HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 08:13 PM
O stewardess I speak jive
Willits, CA
Joined Feb 2004
1,142 Posts
SMRTIC:

That is one sweet paint scheme on that Corsair. What colors did you use and where did you find the decals? I just gotta know!
Jake Williams is offline Find More Posts by Jake Williams
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2007, 09:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
434 Posts
The colors I used were light ivory and rubystone red. I'm not sure what the actual colors were, but these looked pretty close. The red on the model looks more purple in the pictures than it really is. As for the decals, I had them made at the local sign shop. I just looked up the fonts and had them make them in the size I needed. The winged foot was easy, it is simply the goodyear logo.
SMRTIC is online now Find More Posts by SMRTIC
Old Oct 25, 2007, 11:05 AM
...missing the PE Slope Rebels
United States, MI, Manchester
Joined May 2004
3,022 Posts
SMRTIC
very nice!
Flying Beagle is offline Find More Posts by Flying Beagle
Old Oct 25, 2007, 03:06 PM
Nuremberg / Germany
Joined Oct 2007
6 Posts
Here is my GWS Zero, it's the green one.
I tried to airbrush it like the original shown at the right picture.

The silver one is the Zero of my friend.

At first my Zero was powered by the GWS 400 brushed motor + gear box, but I wasn't satisfied. So I decided to install a robbe roxxy bl motor.

Now my Zero goes very well!

Cu
Martin
bodo_71 is offline Find More Posts by bodo_71
Old Nov 01, 2007, 10:57 PM
Pull up, Bob, pull up!
Cupertino, CA
Joined Feb 2007
408 Posts
My GWS Fleet

Pico Tiger Moth
SlowStick
E-Starter
Formosa
n8leon is offline Find More Posts by n8leon
Last edited by n8leon; Nov 01, 2007 at 11:29 PM.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 03:48 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
My third PicoMoth (the original is still flying but the second one has gone to the great foam recycler in the sky).

Apologies for the unorthodox setting for the pics - ground wet/grass long but wanted to catch brief gleam of sunshine.

Painted with rattlecan acrylic. Decals home made waterslide. Powered by Ax-2306N- 2000Kv http://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITEDH...idProduct=5428
driving (for the moment) a GWS 5030SF but I suspect that may change to a 6050. Not yet flown but seems to be capable in workshop of hovering on a 2 cell 450 lipo. I'm really hoping it will just cruise at about 1/4 throttle as my present one does, but have more in reserve than the present one which can loop from horizontal but doesn't like a lot of vertical. Mind you, neither did the original full size Moth either.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Nov 29, 2007, 04:53 AM
Plane Crazy Hobbies
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2006
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Bp-12 Brushless Outrunner
CC Thunderbird 18 AMP ESC (Brake Enabled)
BERG 4-Channel DSP Receiver
Two E-Flite Micro Servos (Aileron+Elevator)
Apogee 2070 3-Cell, 10.5C discharge, Li-POLY
GWS Slow Flyer "Orange" 9 X 7
Stock Spinner etc....
Custom Paint and Build by "TurboDriven"
New Owner and RC FLYER: Gerry "Simano"

Here you go.....today's flight adventures with a very well built and nicely painted "RED BULL" GWS P-51D Mustang.

Thats one nice P51. nice to see different colour schemes on the planes. Watched the video, very nice. I did mine in Miss america colours.
neil waterman is offline Find More Posts by neil waterman
Old Dec 12, 2007, 02:08 PM
Lipo sucker
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
257 Posts
Must have been the Christmas colors that inspired me on this one. My buddy calls it "Kris Kringles 1944 sled". It sure is visible though. LG are removable and I used cut outs made from plastic soda bottles to make the bottoms of the nacells a little more dent resistant. This one has 4040KV 370 size brushless motors and it scoots very nicely.
Cpt.Krunch is offline Find More Posts by Cpt.Krunch
Old Dec 31, 2007, 09:19 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,047 Posts
Great! Another place to post pics of my GWS FW-190

It's a great kit except the unscale bits, especially the cowl. I had to make one out of balsa and part of the Park Zone model to make it look better. It also has a Park Zone pilot and spinner .

Mr Lin, why oh why can't your kits be just a little more scale and have all the bits people need like a pilot and a decent spinner Ultrafly and Thunder Tiger will be eating into your market because their models are more scale and come with spinners. I would like to use your three bladed props but there are no scale spinners for them either.

