Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 08:22 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Fantastic "article"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
My latest Corsair. Flew fantastically. Power system is a TowerPro 2409-12T with a 25A ESC, turning an APC 8*4 e-prop. A gust of wind flipped her hard over on landing and even though she hit the shack head on, the only damage was a busted prop and cleanly broken v-stab. Glued the v-stab on and replaced the prop and flew her again the following weekend.

I prepared the surface by sanding with 220 grit to get rid of the foam pimples, then filled in the mold marks with spackle and finished with a coat of WBPU mixed with baby powder. Sanded out with 00000 steel wool. The finish is Wal*Mart craft paint mixed to the right color and air brushed on, and final coat of satin finish WBPU sprayed on.

Video - thanks to Fred (on camera) and John (launching)
GWS Corsair (4 min 26 sec) (4 min 26 sec)

Love it!

Jim
Two things. did you ever get a chance to weigh it? before and after? That is to see the effect that your special paint job had on it.

Secondly, WOW............. looked like you were all set up for a nice landing, and then POW>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> do you have any idas as to what caused that sudden and unexpected turn to the plane's RIGHT?........ that POW sound HURTS. Like you said, tho, pretty good outcome considering.

Happy flying,

LarryR : )
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2008, 08:37 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,343 Posts
Dude that was freaking great at the end! was that a wind gust or a thumb slip! your plane looked like it turned dead right but If it had been a tip stall the plane would have rolled over and I think the same would have been true with a wind gust.
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Apr 08, 2008, 08:42 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Man that ain't nothing. I land like that all the time. GRIN

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Apr 09, 2008, 06:11 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
I didn't weigh the model - I haven't gotten around to getting a scale that is that sensitive. The weight addition is negligible.

I've watched the turn several times (and in my dreams/nightmares) and it was flat and sharp. I don't think I could have commanded such a turn (no rudder) if I had wanted to. The only variable is the wind, and the Corsair had just gone into the upwind area of the shack at low speed when the gust hit. I don't know - can't explain it otherwise. Sure didn't stall, just did a hard right turn. But as I said, other than a broken prop and v-stab, the only other injury was my pride. The following Sunday she flew just fine with no bad tendencies at all (just like all the other GWS Corsairs).

Jim
jamesdr is online now Find More Posts by jamesdr
Last edited by jamesdr; Apr 09, 2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2008, 12:26 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2002
6,343 Posts
Well when I used to fly my GWS corsair (Belly land no gear) I would always fly her into teh ground at speed and then only cut the prop when she was like 6 feet from where I wanted to land coming in a little hot stops most tips stall and keeps your plane moving in the right direction glad to here your flying again thats the most important info!
tallflyer is offline Find More Posts by tallflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition
Old Apr 09, 2008, 01:20 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,632 Posts
Nothing special, just my Zero and a couple of my Sticks...
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Apr 09, 2008, 01:58 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
A mystery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
............I've watched the turn several times (and in my dreams/nightmares) and it was flat and sharp. I don't think I could have commanded such a turn (no rudder) if I had wanted to. The only variable is the wind, and the Corsair had just gone into the upwind area of the shack at low speed when the gust hit. I don't know - can't explain it otherwise. Sure didn't stall, just did a hard right turn. But as I said, other than a broken prop and v-stab, the only other injury was my pride. The following Sunday she flew just fine with no bad tendencies at all (just like all the other GWS Corsairs).
Jim
I agree it was NOT a thumbslip [no rudder, you say] and it was NOT a tip stall [wing didn't dip].......... just like you say, a sudden hard right turn.

Sure wish we could see this in slow motion..... when I hear that "bang" into the shed I laugh [happy laugh cause you said no appreciable damage] cause it's happened to me in so many different ways. Well, it was ONE way to end an "ordinary" normal flight. Adds excitement, but don't do it again, ha.

Old Apr 09, 2008, 04:07 PM
Joined Feb 2008
3 Posts
GWS A-4 - Nearing Completion and it's Big Brother

All,

Here is my GWS A-4. Nearing completion. I need to detach the rudder assembly and add a servo (changed my mind on that) and add some strut covers for a better scale look. I also have constructed detachable gear doors and drop tanks that I still need to paint.

It's big brother is a Tam Jet, Turbine Powered A-4.

Regards

Bill
wrmattil is offline Find More Posts by wrmattil
Old Apr 09, 2008, 11:49 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Gorgeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmattil
All,

Here is my GWS A-4. Nearing completion. I need to detach the rudder assembly and add a servo (changed my mind on that) and add some strut covers for a better scale look. I also have constructed detachable gear doors and drop tanks that I still need to paint.
It's big brother is a Tam Jet, Turbine Powered A-4.
Regards Bill
Wow oh wow............... both are gorgeous. Thx for posting.

Old Apr 12, 2008, 09:55 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,204 Posts
re

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil waterman
This is my GWS pylon racer VOODOO . Clipped wings and custom EPP canopy. Goes great.
Awesome model you have there Neil! (Post #950)

Here's a pic of the real thing. She and a zillion other Mustangs came to Ohio last year for the Gathering of Mustangs & Legends air show...

Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:01 PM
Rejected User
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,632 Posts
What airport is that show at? I HAVE to fly up there for the next one!

My buddie has flown a 51D ("Hurry Home Honey") and I had teh chance but for some stupid reason didnt take it!

Can anyone fly in? I only have a C-150 But two of my friends have a Swift and a Navion that I might could talk them into taking up there and letting me ride along.
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:48 AM
Jinx13
Manila Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
162 Posts
Hi! This my 2nd Formosa 1,after Crashing my 3 year old F1 i got myself another one. This is my go anywhere airplane
Jinx13 is offline Find More Posts by Jinx13
Old Apr 14, 2008, 01:58 AM
Jinx13
Manila Philippines
Joined Jan 2005
162 Posts
This my Formosa 2..

My Formosa 1 and Formosa 2
Jinx13 is offline Find More Posts by Jinx13
Old Apr 14, 2008, 07:08 AM
Plane Crazy Hobbies
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2006
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70
Awesome model you have there Neil! (Post #950)

Here's a pic of the real thing. She and a zillion other Mustangs came to Ohio last year for the Gathering of Mustangs & Legends air show...

Thanks Mate,

I just love that mustang. It is such a stand out scheme. I am saving my cash to come over for the reno air races next year and see them in the flesh. Untill then, I will just keep having fun with my one.

Neil
neil waterman is offline Find More Posts by neil waterman
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:31 AM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,769 Posts
I have 20 videos of electric planes in this site on 2 pages.. No 3d flying. Sorry, I can't do that well. There are 2 GWS Spitfire vids though. The older one (page1) is with a 1300mah 13.1v with a TowerPro outrunner and 9x5 DD prop. The newer one (page2)has a 1500mah battery and slightly faster in 18 mph winds.
http://community.webshots.com/album/...PvLhcY?start=0
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**