HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2008, 11:00 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
I love my GWS 190! Doesn't bother me at all if it's not too scale. It still looks great in the air and I love the opportunity to do my own airbrushing.

If I really cared about scale I'd be building my own from plans or building plastic models to sit on the shelf.

Given the way the 190 flys, it makes up for any of the shortcomings in terms of looks.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2008, 11:36 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace
I love my GWS 190! Doesn't bother me at all if it's not too scale. It still looks great in the air and I love the opportunity to do my own airbrushing.

If I really cared about scale I'd be building my own from plans or building plastic models to sit on the shelf.

Given the way the 190 flys, it makes up for any of the shortcomings in terms of looks.
Yours is a nice example Fokker Ace and I expect that most people feel the same way about their GWS models. I wish GWS went just a little further in the design for the minority that spinnetti belong to. I don't think it would cost GWS any more.

I just finished a GWS P-51D and it is a great little model. It could be more scale too but I wanted something cheap to fly at work. It should look great with some paint.
Chris F is online now Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Feb 08, 2008, 08:16 AM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleviner
Tubo... nice!!!
What do you use specifically for painting these??? I've tried el cheapo WM rattle cans -- of course with no success. I am looking for another method without having to invest in a sprayer. I've got a new "white" P51 and want to paint it the same gray color as your P-38.

Thanks.
Just a foam brush, blue masking tape and craft paints. Craft paints are great for military style planes because they have a dull finish to them when dry. All my GWS planes are painted that way with great results. Look in my blog to see them.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Feb 08, 2008, 09:11 AM
David
Monrovia, AL, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,253 Posts
Thanks... do you not get any streaking when just using a brush?
dleviner is offline Find More Posts by dleviner
Old Feb 08, 2008, 09:14 AM
David
Monrovia, AL, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,253 Posts
Hey Chris... what batteries are you using in the P51? and how did you place them? Did you have to "hog out" any foam for them to fit. I've got 84gram 3cell 1000mah packs that i used in my Zero that are about 19mm thick and am wondering about CG and batt placement issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
Yours is a nice example Fokker Ace and I expect that most people feel the same way about their GWS models. I wish GWS went just a little further in the design for the minority that spinnetti belong to. I don't think it would cost GWS any more.

I just finished a GWS P-51D and it is a great little model. It could be more scale too but I wanted something cheap to fly at work. It should look great with some paint.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 10:49 AM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
Yes spinnetti, I take back what I said. You can often have a 100% scale outline and get away with it. I also agree that GWS could have done better with their FW-190, but you know that already. The reason I went with the GWS 190 is that it is so easy to modify to fit retracts and flaps. It's just a pity you have to fix all the other stuff too.
Yeah, I'm just grousing - the FW is my favorite, so I was disappointed since GWS has done such a nice job on some of their other models Have a great weekend, keep the shiny side up.
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying Flapjack!
Old Feb 08, 2008, 11:39 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,499 Posts
If you want to add a bit of shine to the craft paints (either from brush on or air brush) a light spray coat of WBPU does the trick. You can get it in gloss, semi-gloss, or satin finish.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Last edited by jamesdr; Feb 08, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 02:34 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,037 Posts
Quote:
Hey Chris... what batteries are you using in the P51? and how did you place them? Did you have to "hog out" any foam for them to fit. I've got 84gram 3cell 1000mah packs that i used in my Zero that are about 19mm thick and am wondering about CG and batt placement issues.
Hi, I had to rearrange a few things to make everything fit including the battery area. My lipos are too high and I want to use 4 different sizes from 3S 1500 mAh to 2500 mAh. They all fit now and I have my CG a few mm forwards than the instructions. I have only flown it in gusty wind conditions but am about to go out soon and try it so I'll report back with my CG. CG can be achieved with all the packs with a motor around 60 grams and a heavy spinner.

Good luck with yours.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 02:42 PM
Red Lake Falls, MN
Joined Aug 2004
157 Posts
Hey anyone what is spray on "WBPU"? I sometimes use Testors spray on gloss coat. Seems to work well but kind of pricey.
rlfgary is offline Find More Posts by rlfgary
Old Feb 08, 2008, 02:45 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,037 Posts
Water Based Polyurethane. I use the stuff for sealing wooden floors and brush it on I sprayed it on with an airbrush to seal my FW-190 but it clogs up the airbrush very quickly.
Last edited by Chris F; Feb 08, 2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 03:09 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
No streaking for me, ha.................

Quote:
Thanks... do you not get any streaking when just using a brush?
Couldn't resist that topic......... seriously, tho, I tried it and it's UN -believable; no streaks. You know what they say, tho........ try it on scrap.

I'm sure if you "plaster it on" it'll streak, but just paint as u usually do, using the foam brush, it was streakless.

If u have a problem, let us know what paint you're using; mine is Folk Art, and Apple Barrel.

LarryR : )
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Feb 08, 2008, 03:17 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Try Krylon H2O spray found in limited colors at your local wallyworld. It works nice for a rattle can and won't eat foam.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old Feb 08, 2008, 03:37 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,142 Posts
I for one have never had any problems with Testors (and Model Masters) rattle cans on GWS EPS foam, or depron for that matter. The craft paints are also one of my favorites as well. I usually plop down a line of paint and spread it thin with a brush.

My Me-109 in post 801 and P-40 in post 870 were both done by hand with craft paint. My A-10 in post 812 was done in Testors rattle can.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Feb 08, 2008, 03:41 PM
David
Monrovia, AL, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,253 Posts
thanks for all the replies... definitely helps.
Old Feb 08, 2008, 04:06 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
I for one have never had any problems with Testors (and Model Masters) rattle cans on GWS EPS foam, or depron for that matter. The craft paints are also one of my favorites as well. I usually plop down a line of paint and spread it thin with a brush.

My Me-109 in post 801 and P-40 in post 870 were both done by hand with craft paint. My A-10 in post 812 was done in Testors rattle can.

Pat
Pat
I forgot what nice work you do! That P-40 is a winner.
MERLIN
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16