Anyway, I have built a FW-190 I am happy with. Thanks GWS
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:51 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
here is a couple pics of my fleet cant seem to find the rest of my planes
foam and tape is offline Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Jan 01, 2008, 12:06 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris F
Great! Another place to post pics of my GWS FW-190

It's a great kit except the unscale bits, especially the cowl. I had to make one out of balsa and part of the Park Zone model to make it look better. It also has a Park Zone pilot and spinner .

Mr Lin, why oh why can't your kits be just a little more scale and have all the bits people need like a pilot and a decent spinner Ultrafly and Thunder Tiger will be eating into your market because their models are more scale and come with spinners. I would like to use your three bladed props but there are no scale spinners for them either.

Anyway, I have built a FW-190 I am happy with. Thanks GWS
Thats the nicest GWS 190 I've seen... The GWS version is so horribly off scale I can't even look at them - but yours looks good!
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
Old Jan 01, 2008, 01:42 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,047 Posts
Thanks spinnetti. I remember reading your posts about its scale discrepancies before I bought the kit many months ago so I made a list of things I would modify. I also super-imposed a scale 3 view over the GWS 3 view in the instructions to get an idea of what was really out of scale and was surprised with what I saw. The tailplane and cowl is way oversize, and the main undercarriage is way too short. It does depend on which model of the FW-190 you are making when it comes to the cowl as to how long it will be though. I had to move my undercarriage a fair way out from the fuselage from its original position to get the right length, but a look at the front-on 3 view would lead you to believe it is already in the right position so I'm unsure of the accuracy of the drawings I have documented some of my mods in my blog.

The foam part of this model is close enough to scale (except the tailplane but I can live with that), it's just the cowl, undercarriage and tailwheel that spoil the illusion for me.
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F
Last edited by Chris F; Jan 01, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2008, 02:10 PM
Never Trade Luck for Skill
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2005
12,903 Posts
You guys would have a heart attack if you ever saw the Scorpio FW190.
But it is a great flyer.
MERLIN V16 is offline Find More Posts by MERLIN V16
Old Jan 01, 2008, 03:52 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,795 Posts
I like Chris F's overlay drawings. As far as scale goes, I think it is a matter of what you want to float your boat. GWS seems to have done their home work here. I think a true scale FW-190 model's flight charecteristics won't match the configuration that GWS came up with. The longer nose moments will help balance the plane better and smoothen the flight for a more general RC flyer. The larger tail surface will give a better control and forward stability even though there size would add weight in the tail section. If the stock scale nose was kept, you may then have to add more weight up front to get the CG right thus a heavier logy handling plane. It is a trade off here. I like scale planes very much but in practicality manufacturers would lose some of their purchasing audience. The newbie will have one heck of a time to get a scale plane to fly. GWS as other companies widened there purchasing audience by doing this. The scale plane cannot fly as good as the modified version in my opinion. I hear there is a designation (standoff scale) for the these type of planes. It all boils down to flight experience on the stick and your personal choice here.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is online now Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Jan 01, 2008, 03:59 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons**
I like Chris F's overlay drawings. As far as scale goes, I think it is a matter of what you want to float your boat. GWS seems to have done their home work here. I think a true scale FW-190 model's flight charecteristics won't match the configuration that GWS came up with. The longer nose moments will help balance the plane better and smoothen the flight for a more general RC flyer. The larger tail surface will give a better control and forward stability even though there size would add weight in the tail section. If the stock scale nose was kept, you may then have to add more weight up front to get the CG right thus a heavier logy handling plane. It is a trade off here. I like scale planes very much but in practicality manufacturers would lose some of their purchasing audience. The newbie will have one heck of a time to get a scale plane to fly. GWS as other companies widened there purchasing audience by doing this. The scale plane cannot fly as good as the modified version in my opinion. I hear there is a designation (standoff scale) for the these type of planes. It all boils down to flight experience on the stick and your personal choice here.
**Neons** Bob
I hear ya, but I'm not talking true scale, only scale appearance. I have the FSK190 and it flies great and is scale. They did a MUCH better job with the P40, so I was just disappointed they didn't take the same care with the FW.
They could have made the outline at least scale and had the same flying characteristics. The canopy shape and location are the worst of it.
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti