HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 30, 2005, 01:13 PM
put the kettle on....
Paddock Wood, Kent, England.
Joined Sep 2004
264 Posts
Thanks Red, look a little closer and there are some imperfections, hope it's in one piece after a few flights !
David A is offline Find More Posts by David A
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2005, 12:32 PM
Miles City, MT
Joined Aug 2003
45 Posts
My first GWS plane

This is my first GWS kit. I've used lots of their other products but this is the first plane. It's powered by a BP21 brushless outrunner. There are more pictures and info here.

BenJammin is offline Find More Posts by BenJammin
Old Jun 01, 2005, 12:51 PM
Outcast outlaw
As far away from RCGroups and the AMA as possible!
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
BenJammin -- that's a great paint scheme. When I first saw it, I thought it was Lefty's P-51 twin-sister to the White Lightning (see my avitar).

What's a BP21 brushless outrunner motor? Do you have a link? How does it fly with the outrunner? Can you go straight up?
Red 61 is offline Find More Posts by Red 61
Old Jun 01, 2005, 01:03 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
what IS that P-38?

[QUOTE=Red 61]BenJammin -- that's a great paint scheme. When I first saw it, I thought it was Lefty's P-51 twin-sister to the White Lightning (see my avitar).

OK, while we're ON IT, I've always wondered the story on YOUR P-38; Is it scale of a REAL P-38, with paint scheme; probably P-38 is my most favorite airplane; was a child during WW II and have loved them from the beginning; was there a story in your family??? or just one that you admire, or.........

LarryR
LareeRudee is offline Find More Posts by LareeRudee
Old Jun 01, 2005, 01:12 PM
Miles City, MT
Joined Aug 2003
45 Posts
Thanks Red. I was too lazy to paint and I've always liked the Thunderbirds so I thought what the heck. I've seen pictures of White Lightning but never heard of Lefty's P-51.

The motor is from Balsa Products http://www.balsapr.com/catalog/motor...ductId=U422859 It can be bought for $55 for the motor and esc combo. According to their specs it makes 21 oz of thrust on 3 cells with an 8x4 prop.

I haven't flown the Mustang yet but I have flown them on 14 oz coroplast combat planes with 2 or 3 cells. On 2 cells it makes a real docile flyer. Just right for close quarters combat without doing damage in a midair. With 3 cells on the same airframe it really scoots. My P51 came out right at 12 oz with a 3 cell 1200 so it should have no problems going vertical. I'll let ya know when I get a chance to test fly it.
BenJammin is offline Find More Posts by BenJammin
Old Jun 01, 2005, 07:00 PM
Things are looking up...
Orlando, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
1,376 Posts
I painted the underside of my Zero bright orange (training colors for Japanese pilots), to help with orientation at a distance. After two crashes due to losing direction I had to do something (I was flying bone stock with the dark grey wing underside), and wanted something a little different.

What a nice difference it makes for my vision flying. The plane flies great, it's only me who still flies terribly.

Rick
mechrick is offline Find More Posts by mechrick
Old Jun 02, 2005, 12:12 AM
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2004
77 Posts
Here's my another contribution to this thread. My GWS P51D Mustang.
Username is offline Find More Posts by Username
Old Jun 02, 2005, 09:03 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Rick -- I have to admit, my first reaction to your orange paint was WHAT THE HECK?! However, reading your story about training colors, it makes sense, and is COOL!

BenJammin -- I'm posting a picture of Lefty Gardner's P-51 "Thunderbird". I know there's a better picture somewhere out there, and I'll post it if I can find it.

Larry -- Thanks for asking! My avitar is of a P-38 owned by Lefty Gardner, called "White Lightning". Lefty flew it at air shows all over the country. Unfortunately, it crashed a while back, and they didn't have the money to restore it. He sold it to Red Bull (the drink company) which is restoring it in Australia. The White Lightning web site is here.

I took the avitar from a PDF file I found at a museum web site. You can find the PDF file here. The reason I was interested in that museum, is that one of my grandfather's P-38's is in that musuem. At one time, I thought the picture was of his P-38, but later found out it was Lefty Gardner's "White Lightning"... Oh well, too late to change the avitar!

My grandfather pionered the art of aerial photography for surveying purposes. He purchased several P-38's from the US Army Air Force for a mere $1,250 each! He cut holes in the bottom of the P-38 (making it an "experimental aircraft" because he modified the fuselage), and started his business. Kargl Aerial Surveys became lots of different survey companies over the years, most notably, Tobin Aerial Survey.

I recently met with two P-38 pilots who were stationed in New Guina with the 8th Photo Recon unit. These two guys fought the war without guns in their P-38's, and STILL managed to scare off a Zero or two! They ended up working for my grandfather in his aerial mapping business, flying his P-38's.

