SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Michael Heer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 05:26 PM
Joined Sep 2006
435 Posts
PT-17 Maiden

I recently built a GWS PT-17

Configuration:

GWBLM004 brushless motor with 25Amp ESC

I got the NPS kit, and filled in all foam with light spackle, then sanded down.
I then applied carbon fiber ribbon on critical areas, and attached it with Polycrylic.

Then I painted wingtips and other relatively weak areas with polycrylic relatively heavy to add strength.

I put craft paper and polycrylic in certain interior areas of fuselage that appeared weak, and to horizontal and vertical stabelizer, and rudder.

Finally, I spray painted using $1.00 acrylic paint from the local craft store, using my $4.00 Harbor Freight spray gun. (now that's a deal). I had to thin the paint about 50/50.

I used a 2200 Mah 11.1 V LiPo from Epyaya.com. They had a great deal. Had to really cut out battery compartment to make room. Installed velcro straps to hold the battery in.

Epyaya sent me a motor combo with a 1060 hs prop. This doesn't fit on the standard shaft for the motor, so either have to use a prop-saver, or reduce to a 9060 prop.

I found that either prop size provides sufficient power for this plane, even with all the weight I added to strengthen the airframe and wings.

I found the nose to be very light, and since I had lost the clay, decided to drive a few nails into the nose to balance it out. This worked out pretty well. I think you could only do this with the PT-17 because the nose is so bulky! (compared to the spitfire and mustang).

I trimmed off the back-ring on the faux radial engine because this was too long for my motor, and I think it looks better short. I also drilled several holes in the sides to improve airflow around the motor.

I attached the faux radial engine using tiny magnets from the craft store. This works fine.

I'm still using the plastic struts, but purchased some wood to replace these, as I really don't like the look of the bent plastic. The plastic struts do not seem to impact flight performance. Holding the craft upside down by the wings does not seem to deform the struts any.

I setup my servos to have approx max control surface movement per the GWS instructions, and then setup my transmitter:

High rate: 25% exponential
Low Rate: 70% control movement - 15% exponential

I built-in about 20% mix between rudder and aileron.

First flight, trimmed way nose-up. I started on high-rates. (wrong!) and fought it for about 45 seconds, wondering if I would ever possibly be able to land this animal.

I got it up to about 200 feet, and worked the trim until it was finally hands-free.

Then, brought it home. First pass as a little high, so did a go-around.

The GWBLM004 is a great power setup for this plane! It isn't 3D, but climbs nicely at about 30 degree angle.

Second pass, she lined up perfectly on the runway (parking lot) and landed like a dream.

The plane now flies great.

It does nose-over when landing on grass. Anyone have tips on that?
JohnAsaPrice is offline Find More Posts by JohnAsaPrice
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2007, 08:05 PM
Joined Sep 2006
435 Posts
pt-17 follow-up

I read an article in RCuniverse about tail-draggers, and found a good description of how to land and avoid the nose-over.

Essentially, bring the craft in, and when a few inches off the ground continue to reduce power and pull back on the stick while maintaining the same altitude. This reduces airspeed and sets a nose-high attitude.

When the right attitude is achieved, continue to hold that and reduce power, and the plane settles in for a 3-point landing (all gear touches at once).

I tried it, and it worked! I was also flying on a field with shorter grass, which may have helped.

Anyway, Pt-17 is still good. Rolls are a bit sluggish.

I'm considering adding ailerons on the upper wing.

Anyone have experience doing this?

JohnAsa
JohnAsaPrice is offline Find More Posts by JohnAsaPrice
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2007, 09:33 AM
gws-online-dealer
Winterthur, Switzerland
Joined Jan 2006
591 Posts
1. Electric Impeller Meting in Pfäffikon, Switzerland

ME262 in a nice fast and low pass over the runway at the 1. Elektro Impeller Meeting Pfäffikon, Switzerland (14.07.07)

Thanks to A. Probst who took the picture
gws-rc-models.ch is offline Find More Posts by gws-rc-models.ch
Old Jul 23, 2007, 05:29 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
My GWS 190 with a GWS 10 x 6 x 3 blade propeller and the Early Bird GWS-40 that I am building, using the same propeller.

