:47 AM
damn gravity again
trowbridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2004
664 Posts
hi

thanks too gws for cheap kits that look good
supershuey is offline Find More Posts by supershuey
Old Jan 22, 2009, 08:25 AM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,905 Posts
GWS makes Cheap kits! You are the one that makes them look good!
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:45 PM
Pronounced "High Duck"
Marysville, WA
Joined Oct 2008
1,360 Posts
My GWS AT6. Built mostly stock with a 450 sized outrunner. A bit too much motor. I am considering replacing it with a smaller lighter one.
haiduk is offline Find More Posts by haiduk