Two of my grandfather's P-38's are in museums on the west coast. One in Chino, California (Yanks Air Musuem), and one in McMinnville, Oregon (Evergreen Aviation Musuem).

I hear reports that you can pay $2,000 for a 20-minute flight in my grandfather's P-38 at Yank's Air Museum -- that's more than he originally paid for it!

Well, sorry for the LONG post, but you DID ask.
Old Jun 02, 2005, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Rick --
Well, sorry for the LONG post, but you DID ask.
Ha, DON'T YOU DARE BE SORRY; I got more than I had even dreamed of, but I loved EVERY MOMENT OF IT; even gave me goosebumps; so a big thanks to you.

My childhood dream was to be a pilot; fought hard to get into NAVCAD in 1957, but the end of the story is I couldn't; passed ALL the tests but one slight POTENTIAL problem with my eye test. Now, the closest I EVER got to being a pilot is in model airplanes, but THEY were in my life way back to 1947, oh, and watched a LOT of WW II planes in formation fly over Ohio when I was a kid.

Hey, I'd listen to more; you are SOOO lucky to have these stories in YOUR family.

Oh, did I say the plane was beautiful? It is.

LarryR
Old Jun 02, 2005, 11:37 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Larry -- you and me both, buddy... I was SO set on attending the Air Force Academy; I even went to Washington DC to get a letter of recomendation from a senator...

I visited the Air Force Academy, and noticed how tough it was to be a freshman. That's when I chickened out -- I never submitted my application; I never even became a private pilot...

I'm SURE I could have done it though... My reflexes are top notch. My eyesight is "better than perfect 20/20 vision" (in both eyes)... I'm even just under 6-feet tall (the Air Force doesn't like pilots over 6-foot because they don't fit in the cockpits very well). I guess if I had taken that road, I wouldn't have ended up with my lovely wife and three wonderful kids -- so things turned out all right after all.

Here are some other family facts: Some of my grandfather's camera equipment has been carried on the Space Shuttle. My uncle was an Air Force air crash investigator. My father was a captain in the Air Force. My mother has worked as a civilian in the Air Force long enough to retire this year... I guess I'm the "odd man out".

Maybe I should start a thread about the harrowing near-fatal air crashes my father and grandfather went though. I also have a lot of great stories about my uncle and F-5 / T-38 crashes he investigated...
Old Jun 02, 2005, 11:13 PM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
stories from the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red 61
Larry -- you and me both, buddy... I was SO set on attending the Air Force Academy; I even went to Washington DC to get a letter of recomendation from a senator...

Maybe I should start a thread about the harrowing near-fatal air crashes my father and grandfather went though. I also have a lot of great stories about my uncle and F-5 / T-38 crashes he investigated...
ha, i went to MY PERSONAL EYE DR to prove NAVCAD wrong, but that didn't work either; was tempted to get an attorney, but don't believe in that, so did nothing EXCEPT get married and have beloved kids; so no, me not even private pilot either, if i hit the lottery THAT IS THE FIRST thing that i will do, tho.

Yes, why not a thread on true aviation stories??? mine are not tooooo dramatic, but interesting and true. You sound like you must have a lot, so I'd encourage you to do it..... does it count if i had a boss whose DAD was an honest, real, true-to-life Tuskeegee Airman????

Keep talking, you're holding MY interest a lot.

Oh, my flite to the NAVCAD program was in a real T-28 Trojan.... big deal, they might say, but I'll NEVER FORGET IT.

And THAT'S why, I'm gonna paint my Formasa Like the Navy T-28.

LarryR
Old Jun 04, 2005, 01:59 AM
Rebuildexpert
n/a Posts
This is the third Beaver I have done two have been for flying friends.This one is all hand painted with a foam brush and latex paint.Then clear coated with wife's craft varnish with some glitter added to the varnish !!
Old Jun 04, 2005, 02:12 AM
Joined Sep 2004
2,744 Posts
latex paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebuildexpert
This is the third Beaver I have done two have been for flying friends.This one is all hand painted with a foam brush and latex paint.Then clear coated with wife's craft varnish with some glitter added to the varnish !!
hey, tell us more about latex paint; brand and source..... i don't wanna appear foolish, but do you mean, like, HOUSE paint???? I've seen some builders state that they DO use interior latex; I've not tried ANY paint, yet, so am asking seriously.

thx,
LarryR
Old Jun 04, 2005, 02:20 AM
Joined Mar 2005
45 Posts
Can you attach a bigger picture?

I think there's a plane in there, but I'm not sure
KeithCu is offline Find More Posts by KeithCu
Old Jun 04, 2005, 10:12 AM
Outcast outlaw
Joined Aug 2004
6,601 Posts
Larry -- here's a link to a picture of the interior house paint I use.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=396670