For tests of the 10 x 6 x 3 blade propeller on a GWS 2215-12 outrunner look at this thread

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jul 23, 2007, 06:09 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,242 Posts
I really like the look of these new 3-bladers. I've been working so much on my P-40, I've not yet had time to retrofit my P-38, Corsair or Me-109.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Jul 23, 2007, 07:26 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Pat

I have flown my GWS-38 with the oposite rotating GWS 9 x 5 x 3 blade propelles and I am impressed with its performance. See this thread for details

The GWS-190 is now charging the battery after the static test but the wind has come up a bit too much for test flying. Maybe this afternood at sunset or failing that tomorrow morning at dawn. These are the times when the wind is lowest here in Darwin.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:13 AM
Bub from that outer site
Joined Jan 2007
252 Posts
thanks Mr. Lin!

Love these things, thanks Mr. Lin!your bub, scoooper
scoooper is offline Find More Posts by scoooper
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:19 PM
Greece
Joined Apr 2004
194 Posts
Formosa on GWS floats.

I have not flown the plane yet. This is one is coming with me at summer holidays .
glaros is offline Find More Posts by glaros
Old Aug 15, 2007, 01:40 PM
Joined Dec 2003
44 Posts
A new me 262 is born in Belgium

Lipo 3 cells 2500 mah
2 X controller 40 amp
2 X GWBLM005A : Inrunner BL Motor 2028 Green (kV 3900)

Eole is offline Find More Posts by Eole
Last edited by Eole; Aug 15, 2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:00 PM
Bub from that outer site
Joined Jan 2007
252 Posts
I always wanted to go to Greece

glaros:: Thats a good looker for sure, I always wanted to go to Greece, where are you go'in on holiday? Eole::: GOOD LORD my bub!!scoooper
scoooper is offline Find More Posts by scoooper
Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:01 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Continuing my now habitual practice of concealing the fact that I can't paint by making my planes look as beat-up as possible (my wife looked at this and said:"Isn't that your new one? I didn't know you'd crashed it?" here's my P-40 (which btw hasn't crashed because it has yet to maiden).

No particular squadron markings and it's the usual rattle can spray job (grey and olive drab) with paint chips in overpainted acrylic chrome silver (run out of flat aluminium) and smoke/dust/dirt with artists pastels all overpainted in Johnsons Klear ("Future" in the US).

Warning to others who follow me:

There's no RAF wing roundels on the decal sheet (Note to GWS: RAF wing roundels don't have a yellow or a white circle - just red and blue) so I had to make my own. I have another US (sailplane) kit and there's one bit of the instructions that have always struck me as good phrasing: "The next bit can be a little vexing so take your time" - well getting the spinner to fit properly on this plane is EXTREMELY vexing I'm here to tell you. I'm still not happy with it and although I know others have succeeded with different ways I'm still thinking.

It's fitted with a 2215, GWS 10x6x3 and appears to balance pretty much straight off with a 1000 3 cell lipo.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:29 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,500 Posts
Nice work Roger!

Of course you aren't helping me any! I looked at my fleet this weekend and said I didn't need anything else but "NO!!!!" Now I have a gap where a P-40 can fill in. And soon enough there will be an A-4 in the hanger also. And I still have a longing for a GWS Mustang to kick up the dirt with. *** Sigh *** I see my problem. This thing called "work" keeps getting in the way. Since I was born good looking, why wasn't I born rich also??

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Aug 28, 2007, 03:32 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr
............... This thing called "work" keeps getting in the way. Since I was born good looking, why wasn't I born rich also??

Jim
If you discover the answer Jim, please pass it on to me!!!
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Aug 28, 2007, 08:30 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Roger,

Nice job on the weathering and battle scars!!

Here's what I will do with mine....
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Aug 28, 2007, 09:27 PM
RC is Lekker!
Johnson City, TN
Joined Feb 2004
879 Posts
carlos - is that your warbird?
nitroaddict is offline Find More Posts by nitroaddict